SASS Wire Forum

Do NOT Posse with?

Warhorse

In 9 yrs of shooting, in 5 states, in about 250 matches - I have met 1 hombre I would drive 500 miles back home if I had to shoot with AGAIN.

I had no idea I had that big an impact on you. :huh:

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some are the shooters request and some are my suggestion for peace.

For monthly matches it is pretty much pot luck dependent on who signs up first. I shoot with only one posse for our state matches and the posse leader communicates to the Match Director who is to be excluded from his posse 'for the peace and good of the order' to preclude 'draggers' and those with personality issues to maintain harmony and a smooth running posse

There are lots of reasons people asked not to be posse'd up with individuals or groups.

My data bases for the state and regional both have an entry for Do Not Posse With.

Some are the shooters request and some are my suggestion for peace.

The fun starts when you assemble all of the posse with requests and a person requested to shoot with the two that don't want to shoot together.

Life happens and sometimes it is better, for all concerned, to identify individuals that don't see eye to eye or care for each others company.

Often seen in the posse with request section of a match application; No Gamers, no fast shooters, no one from their home state, nice people and no black powder shooters.

Gamers/Fast Shooters need love to! :(

I seem to end up as Posse Marshel more times than not, but I always tell my posse that if they dont like the way I run a posse the "posse with" line works for dont posse with also and I make sure they know my name in case they want to not be on my posse again.

Not sure it happens but I do seem to end up with a lot of different posses. :huh:

Yer not really all THAT bad Goody. Why shucks, I wouldn't even drive out the driveway to git away from you ! :):)

Yer not really all THAT bad Goody. Why shucks, I wouldn't even drive out the driveway to git away from you ! :):)

Dang yusta B, you went awl tha way tu denver to git away frum me, then win yu larnt I had larnt yuze wuz in Denver yu wint an moved tu Texas......whar yu gonna hide next???? :o:P

CPBC ;):D

Dang yusta B, you went awl tha way tu denver to git away frum me, then win yu larnt I had larnt yuze wuz in Denver yu wint an moved tu Texas......whar yu gonna hide next???? :o:P

CPBC ;):D

So--- you noticed I stay out of Fl. in the winter, dija ?? :lol::lol::lol:

Posted · Hidden by Black Harris #154, March 21, 2013 - No reason given
Hidden by Black Harris #154, March 21, 2013 - No reason given

Why do you assume that their reasons are petty?

Believe it or not, there are sometimes good reason to not want to posse with others. Shooting CAS is a recreation...vacation...whatever. If one does not get along with someone else, why not make it best for both folks to have a more harmonious outting?

Then there are some folks that have done some pretty nasty things over the years to others. Believe it or not, some folks do not feel comfortable anywhere near these folks.

But then again...what do I know...

Phantom

Why, Phantom? Because I know the persons, history, and reasons involved. I consider their reasons to be very petty, almost a high school mentality. If I laid it all out, a certain moderator would just delete it, so why bother? I don't tolerate any interpersonal conflicts -- MDQ. Do it again, don't come back. We are a fun club, and people know they can come there and enjoy the day, without playing any childish games. That said, I do try to honor 'posse with' and 'do not posse with' requests at our annual. At monthlies, we have three posses, and folks can sign up with whichever posse they want. If they are avoiding someone, I never hear about it. I don't care who I shoot with, unless I am sharing a gun cart.

I have done it a couple times, because the person thinks he knows everything and tries to tell everbody how to do it or what they are doing wrong, and he will not do any work on the posses but shouts at others to do it. I founds out there are several members of his club that refuse to shoot with him period.

I always love it when someone tries to "explain cowboy shootin'" to me. Why, I've had them ask if I'd ever handled a lever gun or single action before! If they're doin' a real good job, I sometimes let 'em finish. But, often they're distracting me from figurin' out where I want to pause, slow down, stop or otherwise confound the TO. So, yep, I can see why some folks wouldn't want to posse with me.

"I never yet met a man that I dident like...."

'Tis true!

FJT

You ain't met enough folks. They'll catch up with ya, sooner or later. But, truthfully, there've been so few over the years, and in the larger picture, they don't seem to last very long... so the experience is well-watered down.

...and no black powder shooters.

Now really! Ain't there some law of the land about discrimination or some such? I mean truly, BP shooters are a color, creed and religion all rolled up in one pure embodiment of FUN! WHAT? Some folks can't abide seein' others havin' more fun than they? Tis sad, truly sad!

