SASS Wire Forum

Should guests be allowed to start a thread.....

Over on the "team" forum I saw two guest threads that were obviously scams....perhaps it is time to mandate that only members be allowed to start a thread.

CPBC

I think it would be a good starting point to keep it in the family so to speak.

The moderators are doing a good job removing these spammers.

As Lumpy said these are most likely spambots and not real people.

I run a forum where anyone can read the posts but requires anyone who wants to post to sign up. Moderator approval is also required to activate the signup. I use a web site that will check sign up e-mail addresses and user names against world wide spammer lists. If they show up there they are deleted before being approval to participate.

This requires moderators and administrators to take time and check the new sign ups.

The forum I run has 6 people who check the new sign ups for approval daily. It works well because we don't have a lot of members and the moderators are around the world and catch the spammers in their time zones.

The SASS wire has a large number of members and new signups. It may not be practical to try and approve all new sign ups.

So refer back to the first line of this post.

Absolutely, guests should be able to start threads. Pat of the purpose of this forum is to expose new / potential shooters to the sport. We should be as welcoming as we can.

If folks abuse that, it pretty darned easy to spot and you take their posts for what they are worth.

We can permit guests to post, but limit their ability to post, to this forum. They do not need access to all of the forums to ask questions about the sport. Troll once, your gone.

Roo

We can permit guests to post, but limit their ability to post, to this forum. They do not need access to all of the forums to ask questions about the sport. Troll once, your gone.

Roo

I agree troll once your gone, but why not let a guest have access to the other forums (aside from TG Wire & classifieds)?

Heck, I've seen and read better Thread topics from 'Guest' than some of the stuff I've created. HEHEHE!

I agree with how Nate stated it.

..........Widder

True

GG ~ :FlagAm:

The moderators are doing a good job removing these spammers.

As Lumpy said these are most likely spambots and not real people.

I run a forum where anyone can read the posts but requires anyone who wants to post to sign up. Moderator approval is also required to activate the signup. I use a web site that will check sign up e-mail addresses and user names against world wide spammer lists. If they show up there they are deleted before being approval to participate.

This requires moderators and administrators to take time and check the new sign ups.

The forum I run has 6 people who check the new sign ups for approval daily. It works well because we don't have a lot of members and the moderators are around the world and catch the spammers in their time zones.

The SASS wire has a large number of members and new signups. It may not be practical to try and approve all new sign ups.

So refer back to the first line of this post.

Actually I check the new sign-ups everyday, takes some time. That catches most of the spam posters but the problem comes from the spam that is posted from folks that do not sign up for the Wire. I then ban thier ISP manually.

We try.

BH

Over on the "team" forum I saw two guest threads that were obviously scams....perhaps it is time to mandate that only members be allowed to start a thread.

CPBC

Hmmm, for being offended by two, and only two, guest posts on one, and only one, forum you want to ban ALL guests for being able to post on any and all of the forums.

Sounds like a way to prevent new members from joining and a great way tocreate a "good ole boys" club.

I must say that after I hit the "report" "button" that the posts were removed post haste! The moderators do do a very good job, I was just concerned about the links that I saw available...

BTW, long ago, I joined the wire before I started posting,,,,just seemed right... but then I taint always been "right",,,,"but I taint crazy, my momma had me tested".

CPBC

The bulk of the spamming has been on the Team SASS forum and began shortly after it was created as an anti gun control and 2nd amendment support board. I suspect that some gun grabber or group is behind it. The Wire and other boards have been relativley spam free for years. Then when we show that SASS is uniting to oppose gun control, we're hit with spam attacks almost immediately. Coincidence?

The bulk of the spamming has been on the Team SASS forum and began shortly after it was created as an anti gun control and 2nd amendment support board. I suspect that some gun grabber or group is behind it. The Wire and other boards have been relativley spam free for years. Then when we show that SASS is uniting to oppose gun control, we're hit with spam attacks almost immediately. Coincidence?

I think not.

Actually I check the new sign-ups everyday, takes some time. That catches most of the spam posters but the problem comes from the spam that is posted from folks that do not sign up for the Wire. I then ban thier ISP manually.

We try.

BH

Sir, you do more than just "try." You and your minions do one heck of a good job of keeping these fora clean and reasonable. A true work of love.

There are a lot of 'hide my ip' programs on the market that give false locations worldwide.

True. I'm actually in Liechtenstein.

Bout half a block from the gas station.

Spm is very popular here. Fried and otherwise.

Guest Tennessee Stud, SASS# 43634 Life

True. I'm actually in Liechtenstein.

Bout half a block from the gas station.

Spm is very popular here. Fried and otherwise.

I'm glad yore not from LickinFeinstein.

ts

I'm glad yore not from LickinFeinstein.

ts

Stud,

me thinks that is a city or community out in California. And, I think its a fan club in D.C. also.

..........Widder

Stud,

me thinks that is a city or community out in California. And, I think its a fan club in D.C. also.

..........Widder

I think I might just get sick :wacko:

GG ~ :FlagAm:

This would only hurt the honest people. The spammers are usually done after one or two posts. The interested person is usually just getting started asking questions at that point.

Maybe let guests have a limited amount of posts.

I agree that the moderators do an outstanding job, more so than many of us realize.

Using the "Report" feature would add all of us, to give them a helping hand.

Roo

I keep my hide button close at hand at all times..cell phone close to my bed and it's with me no matter where I go as well as the button on my home laptop. I must admit to you all that even when I get up in the middle of the night, the first thing I do is check the Team SASS page and kill anything that needs killin' before going back to sleep. :angry:

Black Harris then goes in and does his ISP magic on those posts I've hidden. I know he's also hidden many posts himself on the Team SASS Wire so between us, we're waging an all out double team war on these "free grazin' squatters!" :)

Soldier on...

Forums are like yards. Build a high wall with razor wire around it, and you won't be bothered by any but the most skilled and determined crook. You also won't have neighbors stopping by for a chat, either.

It's a tough balance between having a nice yard and securing your home, and the moderators are the only ones that know the true cost of maintaining an open forum. I appreciate the work they do here keeping this a place that makes guests like me feel welcome to join the community.

CPBC

+1

;) Rye

Archived