SASS Wire Forum

5 for the price of 4

Silver Shadow

Question for reloaders, ballistic pards, casting nuts (yes, I think you might be nuts if you enjoy casting), etc.

Since most items, gun related, have become a little scarce, including lead, I was wondering if any of you may be able to share some experience with me regarding the following:

I currently load two different bullets for .45 caliber cowboy shooting.

I use the Lyman #452664 250g RNFP cast bullet for my rifle loads.

015-2660664_th.jpg

And the Lee #452-200-RF 200g RNFP cast bullets for my revolver loads.

006-90234.jpg

My question is, do any of you have any experience running the Lee 200g bullet through a 24" barrel?

The Lee has a significantly smaller lube groove than the Lyman, and that's why I've been reluctant to run it in my rifles. I am wondering if it may result in excessive leading.

I load with the minimum listed charge of Trail Boss (hodgdon site) for a posted speed of 705 fps and I cast them at approximately 11 bhn and lube them with Thompsons Blue Angel.

I like how the Lyman bullets shoot but was thinking that I can stretch my lead reserves by theoretically getting 5- 200g bullets from the same amount of lead as 4- 250g bullets.

Thanks

SS

I use a commercial 200 gr RNFP in a 24 inch barrel with a max load of TrailBoss. No problems. The bullet looks much like the Lee, but is from Magma moulds.

I load the same bullet with I think the same lube for my daughter with a mid range TB load and no problems. I do get bullets on the softer side, BHN 9-10 usually

Just some number to consider.

As a commercial ammunition manufacturer, who reloads only for cas shooters, I offer the following info.........

So far this year, 2013, I have loaded approximately Zero, 250 grain 45 caliber bullets.

2012 that number was a whopping Zero as well.

Looking back to 2011, it's amazing, that number was Zero again.

Oh No...2010, I loaded a total of 50 rounds with 250 gr bullets. Looks like they were for a log cutting event.

So, I think you should have no problem with 200 gr bullets in any of your guns.

Personally, I like the 200gr over all others for 45 Colt.

--------------------

I have also loaded the 180gr 45 caliber bullets and all I have done that for have gone back to the 200gr bullets.

There are those that forgo the lube entirely without excess leading .

For the 45Colt, I've recently dropped from a 185 grain bullet in my handguns to 160s... I've used a 200 or 225 grain in the rifle since 1987 (my 2nd year in CAS).

Thanks everybody for the input. It appears that I may be a little over cautious. Probably a side affect of my experiences with that "evil black" powder.

It was mentioned that some forego lube altogether. Although I'm not sure I'd go that far, I wonder if tumble lubing these might be sufficient.

Thanks again

SS

I was casting the Lee 200 RNFP bullet for a bunch of the cowboys around here. (Got me a machine now) They all love it. And...it works well for the 45acp too.

FWIW, With WW lead, they dropped @ 209 grains.

Everything I cast gets tumble lubed with a 50/50 Johnson's Paste Wax/Bee's Wax mix. Powder fouling and leading are almost non-existent compared to conventional lubing.

Archived