SASS Wire Forum

A big thanks to widder

Cheyenne Culpepper 32827

I currently own 3 Marlins, two spurs and until now, one that was just slicked up. During the past year I've had the opportunity to handle some widdermatics, which made me extremely curious as to how I cud take my Marling,that had had an action job by Long Hunter with things likes a one piece firing pin and lots of smoothing, and turn it into a widdermatic. Korupt Karl left his widder 45 cal with me to take apart and check it out.. then I went to Marauder's site and looked at pictures and read the descriptions to see if I wanted to tackle it.

what did I have to lose,,, wait a minute, maybe I better call widder first went thru my mind....yup...hey widder...

we talked for quite a spell, with more confidence I then went to work, put it back together and apart more times than I care to mention, but boy is it sweet. shot some speed rifle with it, had a couple glitches, couple more adjustments and now, it's off to try it again tomorrow. If it runs with live rounds like it does with my dummies and empties,,,,maybe I'll name it rockin....

thanks widder, yur my hero!

Cheyenne Purdy Boy Culpepper

He is an awesome fella. He helped me out on a rifle once. Sent my parts to him and he slicked them up for me. Rifle is flawless now. I ain't forgot Widder and will return the favor.

Wunt make it to ruskin, gonna shoot Punta Gorda, it's 90 mi closer, ie $28 less in fuel...;(,

have a gud un...

git to shoot wit korupt Karl for the first time this year...yu noze thit tha's gonna bea gud time..

CPBC

Thanks Shy-Annie.

Ya caught me off guard with this.

Anyhow, sure hope ya have a GREAT match with that rifle. :D

Hope to see you and DDD at the GA State.

p.s. - ifn ya read this early on Sunday mornin, tell my good Pard Korupt Karl I sez.....Howdy.

And buy him a cold Coke on me. I'll pay ya back at the GA State.

..........Widder

Widder, it ran like a dream, I couldn't tell any difference from my two Spurs, as far as the stroke is concerned. the spurs are only bout an inch shorter, but I couldn't tell the difference. It ran as fast as I've ever shot the spurs, and flawlessly! well cept when i didn't pull the trigger once, I gotta larn to keep my finger inside the trigger guard.....

Thanks again my pard. Iwl buy KK a beer this week....you did say a keg dint yu?

luv ya man

CPBC

YEA....KEG!

and BIG bottle of Jack Daniels Black.

AND of course, that cold bottle of Coca-Cola! And throw in a moon pie also. He deserves it.

..........Widder

Iwl make sure I safe the reciepts,,,,,,

less see, keg of beer, Jack black, coke, and a moon pie,,,just one or a case of moon pies....

Purdy Boy Culpepper

Wunt make it to ruskin, gonna shoot Punta Gorda, it's 90 mi closer, ie $28 less in fuel...;(,

have a gud un...

git to shoot wit korupt Karl for the first time this year...yu noze thit tha's gonna bea gud time..

CPBC

He's just avoiding me. You can run, but you can't hide ;).

Hey Dang It, some folks are indimidated by a Legend.

Its something you'll have to get use too.

p.s. - terrible match yesterday. To cool for my brain to work well and hands stayed alittle nippy also.

Just one of them days.

Hope you blasted em up.

..........Widder

Iwl shute wit yu anytime, just as long as Darlin is wit yuze

CPBC

Dang It,

they is 2 things I've learned while in SASS and meeting other Cowboys:

1. some of the finest folks in the world play this game

2. keep your women folk away from Purdy Boy and Korupt Karl............ :lol:

..........Widder

Dan; Apologies for Cheyenne....he ain't avoiding you.....he just thinks I'm prettier.....lol.]

KK

Dang It,

they is 2 things I've learned while in SASS and meeting other Cowboys:

1. some of the finest folks in the world play this game

2. keep your women folk away from Purdy Boy and Korupt Karl............ :lol:

..........Widder

WHO MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE?

Yu kant possiblee be tawking bout MEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!

Cheyenne Purdy Boy Culpepper,,,,whose on a mission to kiss every ladies hand in SASS!!!!!!!!

Knowin them is one thing....rememberin is another.

KK

• 3 weeks later...

I've read THIS PAGE so many times, I've pretty much memorized it. The modification seems too easy... what am I missing? One thing that is a little puzzling is the ramp cut is started behind the wings, rather than all the way to the front of the ramp - this would seem to create a fulcrum point about a quarter inch or so below the nose of the cartridge which, in turn, has to elevate the nose of the cartridge a tad. Combined with the feed angle the modification creates, this apparently doesn't lead to feeding problems...?

I've got a couple of .357 carbines I'm considering for this mod, as well as possibly my CBC. The CBC appears to have the exact same carrier as the 1894C's, which strikes me as odd, HOWEVER, my CBC was rebuilt by Remington and may have had a standard .357 carrier installed if they were indeed originally different. The carbines actually feed my 125 grain .38's a bit better than the CBC.

