SASS Wire Forum

Georgia Young Shooters

Dirt Merchant  # 61422

If you are a SASS shooter living in Georgia and you have a "young shooter" [under 16] we have funds to help you and your shooter advance in our sport. The Penny Denny Shooters Fund was created to help families offset costs and make it more affordable to shoot SASS. Through numerous generous donations we have created an account that, as of now is difficult to deplete !!. Let me know if you are interested, zero cost to you, only a commitment to our sport

we can and will help. Dirt, Fast Eddie, Capt.Bill Burt

I'll just ad a little note to this.

This a an incredible group of folks that are making this available to young shooters. And ifn I was a younger feller, I would surely allow these fellers the opportunity to help me out.

..........Widder

We raise money through donations, raffles, etc. We are just wrapping up a raffle for a cowboy ready SKB 200E donated and slicked up by Dirt Merchant and Fast Eddie. Some clubs, like South River Shootists, donate the proceeds from their monthly side matches. We then use the money that has been raised to help reduce the cost of participating in SASS for shooters who are 16 and under. There's no overhead, so all funds raised go directly to supporting young shooters by helping with equipment costs, monthly match fees, fees for major matches, that kind of stuff.

Most local clubs waive their monthly match fees for buckeroos/juniors. Some clubs, like South River Shootists, Cherokee Cowboys and River Bend Rough Riders and Doc Holliday's also waive match fees for the adult who brings a young shooter.

We also try to come up with ideas to introduce new shooters to SASS. For example this May we're going to have an introductory get together for 4-H members (thanks for the idea Pants a Fire Meyer) who are already competing in trap and skeet. We'll tell them about SASS and how it works and give them and their parents an opportunity to shoot a stage or two, for free.

The very best vendor supporter that the Georgia Young Shooters has is Mike Kirkpatrick of Kirkpatrick Leather. Mike has donated fabulous hand carved rigs to be raffled at ZERO cost to us. He has, can and will support young shooters whenever possible. We in turn let everyone we know how important SASS is to Mike, and Mike is to SASS and hopefully he benefits in return.

Local shooters have donated massive amounts of ammo, leather and time to our cause. It really doesn't take much, just a few folks who really care about the future of our sport.

THE FUTURE IS THE YOUNG SHOOTERS, believe it. If they tell a friend and that friend comes to watch ........

This entire concept was started by Major Mishap and his friends in Florida, contact him or us and we will help all we can. Dirt

each young shooter gets one of these

http://i328.photobucket.com/albums/l342/dirt_merchant/YoungGunsb.jpg

Here at our range(San Juan Wildlife Federation)we have Sportsfest where there is different types of shooting.There is usually about 100 kids & their parents.We set up a stage & let them shoot our cowboy guns,usually 22's & 38:s..They come through in groups of about 10-15.If there is time at the end we let some of the parents shoot...Largo

Thanks for your financial and support help to the GA young shooters. I have seen great results in both the skill and attitude of your young shooters.

It is expensive and in this economy any support helps.

Pleasant (next door in TN)

• 2 weeks later...

If you are having trouble depleting funds I do have a young gun and a buckaroo shooter active in SASS and we are GA residents. We are hoping (planning) to attend the GA state this year.

Myself and wife are just getting started in the sport. My father was old timmer and my Daughter is moving up from young guns this fall has been shooting a couple of years now. My brother and I are looking to get our youngest started as buckaroos his daughter is 7 or 8 and my son 11. What assistance is offered and what requirements do need to meet. The local range has always waived fees for the kids.

Little Maverick will be back and shooting for the 2013 Georgia State Match. With the dwindling supply of 22s, that's my only real concern right now. I'm moving him up to 38s in the pistols, cause I have enough bullets and powder to keep that going, but I need a reliable supply of 22s for his rifle. Find me some 22s for the Buckaroos. ;-) (Done Gone)

If you are having trouble depleting funds I do have a young gun and a buckaroo shooter active in SASS and we are GA residents. We are hoping (planning) to attend the GA state this year.

Hi pfouts,

Support is generally in the form of a check to cover match or ammunition costs. We only ask that you fill out a very short questionaire about how often you shoot. If you'll email me at tom_burt@yahoo.com I'll send you a copy of the questionaire.

Thanks!

Myself and wife are just getting started in the sport. My father was old timmer and my Daughter is moving up from young guns this fall has been shooting a couple of years now. My brother and I are looking to get our youngest started as buckaroos his daughter is 7 or 8 and my son 11. What assistance is offered and what requirements do need to meet. The local range has always waived fees for the kids.

