SASS Wire Forum

Tennessee's Education Commitee hears SB570

Blackwater 53393

The Tennessee State Senate's Education Committee will hear discussion on SB570 this afternoon at 3:30 CDT.

This is the bill that, with a companion bill moving through the state house, would allow qualified teachers to carry concealed weapons on school property and in the classroom.

As I read the bill, a teacher who has obtained a carry permit, and completes forty hours of additional training on policing in schools, and with the approval of the local director of education, would be permitted to carry concealed in the classroom.

I have called the members of the senate committee and strongly encouraged them to support this bill. From what i could gather, the bill has a good chance of passing. :FlagAm:

The bill has been moved to next week's calendar because several other bills ran long in discussion.

I may go to the capitol and observe next week. I may even ask to testify!! :FlagAm:

My wife is a teacher and it bugs me that she is denied the right and the means to protect herself and her students while on school property and in the classroom!! :ph34r::angry::o

Archived