I've been meaning to talk to you about that! Frankly, I can't imagine someone not wanting to posse with you... about like so many others I could name, always a good time to be around.

I've asked to be posse'd up with certain individuals, mostly because we've only "met" on the Wire and I want to get to know 'em better; sometimes because they've loaned me guns and it doesn't seem right to then ask to move someplace else; :angry: some to see if they're really like they seem on the Wire... who coulda guessed that Phantom was so much fun! Also asked so I could revisit with old friends I haven't seen in years.

I'm absolutely positive that some have asked NOT to posse with me. Especially after the first time we posse'd together... if anyone can't abide my lack of seriousness about the game, that's ok, I don't go to "fit in with" someone else's idea of fun. And I'd just as soon not feel as tho' they're being forced to endure mine!

There's only two folks I'd rather not shoot with due to their personalities, but I have shot with one of them and I survived! Won't go out of my way to avoid 'em, just rather not shoot with 'em! Don't see either one of them all that much, so it really isn't that big a problem.

Warhorse,

Posseing with you is a real "Yogi Bera" kind of pleasure!

I have not used "do not posse" with, but that's not to say there haven't been some that I'd rather not spend time with. But then maybe they feel the same way about me. I really don't care. If they are going to act like AHs, fine with me, I just ignore them. If I'm in front of them, I'll shoot slower and hope the Black Powder smoke lingers more! I'm not in it for the speed, buckle, plaque or what have you, just the fun.

I can tell you shooting with pards like Warhorse make it fun! I did have one posse leader who smoked and was timing me, have the audacity to complain about the BP smoke I was making while he was puffing away! Go figure, I just laughed at him and walked away. Some folks just don't get it. Have fun, keep your nose clean and powder dry!

CorkscrewTom

I think people might not want to posse with someone like me who could be timed with a calendar, though

most cas shooters will not mind slow shooters, because we were slow when we started also

have fun, meet friends, many will become life long friends

Posted · Hidden by Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217, March 22, 2013 - No reason given
Hidden by Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217, March 22, 2013 - No reason given

Why do you assume that their reasons are petty?

Believe it or not, there are sometimes good reason to not want to posse with others. Shooting CAS is a recreation...vacation...whatever. If one does not get along with someone else, why not make it best for both folks to have a more harmonious outting?

Then there are some folks that have done some pretty nasty things over the years to others. Believe it or not, some folks do not feel comfortable anywhere near these folks.

But then again...what do I know...

Phantom

Tried to reply. I was selectively censored for a simple reply. Take it to PM. Moderators not being moderate again.

I refuse to shoot with smokeless shooters!!! :lol:

Rye

I like to be with one buddy who is a frontiersman with a bunch of smokeless shooters.

One place I like to shoot cause the folk like to watch me cause I shoot old school cap n ball. Hell, I will even say it. My good friends in Oklahoma at the Shortgrass Ranger range.

If I ever get my Bisleys outa the pawn shop I have a ton of smokeless 45 colt run up to surprise the general populace. :ph34r:

Folks either love me and know how to take a joke . . . Others despise me cuz I like to shoot different not necessarily fast or dun't like my running line of, . . .

I had a guy dis me at a shoot cause I get off the wall on the wire . . . . I told him I was possessed (Like Regan aka the Exorcist) by a high I.Q. and over active imagination, little common sense and alot of folks don't understand me . . . I wonder if he figured out what i really meant - youse a one dimensional Dumb A. I honestly thought he wanted to belt me one. I just whistled a happy tune and walked away (lest I had to pistol whip his sorry self). Ain't no fair fight, verdad?

Anal Retentive rule followers hate me cause I don't give a dang about my speed. I am most definitely not a lemming. PLEASE how many rules did they have in the olde west? Who cares if I wanna shoot 10 shots out of a LeMat? Shoot black powder 410 rounds? Demented buckeroo!

I had one guy get pissed at me cause he was loaning me his rifle shooting Plainsman 100 yards. I was shooting better with it than he was. I thought it was quite humorus.

Some East Texas folks hate me cuz they scared of being scathed by my rapier wit. I even been told I was not well liked because I was at the time teaching school. I hated school and its all your fault?