Hi Wild Bill Jake,

As I mentioned in my previous post support is financial in nature. Please email me at tom_burt@yahoo.com and I'll send you a questionaire. Just fill it out and send it back to me. That's all it takes.

Dirt Merchant-

My daughter Snazzy wants one of them badges for her 18th birthday. She just loves all her new Georgia friends.

Where do I sent the check?

AA

Hi Amy! The badges are free to Young Guns and the Young Guns Patron badges are $32 (all of that goes to cover the cost of the free badges). I've PMed you Dirt's email so you can ask him to get one in the mail. Thanks!

Little Maverick will be back and shooting for the 2013 Georgia State Match. With the dwindling supply of 22s, that's my only real concern right now. I'm moving him up to 38s in the pistols, cause I have enough bullets and powder to keep that going, but I need a reliable supply of 22s for his rifle. Find me some 22s for the Buckaroos. ;-) (Done Gone)

Howdy Pard,

I'm encountering the same problem with getting ammo for my Buckeroo. Here's what I've done. Graf's has a pretty good supply of Milsurp .22short, not so good for the rifle, but works fine in the pistol. It's going for $3.99 per 50 plus a flat rate of $6.95 shipping, any quantity. Not a great price, but they've got it. I recently bought 1,000 of that and it works fine. http://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/product/productId/24146

For .22LR I've been scouting Gunbroker. Make sure your search terms aren't too restrictive. I've been able to find .22lr for a little less than .10 a round, but I've had to sift through a lot of ads and be willing to let some go when they get bid up.

Here's a few, I'm not saying they're great by a long shot, but they're on the low end of what's out there:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=332280738

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=333047288

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=333047316

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=332802523

Also check slickguns.com once you get there, click on Ammo and then on .22lr. Good deals get posted there, but don't last long. Walmart is still getting them, they go fast, usually by 8:00am. If I find some I'll buy all I can 7 or 8 bricks and share with you, if you find some do the same for me.

Great deal guys. Thats what this sport is all about. Keep up the good work and keep those youngins shooting.

Like others, Ive run into trouble locating 22 rounds for my daughter as well. But I always seem to pick up a box just in time for a match. This week I will be hitting the stores in my routine again

Thanks for getting back to me Bill, I've found one brick in the last 2 weeks of searching, and I lucked into it in a Wal Mart I don't normally shop at, but wandered off to just to check out the ammo shelf. I'll keep looking.

Set aside a pin for Little Maverick, we'll pick it up next month, or at the SM.

Thanks, -DG

Howdy Pard,

I'm encountering the same problem with getting ammo for my Buckeroo. Here's what I've done. Graf's has a pretty good supply of Milsurp .22short, not so good for the rifle, but works fine in the pistol. It's going for $3.99 per 50 plus a flat rate of $6.95 shipping, any quantity. Not a great price, but they've got it. I recently bought 1,000 of that and it works fine. http://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/product/productId/24146

For .22LR I've been scouting Gunbroker. Make sure your search terms aren't too restrictive. I've been able to find .22lr for a little less than .10 a round, but I've had to sift through a lot of ads and be willing to let some go when they get bid up.

Here's a few, I'm not saying they're great by a long shot, but they're on the low end of what's out there:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=332280738

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=333047288

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=333047316

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=332802523

Also check slickguns.com once you get there, click on Ammo and then on .22lr. Good deals get posted there, but don't last long. Walmart is still getting them, they go fast, usually by 8:00am. If I find some I'll buy all I can 7 or 8 bricks and share with you, if you find some do the same for me.

This is awesome. I wish there was something like this in Oklahoma. Getting Little Rebel SASS#93300 started, hit my pocket book hard. It's also hard keeping ammunition in stock for him. He loves to shoot. I'm running into the same situation as other parents finding 22LR for him. Like I said, what this GA club is doing is awesome. Thanks for posting this Dirt!

Dirt Merchant-

My daughter Snazzy wants one of them badges for her 18th birthday. She just loves all her new Georgia friends.

Where do I sent the check?

AA

feel free to PM me and I will get your information and mine to you. Capt. Bill has the questionnaire and will send it just for asking. There are no fees of any kind for ther young shooters. Anyone can buy a patrons badge for $32,identical to the Young Guns Badge with PATRON across the bottom, just PM me

• 3 weeks later...

Dirt,

Man what a great program, and resource ya'll have going. I've been out of the mix with the nature of my profession for a while. Plan on startting my son who is now 7, and getting back in to the world of cowboy competition myself.

He wants to shoot big guns with daddy...

Hope to see you on the trail again soon my friend with my little pard in tow...

I hope all is well.

Ransom

Archived