SASS Wire Forum

Camcorder for videoing Shooters

I'm having heck with my real cheap video camera and am looking to replace it to video other shooters. I am not looking for a helmet cam type but one that I will hold as I video others. Are there any inexpensive ones that you recommend? I would like to be able to video for my own viewing as well as to upload to youtube for others to see, with shooter's permission of course. I need something user friendly and not too expensive.

Most of my video is shot with a Flip camera, dang, they've gotten more expensive since last I looked. Mine was actually a gift from my son who got it free for opening a bank account.

Several things that I really like about it that might translate to a search for something else are that it takes AA batteries, real easy to take extras and not worry about if it is charged up or not. Also it has a flip out USB jack to hook it up to the computer, no cable to drag around and lose.

As far as putting them on youtube, I don't bother getting permission from each and every shooter, RO, posse memeber who may appear on the video. But I do make it known that if someone doesn't want video of themselves shooting on youtube, to let me know and I won't take any of them.

Good luck with your search, let us know what you get!

I'll be looking forward to your videos!

Grizz

Most of my video's online have been shot with the video function on my pocket digital camera. I was really suprised how well they turn out and downloading and uploading to You Tube is a snap. If you are going to shoot more than about 10 stages you will need to spend $20.00 on a bigger memory card.

Okay, the Flip with 8gb is about twice as expensive as the one with 4. Will the 4 one do for me? I probably would like to take perhaps 30 or so videos in a day at a match with each being a minute or a bit more perhaps.

DC, I have the 8 and have never come close to filling it up, doubt I've ever gone over half. But, it's handy not to have to worry if I take it out for an annual and don't have time to copy to the laptop and clear off the camera.

But say a 6 stage match, video of 5 shooters per stage is 30 vids, each one average a minute with a little before and after the shootin, still leaves you plenty of room even with the 4 which gives an hour of record time IIRC.

Archived