SASS Wire Forum

New Member Advice

Judge Lewis

I just jointed SASS and am looking for some advice. I recently purchased a set of SASS Ruger Vaqueros in 45 Colt. I have been unable to find any cowboy loads for these and have been shooting whatever 45 Colt ammo that I can find. The kick in these is not too bad, but I am wondering if it will be less with cowboy loads or if I should have bought something with less kick like a .357? Thanks for any advice.

Bernie

I shoot 45's and have always been happy with them. With the right load, the recoil can be very mild. Enjoy what you have, I think you made a good choice. Welcome to CAS.

Irish Tom

Thanks Irish Tom. What would be the right load and where can I find some or have some loaded for me?

Best to get into loading your own. Doesn't take much start up cost. Equipment often available right here in the classifieds.

The "right load" . . . ? . . . :o

for me . . .and many others . . . .

. . . . it is all the black powder the case can hold . . . and squash it down with a bullet . . . then SHOOT it . . . . :)

Thanks Irish Tom. What would be the right load and where can I find some or have some loaded for me?

Go to Hodgdons website and check out their Cowboy loads with Clays, and a 200 gr. bullet.

Hodgdons

Enjoy.

1 - Make sure you save your brass

2 - Seeing as you don't reload - Try to buddy up with a shooter that does and have them show you the ins and outs.

3 - Have fun

(You can buy an inexpensive progressive loader for under 200.00. Then you can reload for about 4.00 a box, thus paying for the tool in no time.)

Judge,

It's easy to make wrong turns when you're getting started. Fortunately there are lots of great cowboys to help you get started in SASS.

First I recommend "populating" your profile including your "location" here on the SASS Wire. That way, people can point you to locals in your area.

Second, although 45 Colt is fairly popular, 38s (357 light loads) are the most common and the lowest recoil.

Third, before you make any additional moves (which might be mistakes for you -- or not); shoot your 45 Colts (since you have them) at a club shoot. Attend a club shoot and ask questions. Many clubs will see that you get outfitted properly and let you try various guns to see what you like and what fits you.

In this game, it's real easy to spend thousands of dollars right off the bat just to decide that you want to go in another direction (Trust me, I've seen that movie). Let the cowboys in your local club guide you through the learning process. You won't regret it and you'll make friends for a lifetime.

Happy Trails, CK

ALWAYS a good idea to attend a couple of local matches before buying anything. Of course if you have a gun that is legal for SASS don't be so quick to trade it off for something else. "Run what ya brung" for a while.

The .45s will do just fine. The "cowboy action" section of the Hodgdon manual has lots of good data. Cowboy shooters tend to shoot lighter-than-standard bullets. My friends who shoot .45 caliber tend to use 200 grain or even lighter bullets which make for a very manageable load.

As you will probably be told a million times, the .38 is currently the most popular caliber but there are lots of people shooting the big bores. If you can shoot reasonably well with one hand, consider gearing up for the Classic Cowboy category where the .38 shooters can't play.

Judge,

Thanks for populating your profile. Vermonts a long way from Kalfornia so unfortunately I can't point you to any clubs that I would recommend. I would suggest if no one posts here on the wire from your area that you find the closest club(s) in your area from the listings in the back of the Cowboy Chronicle. Then call them or just show up at the listed time and introduce yourself.

Most clubs are really friendly and will guide you through the process. Before you know it, you'll be shooting and having fun.

CK

99.999% of us SASS/CAS shooters reload there ammo. ;)

Look for loads using a 200 gn lead bullet.

You can ONLY use lead in SASS.....

This should have been posted in the Saloon, BTW.

LG

Lumpy is correct that this section is for Classified (i.e. items for sale, purchase or trade). It could also be posted on the SASS Wire. However, we'll cut the Judge some slack because he's new.

CK

Thanks for all the good advice. I will check out the other forums and try to post to the appropriate one.

Bernie

Georgia Arms makes decent cowboy loads, though most of us load a bit lighter. They are on backorder, but I believe that you can put an order in online. They use Starline brass, which most consider top-notch. This will give you a feel for competitive ammo and a source for good brass.

This ammo shortage will pass. Use this time to talk to other cowboys by visiting local matches. You still need an outfit, leather, rifle, shotgun and a cart. Reloading is necessary to tailor your loads and keep costs reasonable. I load .38s for $.09 each and .45s for $.11 each, compared to $.30 and $.50. Reloading equipment is also pricey right now. It will settle down as supply meets demand and the panic dissolves.

Judge...as so many have said....go to shoots, talk to those who reload. When I started I was befriended by BUCKSHOT ED who reloaded for me. He eventually had me help with the making and lubing of bullets, cleaning brass and reloading. We split costs on powder and primers, etc. and that worked for 4 years. With his passing I went into reloading on my own and have for several years.

If you are going to stay in this sport you eventually will have to for $$$. I shoot 45's and use the starline Cowboy Special which is a 45 cal in downsized casing about the size of a 45 acp. Go, shoot, visit, ask a lot of questions and maybe find someone to befriend you.....this sport is full of cowboys who will help.

KK

I just jointed SASS and am looking for some advice. I recently purchased a set of SASS Ruger Vaqueros in 45 Colt. I have been unable to find any cowboy loads for these and have been shooting whatever 45 Colt ammo that I can find. The kick in these is not too bad, but I am wondering if it will be less with cowboy loads or if I should have bought something with less kick like a .357? Thanks for any advice.

Bernie

Bernie

Bernie

Many of my friends that shoot 45s, shoot 165 g bullets, making them have recoil a lot closer to 357/38s.

Thanks for all the advice. KK, I will checkout the Starline cowboy 45 casings. The web site says that you may have to decrease diameter of the ratchet on the cylinder by .010 to accommodate the larger head diameter in Ruger Vaquero. Did you have to make a modification like that? Thanks.

