SASS Wire Forum

Colorado Update 3/20

Utah Bob #35998

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great update Bob hope you guys can flip one of those dems good luck.

Sorry, I shoulda been more specific....

SB 195, requiring concealed-carry applicants to take a training class, and SB 197, requiring people of domestic violence to give up their guns, have been passed.

Sorry, I shoulda been more specific....

SB 195, requiring concealed-carry applicants to take a training class, and SB 197, requiring people of domestic violence to give up their guns, have been passed.

Just a note -197 requires those ACCUSED of dom violence give up their guns. Accused, not convicted. We won't worry about due process any more apparently. I think this one may be challenged as unconstitutional.

Well, they're up to 3 for 5 so far, still working on the last two:

House Bill 1229 would add a background-check requirement for many guns sold in private transactions. The bill has been approved by the state House. It now goes to Governor John Hickenlooper. Hickenlooper is expected to sign the bill.

(we are so screwed, scuse my french!)

House Bill 1229 would add a background-check requirement for many guns sold in private transactions. The bill has been approved by the state House. It now goes to Governor John Hickenlooper. Hickenlooper is expected to sign the bill.

I wonder how big of a margin Governor Loopenhicker won last time? Was it a big margin? Any chance to vote him out next time or does the Denver to Boulder crowd call the shots in that State?

If this mag ban gets signed into law, will there be any enforcement since a majority of County Sheriffs in Colorado don't seem inclined.

Here's the bad news. All amendments proposed to the bills by the republicans were rejected.

Gun Control Bills pass

As Cronkite used to say .........."And so it goes" :angry:

We're stilll better off than some areas. They haven't made our guns illegal. Yet.

"LARGE-CAPACITY MAGAZINE" MEANS A FIXED OR DETACHABLE MAGAZINE, BOX, DRUM, FEED STRIP, OR SIMILAR DEVICE CAPABLE OF ACCEPTING, OR THAT CAN BE READILY CONVERTED TO ACCEPT, MORE THAN TEN ROUNDS OF AMMUNITION OR MORE THAN FIVE SHOTGUN SHELLS.

"LARGE-CAPACITY MAGAZINE" DOES NOT MEAN: A FEEDING DEVICE THAT HAS BEEN PERMANENTLY ALTERED SO THAT IT CANNOT ACCOMMODATE MORE THAN TEN ROUNDS OF AMMUNITION; A .22 CALIBER TUBE AMMUNITION FEEDING DEVICE; OR A TUBULAR MAGAZINE THAT IS CONTAINED IN A LEVER-ACTION FIREARM.

It was approved by the house last week. Per chance do you mean it was approved by the senate?

Here's the bad news. All amendments proposed to the bills by the republicans were rejected.

Gun Control Bills pass

We're stilll better off than some areas. They haven't made our guns illegal. Yet.

Please Bob, Don't give them any ideas!

It was approved by the house last week. Per chance do you mean it was approved by the senate?

that was straight off of channel 7's website, I have no idea what they meant, and I doubt channel 7 does either!

"LARGE-CAPACITY MAGAZINE" MEANS A FIXED OR DETACHABLE MAGAZINE, BOX, DRUM, FEED STRIP, OR SIMILAR DEVICE CAPABLE OF ACCEPTING, OR THAT CAN BE READILY CONVERTED TO ACCEPT, MORE THAN TEN ROUNDS OF AMMUNITION OR MORE THAN FIVE SHOTGUN SHELLS.

"LARGE-CAPACITY MAGAZINE" DOES NOT MEAN: A FEEDING DEVICE THAT HAS BEEN PERMANENTLY ALTERED SO THAT IT CANNOT ACCOMMODATE MORE THAN TEN ROUNDS OF AMMUNITION; A .22 CALIBER TUBE AMMUNITION FEEDING DEVICE; OR A TUBULAR MAGAZINE THAT IS CONTAINED IN A LEVER-ACTION FIREARM.

The rerevised edition uses the numbers 15 rounds and 8 shotgun shells.

It also refers to 28 inches of tubed rounds for a shotgun such as (Rem 870 etc.)

AND of course there is grandfathering. If you own the large cap mag at date of this section and have continuous possession.

you can read the different versions as they are published by looking at

http://www.leg.state.co.us/CLICS/CLICS2013A/csl.nsf/BillFoldersHouse?openFrameset

Selecting from the Box House Bills 1201 - 1250

Press Go

advance to HB13-1224

Click on All Versions under All bill versions

Sorry, I was looking for something with the wording that's in the bill, I didn't notice that was from the original.....not that it helps us that they upped it to 15....

Gun Control Bills pass

Actually Cronkite ended his newscast with: "And that's the way it is...." I remember my father referring to him as Walter Crankcase. He wasn't America's most trusted newsman in my household.