Howdy JBB:

In this process of modifying the carrier, you are actually cutting the middle portion of the carrier out. When this is done, it actually has the cartridge lying nearly flat (straight) when the carrier is in its down position. It actually should position the round with the bullet angle VERY slightly downward.

When working the lever open, the carrier pivots upward, which creates the angle feed concept.

It is o.k. to have the cut to travel alittle into the wing portion but I wouldn't overdo it.

When the bolt face contacts the rim, it forces the rim to slide upwards and into (under) the extractor at the same time it is entering the chamber. As it pushes the round into the chamber, the portion of the carrier between the wings begins to level the round for a VERY SMOOTH (and often unnoticable) feeding into the chamber.

The one change I've made on 'some' Marlins is that I haven't had to remove the tip off the bolt face that is under the extractor. I've put an angle on the lower sharp edge to keep from pricking on the case rim.

ALSO, on some Marlins, I've had to modify (bend) some extractors and on others, I haven't. This is one of the quirkinesses about those rifles.

IF ya wanta give me a holler, feel free to call.

work: 865 / 215-3059 (I can talk most anytime)

home: 865/ 984- 4455

Best regards

..........Widder

Howdy JBB:

In this process of modifying the carrier, you are actually cutting the middle portion of the carrier out. When this is done, it actually has the cartridge lying nearly flat (straight) when the carrier is in its down position. It actually should position the round with the bullet angle VERY slightly downward.

When working the lever open, the carrier pivots upward, which creates the angle feed concept.

It is o.k. to have the cut to travel alittle into the wing portion but I wouldn't overdo it.

When the bolt face contacts the rim, it forces the rim to slide upwards and into (under) the extractor at the same time it is entering the chamber. As it pushes the round into the chamber, the portion of the carrier between the wings begins to level the round for a VERY SMOOTH (and often unnoticable) feeding into the chamber.

The one change I've made on 'some' Marlins is that I haven't had to remove the tip off the bolt face that is under the extractor. I've put an angle on the lower sharp edge to keep from pricking on the case rim.

ALSO, on some Marlins, I've had to modify (bend) some extractors and on others, I haven't. This is one of the quirkinesses about those rifles.

IF ya wanta give me a holler, feel free to call.

work: 865 / 215-3059 (I can talk most anytime)

home: 865/ 984- 4455

Best regards

..........Widder

J Bar -

Widder means it. He has talked a lot of folks through this (me included) with only the satisfaction of knowing he's helped as a reward. To my knowledge, there is no difference except generation differences between carriers of the same caliber. .45 Colt, 44-40, & .44 Mag are all the same, but I have seen different configurations depending on the age of the carrier.

Properly done, you can smooth up a Marlin yourself. There is a lot of satisfaction in making it work on your own. (If you want a short stroke, Cowboy Carty and a few others are making that happen. I stump for Carty 'cause I know him, and the guy who taught him is Spur)

CR

JBB, I had a Comp model for a while, The only difference I saw was in the chamber, they were chambered for 38. The carrier was the same as my cowboy. I have an early non safery carbine that's carrier was different, it was the early style with a rocker for the pivot not the pin thru the carrier. And it looks like it would take a 44/45 easily, but I sheared off the rocker during a jam,,,,,bugger made me mad when it jammed, I got it to close,,,,,then I had to buy a new carrier....

The widder mod is EASY, just follow the directions, I used a grinder to to it....just dip it when it starts to heat up,,,,widder will talk you thru it.

CPBC

Well, for better or worse, that project is done - well one of them anyway - I've got no shortage of Marlins. :lol: I gave Widowmaker a call tonight and got off the phone with him at 7:42, then went to work on the CBC. At 8:38, I stepped outside and ran a couple magazines through it, and it seems to work fine. :) In all fairness, it was already disassembled at the 7:42 mark, so that saved a few minutes. ;) I deviated from the Web site directions slightly in that I brought the cut back to 1.5", rather than the quoted 1.45", in order to facilitate bullets as heavy/long as 158 grains.

There's a shoot about an hour away tomorrow, so maybe I'll go try it out. :)

Bazinga!

Seems to work fine, but all the misses are still there. :lol:

Must be a nut loose somewhere in the system! :D

Guest Chance Ramsay, SASS#18962

For $28 you are going to miss Ruskin and a free meal. Guess I just keep this ole cooler I got. Mightn' bring it to GA state match but it's a lot further than Ruskin with the weight of it and all might run my gas bill up going up there.

Chance

Imma thinkun Imma gonn hit ruskin, it's the type of warm up Iwl need for Jowga.

CPBC

Archived