SASS Wire Forum

The "Assault Rifle" saga

Longshadow, SASS #70099

Thanks for putting this ignorant (legal) immigrant right on the true meaning of AR! There are no Armalites in South Africa, so I didn't know. Trouble is when it comes to public opinion whatever is PERCEIVED to be true IS true until and unless it can be corrected. I am certain that the majority of Americans if asked what AR means when attached to an "Assault Rifle" is just that - assault rifle type 15. Playing with alphabet soup in marketing is always risky and usually stupid.

As long as the AR remains so called, the industry will be playing into the hands of the gun grabbers, while simultaneously shooting itself in the foot.

While many manufacturers make guns that are of the AR-15 type.

The actual nomenclature on the gun is NOT AR-15 in many cases.

Ruger does not sell a gun labeled AR-15 it is labeled SR-556.

The term AR-15 is sort of like the term Kleenex.

If Armalite still makes the AR-15 that would be the normal name for their product.

I would think that Armalite trademarked AR-15, but I don't know that for a fact.

Thanks for putting this ignorant (legal) immigrant right on the true meaning of AR! There are no Armalites in South Africa, so I didn't know. Trouble is when it comes to public opinion whatever is PERCEIVED to be true IS true until and unless it can be corrected. I am certain that the majority of Americans if asked what AR means when attached to an "Assault Rifle" is just that - assault rifle type 15. Playing with alphabet soup in marketing is always risky and usually stupid.

As long as the AR remains so called, the industry will be playing into the hands of the gun grabbers, while simultaneously shooting itself in the foot.

Even if every gun owner in America begab referring to them as Stoner Design Rifles tomorrow, the term AR ands Assault Rifle is fixed in the minds of gun haters and will remain so.

Did you get a Mule with that 40 Acres? :lol:

As I recall that was a government stimulus program that I was not eligible for. ;)

Archived