So, after Governor Hickenpooper signs these anti-2A bills into laws, do you really expect any enforcement by peace officers? What are the penalties for violating these so-called laws? I have friends in Colorado who plan to willfully disregard these fraudulent laws. You all realize that civil disobedience is still an option here in the United States. That option was good for Rosa Parks, why not for gun owning Patriots.

Actually Cronkite ended his newscast with: "And that's the way it is...." I remember my father referring to him as Walter Crankcase. He wasn't America's most trusted newsman in my household.

So, after Governor Hickenpooper signs these anti-2A bills into laws, do you really expect any enforcement by peace officers? What are the penalties for violating these so-called laws? I have friends in Colorado who plan to willfully disregard these fraudulent laws. You all realize that civil disobedience is still an option here in the United States. That option was good for Rosa Parks, why not for gun owning Patriots.

Amen to that.

That option was good for Rosa Parks, why not for gun owning Patriots.

Primarily, because the penalties for disobeying these laws (at least in Maryland) are being structured such that you be guilty of a misdemeanor with a term greater than 1 year, meaning that you will forfeit your right to own a gun forever.

Dogmeat Dad

Primarily, because the penalties for disobeying these laws (at least in Maryland) are being structured such that you be guilty of a misdemeanor with a term greater than 1 year, meaning that you will forfeit your right to own a gun forever.

Dogmeat Dad

Point taken, but it doesn't make those laws Constitutionally valid. At some point all the phone calls, letters and attempts to make change via the ballot box will result in nothing. Then, you have to decide what the next step is. My family has a history of fighting in this nation, beginning with the French & Indian War. Actions many times speak louder than words or the written word.

I doubt the sheriffs will do much enforcement but the big city PDs and the Colorado Bureau od Investigation are another matter.

As far as penalties they can set those by administrative order and we aren't sure what they are yet..

Let me know when the libs in NM get some laws through and you decide violate them. If it can happen here it can happen anywhere.

My family has a long history of fighting too so don't bother to lecture me about standing up.

The situation around the country will get worse before it gets better, if it ever does.

I'm pretty damn cranky this evening so pardon me if I sound terse. And sorry about the Cronkite misquote.

I'm going to go have a martini.

Out.

As I read it HB13-1224 is going to be hard to prosecute because of the following;

A PERSON MAY POSSESS A LARGE-CAPACITY MAGAZINE IF
HE OR SHE:
(I) OWNS THE LARGE-CAPACITY MAGAZINE ON THE EFFECTIVE
DATE OF THIS SECTION; AND
II) MAINTAINS CONTINUOUS POSSESSION OF THE LARGE-CAPACITY
MAGAZINE.
(B) IF A PERSON WHO IS ALLEGED TO HAVE VIOLATED SUBSECTION
(1) OF THIS SECTION ASSERTS THAT HE OR SHE IS PERMITTED TO LEGALLY

POSSESS A LARGE-CAPACITY MAGAZINE PURSUANT TO PARAGRAPH (a) OF
THIS SUBSECTION (2), THE PROSECUTION HAS THE BURDEN OF PROOF TO
REFUTE THE ASSERTION.

I cannot imagine that many magazine owners have dates for the purchase of a magazine if separate from a firearm.

Let alone those that came with firearms and probably weren't listed.

Point taken, but it doesn't make those laws Constitutionally valid. At some point all the phone calls, letters and attempts to make change via the ballot box will result in nothing. Then, you have to decide what the next step is. My family has a history of fighting in this nation, beginning with the French & Indian War. Actions many times speak louder than words or the written word.

Utah Bob. I am pissed off with ya.

What I really find shocking is the conduct of the American people. Pick a topic, any topic: jobs, energy, insurance, healthcare, 1A, 2A, 10A, etc, etc.

We have what, gas prices double, triple 4 years ago? And it affects the price of everything yet we sit on the largest reserves of oil and natural gas. Median household income and wealth down. Mortgages upside down. Record foreclosure rates. Record bank failures. Bail outs that did nothing. Subsidies that do nothing. Billions upon billions owed to the Chi-Comms. Million or so unemployed, under-employed or uncounted compared to 4 years ago. Billions going to despots worldwide. Inflation about to really kick in I am afraid. Government manipulation driving up healthcare and insurance premiums and on and on and on. Bugs getting the full protection of the US government but not the unborn.

Meanwhile 40 million plus hunters and fishermen act indifferent and apathetic. The unemployed, indifferent and apathetic. Throngs of humble cowboy shooters are eagerly preparing for the next monthly, state or regional match just waiting to see what happens. And here in Ga, a state of nearly 10 million, 200 or so folks show up for the Day of Resistance. Hell, I thought the number of veterans to show would far exceed that.

Voters stand idly by fully knowing they are getting screwed over, but not only that they're kids and grandkids. You would think, with every sector I mentioned under assault, Washington would have burned to the ground long ago. Riots should have happened by now. Everyone is under assault and it seems not a damned soul is ready to pick a fight.

