barrel is connected to the frame by way of a very coarse thread, so
lifting the barrel lever pulls the barrel forward, away from the
chamber. Next, the hammer is manually cocked, which rotates the chain of
chambers and indexes one into position. Then the barrel lever is
rotated back down, pulling the barrel in and sealing it against the
chamber. Only now can the trigger be pulled, which fires the round
currently sealed up to the barrel.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXpJYNQJAcQ

I love this kind of stiff. Thanks for sharing; I am going to check out his whole series.

The Ferguson was the first breechloader approved by a military division (but not by the entire British military) in 1777.

Harmonica rifles were out by 1810. Most had 4 to 7 shot capabilities. They were more popular after the percussion cap become popular.

The US military had the Hall breechloader in 1819 and then went back to muzzleloaders until 1866!

While Custer and 208 troopers were dying on the greasy grass with their single-shot rifles (and the natives were shooting a range of guns including Winchester, Henry and Spencer repeaters), the Winchester-Hotchkiss and Remington-Keene bolt guns (5-shot .45-70) was being approved by the military for trials in various marine and navy groups.

There were many attempts at making repeaters before the guns that we shoot every weekend came along.

I love this kind of stiff. Thanks for sharing; I am going to check out his whole series.

My pleasure. I know what you mean, all the little oddball things that never made it. For me they help make history come alive.

This, with a little tweaking, coulda been a contender.

The Ferguson was the first breechloader approved by a military division (but not by the entire British military) in 1777.

Harmonica rifles were out by 1810. Most had 4 to 7 shot capabilities. They were more popular after the percussion cap become popular.

The US military had the Hall breechloader in 1819 and then went back to muzzleloaders until 1866!

While Custer and 208 troopers were dying on the greasy grass with their single-shot rifles (and the natives were shooting a range of guns including Winchester, Henry and Spencer repeaters), the Winchester-Hotchkiss and Remington-Keene bolt guns (5-shot .45-70) was being approved by the military for trials in various marine and navy groups.

There were many attempts at making repeaters before the guns that we shoot every weekend came along.

And all fascinating. Most in the "Damn, so close!" way, but some in the "What in the world were they thinking?" category. And little things like the Maynard Tape Priming System. Good idea. Just didn't take into account field conditions. Or the needle guns that had the really long and narrow firing pin penetrating half way into the cartridge to set off the primer there. Yeah, lets expose that thin wire to the propellent gasses and expect it to last.

What would the RO say if you showed up with this Treadle gun for a SASS match? And what category could you shoot in?

I gotta wonder about a chain-fire like I have heard about but never seen with a cap-n-ball revolver....

Only 2 in existence! I wounded how much that would sell for??

That was cool, thanks for posting.

JEL

Archived