SASS Wire Forum

Shooting duelist with one hand on the props

I shoot in Classic Cowboy, which requires duelist style shooting. Went to a monthly match at a local club yesterday where all shooting is done behind small tables which are used for staging long guns as you go. After one stage the TO asked me if I noticed that I rest my left hand on the table (I'm right handed) while I'm shooting. I honestly hadn't noticed it before, but after thinking about it I realized that I do it quite often. His concern was whether or not it was "legal". I had no clue, either. After he consulted with a couple of shooters who have been in the game for quite a while, he decided that it was not a problem.

So last night, I read the Handbook from cover to cover, and nothing was mentioned about resting the non-shooting hand on the props. Does anybody else do this, and has anyone ever questioned it? I'm asking out of curiosity, mostly...

Well, pardner.... ya outta brace it somewhere; on your belt, the other gun, the table, the prop. If you watch the great shooters, TBone, Cowhand, Dragon Hill Dave and others you'll notice that most often that other hand is either going for, on or in the process of drawing the other gun.

But, if you like the table... use it! No, there is no prohibition whatsoever in doing that or using a prop to steady a rifle for a long bonus. There is only the time lost in the doing of it rather than getting in the habit of using the other hand for what's next in the transition.

As Brother King said, the fast shooters use their off hand to be reaching for the next gun or ammo. I'm not fast and I use that hand to brace myself on a table or a post, anything handy. One person at a state match said something a few years ago, but it is perfectly legal to brace yourself if you want or need to

I shoot in Classic Cowboy, which requires duelist style shooting. Went to a monthly match at a local club yesterday where all shooting is done behind small tables which are used for staging long guns as you go. After one stage the TO asked me if I noticed that I rest my left hand on the table (I'm right handed) while I'm shooting. I honestly hadn't noticed it before, but after thinking about it I realized that I do it quite often. His concern was whether or not it was "legal". I had no clue, either. After he consulted with a couple of shooters who have been in the game for quite a while, he decided that it was not a problem.

So last night, I read the Handbook from cover to cover, and nothing was mentioned about resting the non-shooting hand on the props. Does anybody else do this, and has anyone ever questioned it? I'm asking out of curiosity, mostly...

You are fine pard.

i shoot double duelist. So my other hand is at least trying to do something else.

Like going for other gun or sg shells.

Bracing your off hand on a prop is fine. You need to brace it on something to help with the accuracy of the pistol you're shooting at the time.

As others have said, if at all possible, brace your off hand on whatever gun you're going to use next. That will save valuable time during the transition. That being said, don't let placing your off hand on the next gun distract you from shooting the current gun. That distraction could easily cost you a five second miss which is much more damaging than whatever time you'll save during the transition.

Thanks, all. I've been trying for years to teach my left hand to be ready and to holster the first (crossdraw) pistol while I go for the strong-side pistol with my shooting hand, but I guess it's retarded or something, 'cause it has to far refused to learn. Instead, it just seems to want to hang out on the props, which I didn't even realize it was doing. I probably should try a little harder to edumacate it. Might speed up my times a bit....

NO call...the only place ya can't put your "off" hand is ON the revolver yer shootin' at the moment...which is why they call it the OFF hand, ain't it?? ;)

On hand, off hand...I get so confused....

It all started with the "wax on, wax off" Karate Kid movie.

Understandable.....

:lol:

I've been known to lean against a doorway or window frame while shooting my long guns too. I even got accused of being lazy yesterday!! :o

'Magine that!! :lol::lol::lol:

I've been known to lean against a doorway or window frame while shooting my long guns too. I even got accused of being lazy yesterday!! :o

'Magine that!! :lol::lol::lol:

While on the subject, what about long guns??? Rifles.

One question here. I see no problem of leaning your body on a post or doorway. You still are supporting the long gun with your arms.

However, I see an occasional shooter, shooting the regular rifle targets, (Not long Range), while resting the rifle on the post or doorway, or window sill, thereby using the object as a steadyrest, and not supporting the rifle with his/her arms.

Is this a legal procedure???

RBK

While on the subject, what about long guns??? Rifles.

One question here. I see no problem of leaning your body on a post or doorway. You still are supporting the long gun with your arms.

However, I see an occasional shooter, shooting the regular rifle targets, (Not long Range), while resting the rifle on the post or doorway, or window sill, thereby using the object as a steadyrest, and not supporting the rifle with his/her arms.

YES...it has been ruled as being to "no advantage" (actually it probably slows a shooter down considerably vs being able to freely swing the muzzle from target to target during the engagement)

edit: except for shooters like GJ ;)

RBK

I see an occasional shooter, shooting the regular rifle targets, (Not long Range), while resting the rifle on the post or doorway, or window sill, thereby using the object as a steadyrest, and not supporting the rifle with his/her arms.

I've even, on a stage where there were rifle targets set at about 80 yards ( :o !), knelt down and shot from behind a table that was convenient to the shooting position. Cleaned the stage, shot it faster than everybody else, and still got back up and moved to shotgun to finish. "Can he do that?" - "Yep, looks like he just did." :lol:

Good luck, GJ

Archived