SASS Wire Forum

Cowboy Terminology Question

Good Evenin Pards:

My wife is now reading the latest western by Robert Knott (Robert B. Parker story) and she came across a term she did not understand. Asked me about it and I could not give her an answer so I thought I would see what you all think.

Without giving anything away (I have read the book, but missed this part, I guess). Virgil Cole and Everett Hitch are on a train that has just been borded by train robbers. Virgil is in another coach and Everett is sitting in his seat while the crooks make their way up the aisle. Everett is trying to figure out how to help and the dialog goes like this: "My eight-guage leaned against the window frame but was certainly too cumbersome for swift movement. I could not reach for my Colt or dingus because the man etc, etc, etc". So, my question is: What is a dingus? Is it a term for a hide out gun?

Thanks for your help.

Frazee

Personally, in this particular case, I agree with Russ T.

This is akin to someone in a tenuous situation saying to himself, "I don't know whether to $#!+ or go blind!!" So, Everett had staged all his weapons in such unhandy positions, that even his "dingus" was not accesible. :lol:

"Dingus" does not always refer to the above and is a more or less generic reference to something that is not actually named, as in someone who has momentarily forgotten the word for an object and instead, says, "I've been looking around here all morning for my ... uh, ...dingus."

In Everett's case, however, I think we know what he means. ;)

I don't know. I agree that a "dingus" is a "whatchamacallit", and quite often is used to refer to "your manhood".

That just don't seem to fit in that sentence. Excuse the language, folks, but, "My eight-guage leaned against the window frame but was certainly too cumbersome for swift movement. I could not reach for my Colt or my pecker because the man etc, etc, etc"

It's the "because the man" part that throws me. If he had said, without there being a robbery going on, "things were so close I couldn't reach my Colt or my dingus", I'd buy it. But, during a robbery that he wanted to forstall, why would he be reaching for his wilie?

Just don't make no sense.

I believe he might be talking about derringer. Or could be Mister Happy Time. But I'd go with derringer.

: doodad 2

Examples of DINGUS

1. <it seems to be missing some little dingus that holds everything in place>

Origin of DINGUS
Dutch or German; Dutch dinges, probably from German Dings, from genitive of Ding thing, from Old High German — more at thing
First Known Use: 1876

Archived