SASS Wire Forum

Lead Shot, chilled or magnum? How much antimony?

Captain Bill Burt

I find myself in need of some #8 lead shot until my regular supplier has some. I've found some sources, but don't know much about the difference between shot with different levels of antimony other than it relates to hardness. Is #8 shot with 4% antimony ok for our purposes? I know there isn't as much cost savings reloading SG as .38, but I've been able to save about $4 per box and when you're reloading for three people who are going through 10+ boxes a month it's worth it (to me).

Thanks.

Not any difference I can tell. I just try to make sure it has a little graphite in it to make it flow thru the reloader a little easier.

I find myself in need of some #8 lead shot until my regular supplier has some. I've found some sources, but don't know much about the difference between shot with different levels of antimony other than it relates to hardness. Is #8 shot with 4% antimony ok for our purposes? I know there isn't as much cost savings reloading SG as .38, but I've been able to save about $4 per box and when you're reloading for three people who are going through 10+ boxes a month it's worth it (to me).

Thanks.

Now, is NOT the time to be picky. ;)

Get what you can, as soon as you can.

Me--I use reclaimed. -_-

LG

Our local gunshop was selling reclaimed for $31 a bag --------- WHEN they used to have some. I just paid the price you listed for 50#.

Anything over $30 per #25 bag for reclaimed is a rip-off, but in the present environment, the gougers are firmly at work.

Locally here in Texas we are paying $28.50 for reclaimed and usually about $37 for new shot. Things may get worse though.

RBK

Capt. BB, The Magnum shot will have a higher antimony count than the chilled shot which will/may make a difference to a clay target shooter, but not in our game. The chilled can be cheaper, depending on the brand. Reclaimed or home-made shot regardless of the antimony would be fine for SASS, IMHO. There is a member of NAR's who has a shotmaker and sells shot to the members. Buck would be able to put you in contact with him.

Thanks Waco! Good to hear from you. You coming to the GA state in May? I already ordered 50 lbs from this guy (gunbroker seller out of Florida). He has A+ feedback, so if the stuff get's here and looks good I'll pass the contact info along.

I saw this same listing on GB and thought it looked like a pretty good deal. More like "re-manufactured" shot, as opposed to reclaimed. I'm okay until later this year, but may have to pull the trigger and order 50# now before his supply runs out!

This is reclaimed, remelted and tumbled in graphite for $80.50 per 50lbs delivered. Good deal?

I can beat cha by a buck here.>>> http://www.badmanbullets.com/OnlineStore/reclaimed-lead-shot-for-sale-size-7.5.html

Archived