SASS Wire Forum

Should buff right out. Just a scratch.

Subdeacon Joe

I think I would have found a local lake for the emergency landing rather than belly-in like he did.

Low on fuel comes to mind. Pretty sure there was a reason they had to land....on land.

GG ~ :FlagAm:

Then that would be a run-roh of epic proportions!

But then, once the scratching noise and vibrations started, why not lay on the throttle and go to a lake? Watching the video, the pilot did a pretty good job of balancing the plane on the hull and bringing it to a stop without cartwheeling a wing tip. It's all kind of a mystery to me.

I think that's the case here - brain fart on the part of the guy in the left seat.

Really - and a camera was set up for that? - I reckon the pilot radioed in about the landing gear issue.

Unless it was a stunt for TV. :wacko:

Really - and a camera was set up for that? - I reckon the pilot radioed in about the landing gear issue.

Unless it was a stunt for TV. :wacko:

It's a hobby for some - filming take offs and landings.

It's a hobby for some - filming take offs and landings.

Still doesn't prove that was the case that the pilot 'forgot' the landing gear, You Tube video's sometimes have erronous captions.

Landing in water even if the plane stays intact, destroys almost everything electrical in the plane and the engines, not to mention the propellers.

Belly landing on ground would do a bit of sheet metal damage and as long as the plane stays upright, is usually repairable back to flying condition.

And this high wing plane would even save the engines and propellers.

--------------

WWII PBY flying boats without the optional landing gear on board, where told to land on the dirt strip next to the paved runways when they had damage making water landing impractical. These plane could be repairs and place back in action in a day or two. When water landed and sunk due to damage, they were used for mechanical parts. The time to replace the electrical was far too long to mess with. Salvage what they could and pushed them off to the side to get them out of the way.

In the video I saw, the plane's crew admitted that they forgot the landing gear. It wasn't a caption.

this is the FULL video posted by the OP - it seems they said no hydraulics was the issue....but it does seem to be pilot error - I stand corrected - maybe... :lol:

Here's a good case of dumbness:

http://now.msn.com/texting-pilot-forgets-to-lower-landing-gear-nearly-crashes

When flying retractable gear aircraft, the thought being, there are them have have landed gear up and them that will (so far I haven't fallen into either category :)

For whatever reason , the pilot did an excellent job bringing it down. This could have been a disaster if not kept stable and leaned sideways. Wingtip touch ground, twisting sideways, etc. He also kept the plane on the line, centered, giving him as much runway on the sides as possible. He also kept the front up, and used the rear to touchdown, able to make sideway ajustments, also keep from nosing plane, or slide to the side. He had his RPMs cut way back. Once on the ground, probable cut his fuel. Great job.

This plane is a water scooper, and there are very few pilots that can fly these. There are only 100 to 130 of these built.

Must have been a problem since video was made. MT

Landing in water even if the plane stays intact, destroys almost everything electrical in the plane and the engines, not to mention the propellers.

Belly landing on ground would do a bit of sheet metal damage and as long as the plane stays upright, is usually repairable back to flying condition.

And this high wing plane would even save the engines and propellers.

--------------

WWII PBY flying boats without the optional landing gear on board, where told to land on the dirt strip next to the paved runways when they had damage making water landing impractical. These plane could be repairs and place back in action in a day or two. When water landed and sunk due to damage, they were used for mechanical parts. The time to replace the electrical was far too long to mess with. Salvage what they could and pushed them off to the side to get them out of the way.

CL 215 is a water bomber otherwise known as a seaplane. Don't think landing on water would hurt this one. The confusion can come from water lndg vs hard surface. If you forget and lower the landing gear and then make a water landing, you will destroy the aircraft. Must remember ....wheels up for water and down for land, maybe just got confused.

Here's an example with a float plane landing gear down

Archived