Plenty of folk like me, or tolerate me, I have taken up for shooters who were done wrong and given the left foot of fellowship. Hell one guy had to have been in his 80's The rules were changed mid match cuz he was shooting faster than everyone else was with a 45 NEF in a plainsman shoot. "We will fix him" I overheard the Pres and Vice Pres say. Hell, that gentleman showed me what a Bisley Revolver was my second shoot and let me try it. He stopped shooting as a result of this. I didn't not find out about it till I left cause I usually do not stick around for the awards ceremony. I would have fixed this right then and there. They made misses count double time.

Alot of times the rabid speedy quicksters have shined me on. I leave shouting, "I am glad you got to see me!" when I hop in my ride to go.

Yep, I am one onery MO FO, but when I am wrong I eventually admit it. Gotta be more like Paul and way less Peter. Guess what? I bet I have more the personality of a cowpoke that wanna say I am ALL HAT and NO CATTLE.

I am in this for fun. I did not even get into costumes and hats. I wore a Confederate Butternut Forage Hat and had a guy say he would not shoot with me cause I had it on. Can I help it if I looked like PAPA SMURF? My man, it is historically accurate and the fashion of the day.

I usually turn the "lets start shooting line" into a one liner almost religiously.

Whose yo Mama, Whose yo Daddy, Who was that Masked Man in the Alley -

Shameless Womanizer, Esquire of course

P.S. Look out! I could come to a match near you.

P.P.S. It has taken me two years to get my best friend back into the game because folks dissed him cause he, like me, is overweight. Guess What - MY GOOD FRIENDS AT THE SHORTGRASS RANGERS KNOW WHO HE IS. NOT A FINER BUNCH OF PEOPLE AROUND. I knew where to bring him back.

most cas shooters will not mind slow shooters, because we were slow when we started also

have fun, meet friends, many will become life long friends

I haven't had any complaints, but I must admit to feeling a bit self-conscious about slowing things up.

Not many folks want to shoot behind (or with), an ol' fat Frontiersmen who takes his time, leaves the stage fogged up, and quacks his lines through a duck call... and has a dry, off kilter, sense of humor... that often gets took wrong... and don't talk much otherwise...

Don't matter, I'll shoot and have fun my own way.

Not many folks want to shoot behind (or with), an ol' fat Frontiersmen who takes his time, leaves the stage fogged up, and quacks his lines through a duck call... and has a dry, off kilter, sense of humor... that often gets took wrong... and don't talk much otherwise...

Don't matter, I'll shoot and have fun my own way.

Precisely! Live and let live.

I haven't had any complaints, but I must admit to feeling a bit self-conscious about slowing things up.

Please don't feel self-conscious about slowing things down. It's my guess that folks are just glad you are there having fun with them. I used to apologize to my posse at the end of a match because I knew I had slowed the posse down. Everyone was so kind and patient with me.

I am so glad I didn't give up.

I have had people refuse to shoot right after me. Mumbled something about smoke and not being able to see the targets.

I may be either lucky or comatose because I have not run into anyone I would not shoot with again.

I experimented with some black powder 12 gauge square loads at Oakwood. I knocked down two two separate knockdowns about a yard apart. Dang if the R.O. made me shoot the second one in sequence again. I was belly laughing and complied. It took a while for the smoke to clear.

NOW I HAVE A SINGLE SHOT 10 GAUGE. I shot it at night at my buddy's place out in the schticks. I would post the video, but one of the innocent bystanders took the Lords name in vain. I shall return to the Oakwood Outlaws. I love the all shotgun stage. Folks tolerate me and my bud Parr and Mitch. I show early and put mine and my buddies name atop one of the 4 sign up sheets so folks can bail to another posse.

Shameless

I would not want to posse with someone that would LEAVE the posse they was on.

Go to a stage not being used next to another posse.

And then shoot at THERE clay birds that the shooter misses.

Just becasue he liked them and thought HE did not get enough of it when his posse

shot it.

Now that is the type person i don't want to shoot with.

In fact. i think after a warning. They should be ran off the range.

Guest Tennessee Stud, SASS# 43634 Life

I've done it... but when she found out... I nearly got divorced.

Dam Match Director had to go and blab...

ts

I've done it... but when she found out... I nearly got divorced.

