SASS Wire Forum

UN Small Arms Treaty - revived

This first came about when Slick Willy was frolicing with Monica in the oval office. It takes a 70% majority of the senate to ratify any treaty entered into by the government. They have never gotten close to ratification. They ought to just give up & forget it. But they won't because they want a communist government. They are so self centered and arrogant that they think they can make it work when no other country has been able to. But before they can go communist they must disarm us, the people of the USA. We must never allow that to happen.

Guest Loophole

I know a lot of Dems - and none of them are sitting around praying for a Communist government. Some of them are afraid of the independence and non-conformity of free men; some sincerely believe that we should all live in Utopia, with no crime, no hunger and complete peace, but without the realization of the cost of such control. I don't believe Obama wants to be the next Stalin. But I do believe that he lacks any respect for individual liberties when they are in conflict with his political goals.

Guest Loophole
Posted · Hidden by Black Harris #154, March 19, 2013 - No reason given
Hidden by Black Harris #154, March 19, 2013 - No reason given

I know a lot of Dems - and none of them are sitting around praying for a Communist government. Some of them are afraid of the independence and non-conformity of free men; some sincerely believe that we should all live in Utopia, with no crime, no hunger and complete peace, but without the realization of the cost of such control. I don't believe Obama wants to be the next Stalin. But I do believe that he lacks any respect for individual liberties when they are in conflict with his political goals.

This first came about when Slick Willy was frolicing with Monica in the oval office. It takes a 70% majority of the senate to ratify any treaty entered into by the government. They have never gotten close to ratification. They ought to just give up & forget it. But they won't because they want a communist government. They are so self centered and arrogant that they think they can make it work when no other country has been able to. But before they can go communist they must disarm us, the people of the USA. We must never allow that to happen.

Article II Section 2 of the US Constitution says explaining powers of the President "He shall have Power, by and with the Advice and Consent of the Senate,

to make Treaties, provided two thirds of the Senators present concur ..."

Where did you get the 70%?

Article II Section 2 of the US Constitution says explaining powers of the President "He shall have Power, by and with the Advice and Consent of the Senate,

to make Treaties, provided two thirds of the Senators present concur ..."

Where did you get the 70%?

2/3 is almost 70% like maybe 3.3% from it

I know a lot of Dems - and none of them are sitting around praying for a Communist government. Some of them are afraid of the independence and non-conformity of free men; some sincerely believe that we should all live in Utopia, with no crime, no hunger and complete peace, but without the realization of the cost of such control. I don't believe Obama wants to be the next Stalin. But I do believe that he lacks any respect for individual liberties when they are in conflict with his political goals

That's the problem, that's the liberal fantasy. That's where we draw the line in the sand to defend free enterprise, free speech, free religion, freedom to defend oneself and homestead, freedom against illegal search and seizure, and all the freedoms that make life worthwhile and that are guaranteed in our Constitution. Those are the free principles that drive humanity forward, not the backward notion of "Utopia"...the Russians have been trying that, by force, for 100 years and look where they are. WJ

2/3 is almost 70% like maybe 3.3% from it

2/3rds is the way the US Constitution describes it. 70 % is NOT the same! (Really 3.33333%)

With 100 senators this is the difference between 67 and 70.

That makes a difference between 2/3rds and 70% of 3 senators.

67 to pass or 70 to pass, which one? Constitution says 67.

70% would therefore be erroneous.

I am very concerned about laws passed by our elected officials, not international treaties.

I am very concerned about laws passed by our elected officials, not international treaties.

I am concerned about all laws that even attempt to encroach our 2nd Amendment - domestic and international - and so is the NRA.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/us-nra-square-off-over-small-arms-treaty/2013/03/16/ae495dae-8d76-11e2-b63f-f53fb9f2fcb4_story.html

Keep vigilant to all of it - don't put blinders on. Of course we have our local, state, and national issues....but keep attentive to ALL attempts to stifle our 2nd Amendment right!

GG ~ :FlagAm:

NO international treaty can violate our Constitution. Obama can sign as many of those he wants, no big deal.,

For now ...yes - but again - it's the continue attack on the 2nd Amendment - let's say...20-30 years from now... that the Senate does in fact have a huge liberal shift and they feel the Constitution needs changes to 'keep up with modern times' - that could be trouble. You need to get your head out of the sand and think of the future of America - not just you.

Your 'head-in-the-sand' thinking is the same that folks thought about the 'untouchable' 2nd Amendment - now look where we are are...folks like you and your complacent thinking are dangerous to this Republic.

GG ~ :FlagAm:

I agree with GGs last post. We must be ever vigilant of the threats to our 2nd Amendment. That is why I have posted the details of how a treaty is ratified.

Many believe mistakenly that the Constitution says that it takes 2/3rds of the Senate to ratify. The ACTUAL wording is 2/3rds of the senators present. This suggests that the ratification of a treaty does NOT require a quorum. This could be used as a backdoor by devious democrats to get it ratified.

In Article II section 2 referring to the powers of the President the constitution prescribes the power of the treaty as;

He shall have Power, by and with the Advice and Consent of the Senate,
to make Treaties, provided two thirds of the Senators present concur

The senate is only one part, the next is that the Supreme Court would get a chance to reject the treaty as unconstitutional.

Another evil to pay attention to is the history of "treaty" like things that the President signs without senate approval.

2/3rds is the way the US Constitution describes it. 70 % is NOT the same! (Really 3.33333%)

With 100 senators this is the difference between 67 and 70.

That makes a difference between 2/3rds and 70% of 3 senators.

67 to pass or 70 to pass, which one? Constitution says 67.

70% would therefore be erroneous.

in my eyes Hacker it dose not mater if it is 67 or 70, every one that votes for a un treaty should be tried for treason period

Guest Texas Jack Black

You don't get it....obviously.

GG

I do get it very well, I do not waste the precious time the good Lord gave me worrying about henie penny propoganda.

Guest James O'Meara

Unless congress and the supreme court are willing to back it up, the constitution is just another old piece of paper.

The O'Meara Himself

Guest Texas Jack Black

Unless congress and the supreme court are willing to back it up, the constitution is just another old piece of paper.

The O'Meara Himself

And tomorrow the planet may spin out of orbit.

in my eyes Hacker it dose not mater if it is 67 or 70, every one that votes for a un treaty should be tried for treason period

I agree the treason part but we must be able to count and KNOW how many it takes.

It was not clear you knew how many it takes.

That difference of 3 could make the difference in who gets lobbied to stop ratification.

I agree the treason part but we must be able to count and KNOW how many it takes.

It was not clear you knew how many it takes.

That difference of 3 could make the difference in who gets lobbied to stop ratification.

Fair enough, but if this treaty dose get to the Senate, if 65 vote for it I will meet you in DC and we can beat hell out of 66

Fair enough, but if this treaty dose get to the Senate, if 65 vote for it I will meet you in DC and we can beat hell out of 66

You have a date except we might need to wait until 66 then do 67.

Unless the 2/3rds of those present means anything. Then it may only mean 60 of 90 senators present etc.

Archived