SASS Wire Forum

Uberti 73 vs Marlin 94

Hoss Shoer

I've been looking for a new rifle and have thought Uberti 73, but there seems to be a large Marlin following. Is there an advantage to either other than short stroke on the Uberti? Are the Marlins as fast? I know the Marlin has a stronger action and might be less expensive. What am I missing? Thanks

I've been looking for a new rifle and have thought Uberti 73, but there seems to be a large Marlin following. Is there an advantage to either other than short stroke on the Uberti? Are the Marlins as fast? I know the Marlin has a stronger action and might be less expensive. What am I missing? Thanks

I like the weight of the 73 better and it has a bigger trigger guard which I like but that is just a matter of preference. I would say the average shooter can probably run a slicked 73 faster than a marlin but there are some very fast marlin shooters out there. The world record is held by Duce with a marlin. The marlin is certainly easier to do an on the clock reload with. In b western you can not shoot a 73 and in classic cowboy you can't shoot a marlin. And if you wear a white hat a marlin will keep it cleaner. Also, they balance differently because the receiver on a marlin is shorter, so even with the same barrel length the marlin is shorter. I would encourage you to shoot both before you buy one so you know which suits you better.

Personal preference. I like both....either one is the choice of top shooters so ya cant go wrong. With that said...the Marlins being built by Remington are not good at all...maybe quality has improved recently though...don't know.

GG

I've had multiples and shot multiples of both....likes and dislikes

1873: really cowboy looking !!

kinda heavy but aides in follow ups esp if using real cowboy calibers 44-40 / 45LC

can really be slicked up

Weak action, no stout loads here :-(

1894; lighter and better balanced

side ejection....YES!!! I tire of gettin bonked in the head or cleaning the soot rings off my stetsons!!

can be slicked but not as slick as a 66 /73

STRONG : I had one cut to 16" for a trail / hog gun it'll drop anything that messes with me including bear!!

you want an all around rifle get the Marlin, you want to be period correct or race get a 66 /73.

PS AGREE with the above find an older MARLIN JM bbl stamp the new ones are SHODDY!! My ffl just got one in this week and it still is lacking!!

In the NCAA March Madness, 94 always wins over 73.... :0

Both rifles can be turned into a cadillac and in the right hands, both are capable of turning true race speeds.

Ya gotta find what might work best for you and/or feel the best for you.

I love the 73's. Beautiful rifles in all kinds of configurations. And I've always liked the Marlin 1894's with their Octagonal barrels.

BUT, the Marlin felt better in my hands and when I shouldered it. Soooo, it became my preferred rifle.

Milage surely varies on this.

Good luck (and I would try to stay away from the Remington Marlins, atleast for now)

..........Widder

Some other thoughts: You can get Marlins in stainless steel. This is desireable for use in wet weather. Another fact: The screws on some of them are forever coming loose. I tightened the loading gate on once twice at a match today.

IMHO while I have run some of the best there is of both breeds, without knowing you or the abilities you have to shoot em or maintain em, I'd have to say if you was my friend and I wanted you to have a long, happy, trouble-free experience, I'd suggest a top shelf medium short stroke, (Codymatic or 3rd gen kit) '73. Do it up slicker'n snot on a wet glass door knob using any of the top half dozen smiths, and be done with it.

That said, Marlins CAN BE awesome if really well smithed, but they will be harder to maintain at that level of performance over time IMHO unless you have local access to a top level marlin tinkerer.

When I started shooting the Marlin was less expensive than the '73. I have been watching prices lately to help some of our new shooters get geared up; the price of the used "JM" Marlins has been going up and up; the last couple of good ones I watched on Gunbroker sold for about the price of a Uberti '73.

Either one is faster than I!

I have both. A shortstroked 73 nd also a shortstroked 24 in marlin with the checkered stock. I prefer the 73. To me it's just a smother gun. The marlin is just as fast on close stuff for me but jumps off target on far targets.

Not my intent to badmouth the Marlin, (I have one) but just take a look at what most folks are using. You will find a lot more 73/66s on the average posse, than Marlins. There is a good reason for that.........The design of the 73 is as close to perfect as a rifle can be for this game. :) Don't take my word for it, or anyone else on the Wire.....just take a look around! Reality speaks volumes! :lol:

I started out with a Marlin from one of the notable cowboy smiths, after a few years I bought a 73 from another of the notable cowboy smiths. Both are faster than I'm ever likely to be, and both shoot great.

Marlin seem lighter to me, and shorter even though both have same barrel length.

I like them both, but the 73 is what goes to the range with me these days. When I started I tried both and the Marlin felt better, but now the 73 does, go figure. Mileage always varies.

Have both, shoot both. The 73 is a bit easier to lever (less effort required), the Marlin is shorter, lighter and easier to swing. I use the marlin for smokeless matches (44 mag) and the 73 for holy black (44-40).

That said, Marlins CAN BE awesome if really well smithed, but they will be harder to maintain at that level of performance over time IMHO unless you have local access to a top level marlin tinkerer.

Ditto

BUT, the Marlin felt better in my hands and when I shouldered it. Soooo, it became my preferred rifle.

..........Widder

Ditto

Have both, shoot both. The 73 is a bit easier to lever (less effort required), the Marlin is shorter, lighter and easier to swing. I use the marlin for smokeless matches (44 mag) (.357/.38) and the 73 for holy black (44-40) (.45).