Judge, what you saw on Starline's site, and what Starline is referring to re: the larger head diameter, is the 45 S&W Schofield brass . This brass, as Starline noted, is not just a shorter .45 Colt. The .45 S&W Schofield is a historical cartridge used originally in the S&W Schofield. It is shorter than the .45 Colt, but other dimensions differ also. This is NOT what Karl was referring to.

Adirondack Jack created a cartridge called the .45 Cowboy Special several years ago, and the brass was headstamped as such. This was a .45 cartridge that was dimensionally identical to the .standard .45 Colt, but was the same length as .45 ACP, and used the same loading data as .45 ACP. This brass was made by Starline for AJ, but sold only by AJ on his web site. AJ even offered modified carriers for the 1860/1866/1873 toggle link rifles that would allow them to use this cartridge .Unfortunately, the .45 Cowboy Special brass is no longer available.

I use it in my .45 revolvers when I shoot black powder in them, as a full case load iof black powder in the .45 Cowboy Special doesn't hurt my already-injured wrist. I have almost 1000 rounds of this brass, and I'm hoarding it!

+1 on the reloading. You can get a single stage press pretty cheap, some dies and have at it! It's fun and while using a SS press is not fast it does teach the basics of how reloading works. You'll save a ton of money over factory and even save over buying reloaded ammo, if you can find it. Check out Midway, Cabela's and local sources for reloading stuff. You'll be ready in no time.

Welcome aboard,

Rye

How does the 45 cowboy special differ from 45 auto rim? Would 45 auto rim be a suitable replacement?

No. Although the overall case length is the same, the rims are different. The .45 CS has an identical rim to the .45 Colt (512" diameter x .060" thick). The .45 AutoRim has a slightly larger and thicker rim ( .516" diameter x .089" thick). (Dimensions from Ammoguide).Either of those larger dimensions will most likely cause a problem in a .45 Colt revolver, but especially the thicker rim.. .

The .45 CS is more than just a cut-down .45 Colt. If you cut down a .45 Colt, the volume is different from a .45 CS, and the case walls in the .45 Colt get thicker. The .45 CS was designed with the same volume as a .45ACP, so you can use .45ACP loading data.

Adirondack Jack did a terrific job of designing the cartridge, and took the chance on having Starline produce who-knows-how-many-pieces out of his own pocket up front. The case was a success, in my opinion, but I have no idea how many he sold. When he decided to retire, he offered to sell the business, but the deals fell through.

Some folks use .45 S&W Schofield brass, some cut down their own .45 Colt cases, but there really is no identical replacement for the .45 Cowboy Special case. Me, I'm using my .45CS brass in my revolvers only, so I don't lose any!

If you want to try the .45CS, try putting a Want-to-Buy post on the Wire Classifieds .Or see if AJ's business is still for sale! ;)

AT $40 dollars for a box of 50 and the fact you need almost three for a match that's $150 dollars for one match. You could get a Lee Pro 1000 for about that cost (before people lost their minds) so I can't see why anyone would buy ammo. Plus you get to "groom" your loads so it's a win win in recoil and savings.

Granted the Lee ain't a Dillon but I used one for 10 years and never had on bad round come out of it. They are good for what you pay for one.......If money isn't an issue get a better press for sure.....but if money is tight or you load a couple hundred rounds a month the Lee will do the trick and won't break the bank.

Reloading is fun You can buy a hand held lee loading tool a hand held priming tool and do your prep work while watching tv steps of loading 1. deprime and resize the cases 2.bell the case mouth 3.install primers you can clean the cases if you want to after the resize/deprime stage but it is not absolutely necessary. at yhis point you have to sit down somewhere quiet (you need acouple of loading blocks) and put the powder in the cases that is step4 5. put the bullet s in the cases and then seat them and crimp minimum cost/ maximum fun also it is cool to shoot your own reloaded ammo Think you can get all you need from mid way or cabelas Buy a loading manual and some type of powder dispenser and you"ll be ready to go thre are tons of recipes for reloads I like Unique powder cause it"s so versatile Oh also good to have scale and a micrometer billy2feathers

In another thread it was announced that AJ reached a deal so the .45 Cowboy Special brass may be available soon.

Regarding reloading presses, one of our new shooters purchased a Lee Classic Turret Press (be sure it is a CLASSIC turret rather than Lee's other turret press) to get started. I think it's a great choice. Much less complicated and expensive than a progressive but faster than a single stage. The present insanity aside, the presses can be found online for just under $100; you can get dies, powder measure, priming tool and everything else you need and still be under $200. It won't take long to recoup that in ammo savings.

Thanks to all of you for taking the time to give some good advice to a newcomer. I am heading to a gun show this weekend and have a shopping list from your recommendations.

No. Although the overall case length is the same, the rims are different. The .45 CS has an identical rim to the .45 Colt (512" diameter x .060" thick). The .45 AutoRim has a slightly larger and thicker rim ( .516" diameter x .089" thick). (Dimensions from Ammoguide)

Forty-five Auto-Rim needs a thicker rim to allow for the thickness of the moon clip you would otherwise need to use w/ .45 Auto. To use .45 AR, you would need to shave the rear of the .45 Long Colt cylinder.

I am still new too - so new that I have not joined SASS yet (still contemplating a cool alias!).

I have taken the plunge on reloading for not just cowboy loads but all of my ammo (except shotgun).

If you have some patience, you can probably have your desired press, dies, etc before then end of summer (my prediction).

You don't need a progressive; a Lee Single stage would do. I use a Lee Single stage and have (and recommend) a turret press on the way (faster production but not as fast as progressive).

Archived