Dam Match Director had to go and blab...

ts

Then don't have your girlfriend and wife shoot the same match..... :lol::lol:

HEY, TS, clean out your PM bx. ;)

LG

I won't posse (anymore) with this shooter:

Event 1:

"I think he missed number two pistol target. Didn't he miss number two?" I was the second shooter of the day on three freshly painted targets shot in two five shot Nevada Sweeps. Four bullet marks are on the target.

Event 2:

"I think he had a P. Did he shoot number one?" It was here that Sugah spoke up and said, "I think you're not a spotter." That was the case in both events.

So, after shooting numerous matches in a pile of states, we have only encountered one. The biggest problem we have now is there are so many folks that we'd like to shoot with........but everyone at the match on one posse makes for a slow go. :)

I do that on every single entry form I send in. I ALWAYS ask not to be on the same posse as that Philly Slim character. I think I'm cursed though. Either that or the Match Directors just hate me that much because I get stuck with him every time. :angry:

A couple of times I got lucky and Mongo showed up instead. Those were fun days. :)

I think I know what the problem is. Someone told me that you're sweet on Sour Kraut, so you're probably requesting to posse with her. Someone else is asking to posse with Sour Kraut and Philly Slim (believe it or not, some people like him.) If you knew the details of registration, you'd probably discover that you're also possed with whoever Sour Kraut put down to posse with. :ph34r::P:lol:

Iwill NEVER possy with Capt. Crunch again!

All he ever talks about is how stupid that KIX rabbit is and how Jimmy Dean is taking away his market share.

Please don't feel self-conscious about slowing things down. It's my guess that folks are just glad you are there having fun with them. I used to apologize to my posse at the end of a match because I knew I had slowed the posse down. Everyone was so kind and patient with me.

I am so glad I didn't give up.

Thanks, CL, I will keep that in mind. Unfortunately, I'm not sure I'm going to be able to slow things down at all. Between money shortages, ammo shortages, and time shortages, I think there is going to be a shooting shortage. I hope I can get out at least a couple of times, but I'm not sure. I can say that if and when I do, I will enjoy the company!

Never seen it myself, but being the nicest feller ya NEVER want to meet.....My name might have been in that category! LOL!!!!!

Doc.. ohhhh come on.. :) I love shooting with you! On another note. Yes I myself might have grumbled about not wanting to shoot with someone.. but I can pretty much get along with anyone, Most of the time it's only for a few hours.. and we are all adults (well mostly :) ) and we should act like it. After all "Real life"is like that.. there are people we aren't going to like.. but we deal with them anyway.

I shoot slow. I LIKE shooting slow. Some people don't like that, so I'm sure my name is on some do NOT posse with lists. Doesn't bother me in the least. On the other hand, I've never shot with anyone I wouldn't shoot with again, even some who were almost dangerous their first 1 or 2 shoots. I enjoy watching - and admire - those who can consistently clean stages in 30 seconds or less. That's what they like to do and almost every one of them I've met will go out of their way to help new shooters, shooters with gun problems, etc. I also will help in any way I can. In short, I guess I just have too much fun to worry about others' opinions.

Doc.. ohhhh come on.. :) I love shooting with you! On another note. Yes I myself might have grumbled about not wanting to shoot with someone.. but I can pretty much get along with anyone, Most of the time it's only for a few hours.. and we are all adults (well mostly :) ) and we should act like it. After all "Real life"is like that.. there are people we aren't going to like.. but we deal with them anyway.

Iwl try tuu behave, :huh: reellee I will. :( .....if I onlee got tu fer a fue hours...... :blush:

Luv yu Blu.... :wub:

Purdy Boy Culpepper :P

I shoot slow. I LIKE shooting slow. Some people don't like that, so I'm sure my name is on some do NOT posse with lists. Doesn't bother me in the least. On the other hand, I've never shot with anyone I wouldn't shoot with again, even some who were almost dangerous their first 1 or 2 shoots. I enjoy watching - and admire - those who can consistently clean stages in 30 seconds or less. That's what they like to do and almost every one of them I've met will go out of their way to help new shooters, shooters with gun problems, etc. I also will help in any way I can. In short, I guess I just have too much fun to worry about others' opinions.

Not to attack you...not my intentions. But I would say to anyone that reads this post and is thinking about joining in on the CAS/SASS game to consider my experience.

I have NEVER...EVER...heard anyone EVER say anything negative about someone that shoots slow...moves slow...thinks slow...talks slow...etc, etc.

Phantom

Archived