SASS Wire Forum

.45 Colt vs. .45 ACP

Not a whole lot of difference in the two load with the same powder. I was looking at the Winchester 231 (AKA HP38) with a 200 grain bullet. Only about 20 f/s difference. That could have something to do with the test firearms.

Now I am wondering about the advantages of loading target ammunition with lead or FMJ, looking for barrel life and leading conditions. I would think that lead at the speed of ACP rounds would not be an issue.

Well, I have a stash of .452 in lead. But it is 200 grain that I use in my SAA. I am thinking of using it in the ACP but I don't want to lead up the barrel. If it doesn't deposit visible lead in the SAA I am reasoning that it would not in the ACP.

With medium hard or medium soft which ever way you want to say it, at velocities in the 750 to 950 fps range leading is not a problem. With twenty five years of experience sending lead down range with a 45 acp leading was never a problem with reasonalbily good barrels, speed and very soft bullets can change that.

I do not load to the max on any of my loads. As soon as I pick up my die from Willie, I think I will load a magazine of 200 grainers to test out. My next question is that I have been shooting copper clad so far, do do I need to clean the barrel before shooting lead?

I mean REALLY clean the bore?

Well, I have a stash of .452 in lead. But it is 200 grain that I use in my SAA. I am thinking of using it in the ACP but I don't want to lead up the barrel. If it doesn't deposit visible lead in the SAA I am reasoning that it would not in the ACP.

You'll be fine.

Been shoot'n lead out of mine for 40+ years.........

LG

The rifling in an ACP barrel is shallower than in a Colt .45 barrel, in recognition that the pressures would rise higher if not, when using jacketed bullets. That's why bullets that are too soft fired at too high a velocity give you leading, and sometimes lousy accuracy.

ACP barrels clean up real easy - but the harder the lead the better of course.

When I shot IPSC I used a bullseye powder load that gave me 900 f/s with a 200 gr Lead SWC. Shot 1 inch off the bags at 20 yds. It would produce some leading after a 500 round day, but cleaned up in minutes afterwards.

Missouri bullet co. sells a lot of their lead bullets in two hardness ranges, depending onwhether you're loading for cowboy or other.

Good luck,

Shadow Catcher

With medium hard or medium soft which ever way you want to say it, at velocities in the 750 to 950 fps range leading is not a problem. With twenty five years of experience sending lead down range with a 45 acp leading was never a problem with reasonalbily good barrels, speed and very soft bullets can change that.

My experience was that very hard lead was more of a problem than very soft lead. Wheel weights worked well.

I've shot nothing but lead bullets in my 1911 sense I bought it. Not a problem. I'm shooting 230 gr. LRN and TC from Lee molds, using True Blue powder, at a velocity about 750 fps as measured through my chrono. I get good accuracy and have never had a glitch in function. Lock and Load!

My .45 lead bullets are 200 grain .452 and reported to be about 8-9 Brinnel. They have a crimp groove since I use them for

my SAA. Wonder how they will work in the 1911?

Like grain through a goose.

OK.

Sent you a PM Shadow.

Maybe you can give me some first hand coaching.

If only, but being in the UK for the next two years sorta interferes...

P.M. To follow.....

Some thoughts BMC, from recent experience trying to solve accuracy issues with my 1911 and lead bullets

I found 200 gr. cowboy bullets with Brinell 12 to be a bit soft and shot low when loaded below 800 fps. Leading wasn't awful if cleaned more often than not. You may get more with softer bullets. As Shadow Catcher said, harder works better with the shallow rifling.

I bumped up the load to 840 fps with Bullesye and a Brinell of 18 on a 200 gr. RNFP. Much less leading and shoots to POA now.

HP38 is a fine powder for .45 acp, I just happen to prefer Bullseye because I had more of that to work up with my loads.

If you don't have a case guage, use your 1911 barrel to determine the (taper) crimp. Not enough, and the catridge won't go all the way in and may keep the slide from closing completely . Too much and it goes too far and may get stuck. It should drop in and out easily.

Your reloads may not work in someone else's 1911 and vice versa. As long as they work in your gun, don't worry about it.

If you run into feeding issues, it's most often ammo, magazines or both. Easy to remedy.

I love my 1911. Have fun!

W-231 is my favorite factory-power load with non-magnum bullets. The real benefit with the .45 Colt load in smokeless comes with heavier bullets than 230 grain. I have tried some 270 and 300 LSW in my Vaqueros at 900 that really had some thump to them.

For a real treat, try the .45 Cowboy Special loads (.45 Colt at ACP length). I shoot them with RedDot or FFg 180-200 grain lead bullets in converted 1851 .44s.

Archived