SASS Wire Forum

Controlling the Language

Subdeacon Joe

How many of you saw this:

http://www.sfgate.com/crime/article/Stolen-SF-police-semiautomatic-rifle-found-4326325.php

I first heard it on the radio news and was struck by the language used.

Francisco police officers have recovered a semiautomatic rifle that
was stolen from the trunk of an unmarked police car Saturday night,
authorities said.

Police did not immediately release details as to where or how the AR-15 rifle was found.

"As
a theft of this rifle was a concern to public safety, Chief Suhr wanted
the recovery of this weapon to be announced immediately," said Sgt. Michael Andraychak, a police spokesman.

Someone had broken into the locked car that was parked in the South of Market
neighborhood while officers conducted an investigation nearby and made
off with the AR-15 rifle, Andraychak said.

The high-powered rifle is similar to a military M-16 and is issued to specially trained officers, Andraychak said.

Note that, because the police had it, it's a "semiautomatic rifle." If anyone besides LEOs have one it instantly turns into a scary "assault weapon with a high capacity assault magazine." And likely uses "high power, high velocity, cop killing, armor piercing assault bullets" (no kidding, I heard that phrase used about the .223), which, paradoxically, are useless as a hunting round because they don't have the power to kill even a mouse (but at the same time will ruin all the meat on a bull elk).

I've called the radio station I heard it on, and written to the paper about being consistent with how they use terms. If it's an "assault weapon" if I have it, then it's still an "assault weapon" in the hands of a cop.

Archived