SASS Wire Forum

Can a small local club be effective lobbying?

Our local gun club is not really large, not small either, about 350 members. We do a great job with all our activities and programs, including a junior shooting team, community relations and shooting activities (we are SASS affiliated). We are a 501C3 no profit. Our Board of Directors became concerned at a recent board meeting about the possibility of losing our non profit status if we became really involved in lobbying state and local government on the gun control issues we are facing today.

We decided to start a separate arm of the club dedicated to this effort alone. It probably will have to be a for profit corporation (LLC), something similiar to the NRA's ILA. We are in the process of getting legal guidance. A lot of our members are anxious to join and contribute $$$ to that end already. As soon as we can work out the details, I plan on donating some seed money to the cause and become envolved.

Me thinks this is a great way for local clubs to work at fighting this crappy gun control legislation without putting their nonprofit status in jeapordy. I have no doubts that the IRS would come after you as a nonprofit if you really started lobbying.

Our local gun club is not really large, not small either, about 350 members. We do a great job with all our activities and programs, including a junior shooting team, community relations and shooting activities (we are SASS affiliated). We are a 501C3 no profit. Our Board of Directors became concerned at a recent board meeting about the possibility of losing our non profit status if we became really involved in lobbying state and local government on the gun control issues we are facing today.

We decided to start a separate arm of the club dedicated to this effort alone. It probably will have to be a for profit corporation (LLC), something similiar to the NRA's ILA. We are in the process of getting legal guidance. A lot of our members are anxious to join and contribute $$$ to that end already. As soon as we can work out the details, I plan on donating some seed money to the cause and become envolved.

Me thinks this is a great way for local clubs to work at fighting this crappy gun control legislation without putting their nonprofit status in jeapordy. I have no doubts that the IRS would come after you as a nonprofit if you really started lobbying.

Wishing the best for y'all in Colorado....please stop the 'disease'!

GG ~ :FlagAm:

The answer is absolutely YES! DEPENDING ON…how dedicated, resolute and active you are.

Your small group can easily get to know your representatives on the local, state and federal level and pressure them consistently.

Your members can also become the nucleus of a growing force within your community and encourage others to jump on the bandwagon. As you set the example, momentum will surely grow and the more it grows the more your representatives will sit up and take notice. I’ve seen it happen and have been part of such efforts.

I salute you and encourage you to soldier on with resolve!

yes

your club can actually invite your representatives, local news paper rep, local tv rep, to your meetings and or range shoot day and let them see that folks actually have fun with guns and friends, just like bowling - golf - etc.

they may turn you down, but just make the point to re-invite them again in a few weeks or so

Most folks do not understand that side of firearms, as all they see on the news is that other side of bad-guys with firearms.

Archived