SASS Wire Forum

The "Assault Rifle" saga

Longshadow, SASS #70099

The fact that the anti-constitutionalists have dropped the idea of banning so-called Assault Rifles is a great victory for freedom. However, although these rifles are clearly NOT military spec, and equally clearly NOT assault or battle oriented, less knowledgable people can be forgiven for thinking they are. I mean why the heck has the industry named them ARs? What else could AR mean but Assault Rifle? A dumb idea that's caused a pile of confusion and wasted a lot of taxpayer money. Or am I missing something?

It's immaterial whether it's AR for Assault Rifle or AR for Armalite Rifle. The anti-gunners are experts at 'messaging' if they couldn't jump on that, they would think up something else, for example, 'gun deaths' as if guns are roaming the street killing people, or pro-choice, the list goes on.

Well, not really immaterial if a firearms user doesn't know the facts, and repeats false stories thought up by the media, and gives other people reason to believe that the original manufacturer of the AR15 created or applied the name "assault rifle" to their product back in the early 1960s.

This current fight we have, as you say CBB, is a conflict where (as McLuhan stated years ago) "the media is the message." We need to make sure all of us gun owners can manage our words to be accurate and understandable! Or we will suffer consequences of seeming to be stupid, or raving, or lunatics.

Good luck, GJ

Why would Honda name a motorcycle CR...it MUST mean "crotch rocket". People see what they wanna see...or what the media wants them to see. Knowledge is power. No one researches anything anymore, except on the internet...where EVERYTHING is true!

Well, not really immaterial if a firearms user doesn't know the facts, and repeats false stories thought up by the media, and gives other people reason to believe that the original manufacturer of the AR15 created or applied the name "assault rifle" to their product back in the early 1960s.

This current fight we have, as you say CBB, is a conflict where (as McLuhan stated years ago) "the media is the message." We need to make sure all of us gun owners can manage our words to be accurate and understandable! Or we will suffer consequences of seeming to be stupid, or raving, or lunatics.

Good luck, GJ

Good point GJ. I suspect the media and the anti gunners are focusing primarily on the 'low information voters' of which there are way too many.

Capt. Bill, I think we're down to two camps, 'low information voters' and those of us who know, love and are willing to defend the Constitution to try to preserve the country we love. I'm not seeing much in between.

Capt. Bill, I think we're down to two camps, 'low information voters' and those of us who know, love and are willing to defend the Constitution to try to preserve the country we love. I'm not seeing much in between.

I think the low information voters are the ones we need to reach. They are the ones in between, the folks who never held an AR or maybe any kind of firearm.

Then you have us on one hand and the far left completely anti-gun crowd on the other. They attempt to bombard the low info voters with emotion and fear to sway them toward their point of view while using terms like Gun Violence, Assault Rifle, Made only to Kill, etc etc. They use Gun Safety now rather than Gun Control while saying they believe in the 2nd amendment too.

The onus is on we gun owners and organizations like the NRA to properly educate those people.

Although, it may appears irrelevant what AR stands for it is in its AR-15 civilian garb NOT an Assault Rifle.

True Assault Rifles have

full auto and semi auto fire,

fire a intermediate size cartridge

have a magazine

pistol grip.

Extra credit for those who know who actually named it Assault Rifle?

And what was the first Assault Rifle?

Why are they "Assault Rifles" if we have them, but the same weapon (except it IS select fire) given to Homeland Security personnel are referred to as Personal Defense Weapons.

Part of fear mongering.

Make someone afraid of it.

make it illegal.

register it

confiscate.

Process of removing things that scare a political party of idiots.

Half credit to Captain Bill Burt for the name.

Half credit to Garrison Joe for the name of the first one.

I vaguely remember hearing that they found at least one being used by the taliban or al-qaeda.

I don't remember the details.

this is funny

datsun autos------were nissAn from the start, but only in the USA

they knew the name nission would not sell well

so they changed it later

point being

some things are thought out more than others-----maybe

i know that my union step father would have never purchased a nisson

however he did purchase a datsun

same union guy----go figure----marketing----and unions hyprocracy

and this was in the 70's when ya werent supposed ta do that, per union direction

so you vote for carter, and buy a datsun,,,,,,,and pay union dues too

yikes

it mybe no wonder that I am the madd-0ne-mike

what was my lesson in life with that

Why are they "Assault Rifles" if we have them, but the same weapon (except it IS select fire) given to Homeland Security personnel are referred to as Personal Defense Weapons.

A couple of weeks ago I heard on the radio news that a "semi-automatic AR-15" that had been stolen from a police car had been recovered. I was struck with that same though - if LEOs have it, it's a "semi-automatic rifle," but put it in "civilian" (another term I hate in this context) and it is magically changed into an 'assault rifle."

Why would Honda name a motorcycle CR...it MUST mean "crotch rocket". People see what they wanna see...or what the media wants them to see. Knowledge is power. No one researches anything anymore, except on the internet...where EVERYTHING is true!

:lol: this is good...

GG ~ :FlagAm:

this is funny

datsun autos------were nission from the start, but only in the USA

they knew the name nission would not sell well

so they changed it later

point being

some things are thought out more than others-----maybe

i know that my union step father would have never purchased a nisson

however he did purchase a datsun

same union guy----go figure----marketing----and unions hyprocracy

and this was in the 70's when ya werent supposed ta do that, per union direction

so you vote for carter, and buy a datsun,,,,,,,and pay union dues too

yikes

it mybe no wonder that I am the madd-0ne-mike

what was my lesson in life with that

Could you by any chance be referring to Nissan?

Also Joe, semi-automatic AR-15 is redundant. If it were a full auto variant it would be an M16 or M4.

If I recall Correctly, When introduced it was referred to as the AR-15 and it was full auto.

Then the military adopted it as the M16 selective fire and a civilian version AR-15 semi auto were made.

If that be correct then AR-15 is long term ambiguous.

In todays terminology, AR-15 would refer to the commercial version.

During the talks and again after the evil Black Rifles were dropped from the bill, Diane Feinstein(MISS EVIL who spreads Falsehoods) stated two or three different times that she was very upset with the out come. She then preceded to say in front of all the cameras, The American People Don't need the right to have and use Bazookas.

Not one pro gun person present called her down on making such a outlandish stupid remark. There will be people who believe that the gun people all have and use a WW11 type of weapon intended to take out tanks and heavy entrenched enemy soldiers.

The Army still had some of these when I went in during the spring of 1965. They called them 3.5 Rocket Launchers.

If present I would of had to question MS. Feinstein where she read or saw such a weapon being used by a citizen in the USA.

I think she has us confused with some poppy growing nations where they do walk around with what is known as a RPG. She will do or say any lie she can come up with to further her cause of disarming the United States.

She needs to study a man by the name of Jefferson. Later Fairshake

Any AR type of rifles/carbines I own are "Homeland Defense Rifles". I don't plan on assaulting anyone or anything, therefore I will stick with Homeland Defense Rifles.

Homestead Defense sez I. :lol:

Hey Bob, I've got more than a Homestead to Defend. I've got 10,000 acres to protect, and for me it's HomeLAND. :)

Alas, I am a mere squatter determined to holt on to my 40acres.

At least everything is in range here. :D

Archived