I hate to say this, but the American people, including myself, is beginning to look more disgraceful that the a**holes we sent to Washington to screw it all up in the first place.

Oh wait, I'm sorry, we did fire off a few million emails and phone calls, didn't we? That should do. No need to show up in mass to scare them s***less. What the hell is wrong with people? Waiting for some boy-wonder of a politician to emerge or some miracle of an election to fix things? I keep hearing 2016, 2016? Same line of crap we heard in 2012. Listen the Repubs are frittering away their power in the House recognizing Obama as the law of the land. All of this planning for tomorrow is useless if you piss today away.

As I read it HB13-1224 is going to be hard to prosecute because of the following;

A PERSON MAY POSSESS A LARGE-CAPACITY MAGAZINE IF

HE OR SHE:

(I) OWNS THE LARGE-CAPACITY MAGAZINE ON THE EFFECTIVE

DATE OF THIS SECTION; AND

II) MAINTAINS CONTINUOUS POSSESSION OF THE LARGE-CAPACITY

MAGAZINE.

( B) IF A PERSON WHO IS ALLEGED TO HAVE VIOLATED SUBSECTION

(1) OF THIS SECTION ASSERTS THAT HE OR SHE IS PERMITTED TO LEGALLY

POSSESS A LARGE-CAPACITY MAGAZINE PURSUANT TO PARAGRAPH (a) OF

THIS SUBSECTION (2), THE PROSECUTION HAS THE BURDEN OF PROOF TO

REFUTE THE ASSERTION.

I cannot imagine that many magazine owners have dates for the purchase of a magazine if separate from a firearm.

Let alone those that came with firearms and probably weren't listed.

Take a picture of the mags with todays newspaper, showing the date.

That has save me butt twice, over the years.

LG

I doubt the sheriffs will do much enforcement but the big city PDs and the Colorado Bureau od Investigation are another matter.

As far as penalties they can set those by administrative order and we aren't sure what they are yet..

Let me know when the libs in NM get some laws through and you decide violate them. If it can happen here it can happen anywhere.

My family has a long history of fighting too so don't bother to lecture me about standing up.

The situation around the country will get worse before it gets better, if it ever does.

I'm pretty damn cranky this evening so pardon me if I sound terse. And sorry about the Cronkite misquote.

I'm going to go have a martini.

Out.

Utah Bob, you have every reason to be cranky. I also don't doubt your family history of proud service. My mother's family has been here since 1692 and fought in every conflict. Mom's parternal Great Great Grandfather was a barefoot Kentucky 17 year old with a Long Rifle at the Battle of New Orleans.

For me, our friends to the north in Colorado are bretheran in arms. I literally feel sick about what has happened in your State. This is so wrong, and for me it's just as bad as happening here. New Mexico is not immune, but we have a Governor who is feisty as Hell, and wouldn't sign any similar law. Outside of Santa Fe, Taos and Albuquerque, this State has an independent streak. In some ways, a mentality like folks in Appalachian America. 30 of our 33 Sheriffs would refuse to enforce any anti-2A laws. Closer to where you are is San Juan County, NM. They have the largest collection of gun owners in the entire State. That County would resist any draconian laws, with force if need be.

I'm in a more rural, less sophisticated part of the State, with many old and large Hispanic ranches. None of my neighbors are interested in complying with any laws limiting magazine capacity, Assault Weapons Bans, etc. We wouldn't seek any violent confrontation, but we wouldn't be disarmed or limited in what we could own. Our rights come from God, not from any government, be it State or Federal.

I inherited a stiff backbone from my Mother, and it served me well in engagements beginning in Grenada, to places like Western Iraq and Somalia. I don't doubt for a minute you're done fighting this sort of thing. You just never know what type of fight your path will lead you to.

Hang in there...and use both hands ;)

T.H. O'Sullivan

Black Mesa Ranch (a permanent 2nd Amendment establishment)

New Mexico

:FlagAm:

Reading Bloomberg tonight, I found some interesting quotes regarding potential civil disobedience in Colorado:

http://mobile.bloomberg.com/news/2013-03-11/colorado-senate-passes-gun-control-bills-after-shootings.html?cmpid=yhoo

Here's some nice excerpts:

“It’s absurd,” said Senator Greg Brophy, a Republican from Wray, referring to the background checks bill, “because it doesn’t do anything to improve safety unless you’re willing to take the step of registering all firearms.”

Several Republicans, including Brophy, said they would openly defy a limit on ammunition magazines if it became law.

“I can say this with no hesitation -- I will not abide by this law if passed,” said Senator Vicki Marble, a Republican from Fort Collins. “Neither will my family, my friends, and judging from my e-mails, I doubt most of the people in my district.”

This is where the peaceful civil disobedience begins. These two State of Colorado Senators have grit that I respect. I would love

to join them waiving 30 round AR magazines in some protest at the State Capitol.

Archived