Ditto

I've had plenty of both, but have thinned things down to one 1860, two 1866's, three 1873's, two 1892's, a Taurus jack handle, and six Marlins. I started with '92's, then toggle links, and have been on a B-Western/Marlin kick for the past few years. I'm to a point where I would cautiously say I prefer the Marlins. :)

I've had plenty of both, but have thinned things down to one 1860, two 1866's, three 1873's, two 1892's, a Taurus jack handle, and six Marlins. I started with '92's, then toggle links, and have been on a B-Western/Marlin kick for the past few years. I'm to a point where I would cautiously say I prefer the Marlins. :)

Started with 2 Marlin CBC's. Great rifles but I am a big guy, 6'!' and 260, the marlins felt "light" and I had a tendency to overswing through the target (missing on the far side of the target). Tried a '73 and the extra weight made my swing a bit more consistent. The market was right to sell the marlins so now I have 3 of the '73's. For me that is the better choice - could be - probably will be different for everyone else.

Regards

:FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

I used several well tuned Marlins my first 5 years or so. I loved them and never considered changing, as I am a Luddite about most everything.

Then my club and Cody Conagher, in secret, wanted to give me a rifle in appreciation for my work with local SASS clubs.

It was a 73 from Taylors. It has a pistol grip stock, 20" barrel, fully engraved, slicked up, short stroked, and case hardened by Doug Turnbull. It is beautiful.

I took it to the Florida State match and shot a stage with it, the first time I had used it at all. Between that stage and the next stage I called Cody and ordered another one for regular use. I don't have the heart to match up the gun they presented to me.

I have never looked back.

The Marlin is a solid dependable rifle (at least they use to be) but there is no question that the 1873 is the current Cadillac of cowboy rifles.

My 2 cents.

I believe that this was common dilemma in the 19-th century with they guys that we honor every weekend.

A lightly-used Marlin cowboy (JM marked) would be a good rifle. The RM marked guns are not.

You cannot go wrong with a Uberti 73. Stay away from the Chaparral or an overly tuned 1873. 1860 Henrys and 1866 Wins are also good guns.

Winchester is coming out with a 1873 made in Japan this spring. The other Wins made in Japan have been very good.

I have a Marlin cut to 16" and scoped for field work, but I prefer the Uberti 1873 or an original 1892 for CAS.

Both work. But.........I have seen Marlins lock up, jam, during a match. A 73.........never.

Cocked, Locked, Ready to Rock! :D

I've seen Marlins, 73s, Vaqueros, Colt's, 97s, and SXSs lock up.

Fillmore

I've seen Marlins, 73s, Vaqueros, Colt's, 97s, and SXSs lock up.

Fillmore

yup - it happens to all makes and models - the harder these babies get USED it's to be expected.

GG ~ :FlagAm:

In the world of CAS:

A well tuned Marlin = Corvette

A well tuned 66 or 73 = Lamborghini

Both can be fast. With the "right" driver behind the wheel, the Corvette will perform well. Yes, the world record for ten shots was set by Deuce Stevens using a Marlin, but who can seriously consider him just any-o' driver. He's not. I have the highest regard for Deuce both as a shooter and a person, but when the list of really fast shooters using a Marlin comes out...you don't hear a long list of names. There are some others out there. For example, Slick McClade, multiple time B-Western world champion, is impossible to ignore. Put a links gun in either of their hands and they'd still be just as fast.

With that said, I have little doubt that given CAS as a whole, all one need do to to determine which rifle is the fastest is to attend any large match and observe. Does that mean that a links gun is the best for everyone? Nope. I could write much more, but the question asked is answered by observation: For most shooters, the links gun will be slightly faster.

And on a completely different subject: If I was hunting, I'd use a Marlin...hands down.

Thanks all, one thing you can count on is CAS people will be straight up and true to what they believe. Still a hard choice between the two.

Spencer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vz-qSZDI9dI

At the 2:40 mark - 11 guys pushing it down the hill? That's gonna cut our time to the coast

Started with 2 Marlin CBC's. Great rifles but I am a big guy, 6'!' and 260, the marlins felt "light" and I had a tendency to overswing through the target (missing on the far side of the target). Tried a '73 and the extra weight made my swing a bit more consistent. The market was right to sell the marlins so now I have 3 of the '73's. For me that is the better choice - could be - probably will be different for everyone else.

Regards

:FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

6' 1"/260 is a good start, but... ya got quite a ways to go still...

With my li'l sis, her hubby, and one of our cousins in Glacier Park.

JBar.jpg

Size 13 shoes*, 4XLT shirts, have to duck for low lights and ceiling fans, no back seat in my daily commuter cuz that's where the front seat had to go... :P

* I tried on some size 16's recently, and, while they were a bit large, they weren't that bad of a fit... :blink::lol:

In experienced hands, either is going to be fast. Ultimately you get fast and consistent with what you practice. If you are starting out, you can get a used Marlin in the $600 range (I've bought several for this, and occasionally less), go to Marauder's page and do some basic work on it and get $400 in ammo and go practice, or you can go get a 73 for $1000 on up (two for sale at $1200 each at my last match) and dig deeper for ammo.

I have always used a Marlin. I've never needed to go to a 73 to get any more speed. I call mine the Darlin' Marlin. the guys I shoot with call it Gil T.'s Sewing Machine, because that's what it sounds like - fast and consistent.

Like I said before, you ultimately get fast and consistent with what you practice. I've practiced a lot.

A couple of other things - if you look for a used Marlin, check for the "JM" stamp on the barrel. That's a mark of the older, quality construction and is what you want. AND KEEP THE SCREWS TIGHT. Get some blue threadlocker.

Archived