SASS Wire Forum

favorite cowboy load (38 spl)

wes

Wes, SASS Wire rules prohibit posting specific load data on the forum, but it can be passed along via private message or email.

I load my own, 130 gr RNFP using Win 231 powder a little over the mid point in the published load data.

...I shoot FCD, so my .38 Special cartridges are plumb full of Black Powder with a bit of compression and 158 grain RNFP....

Posted · Hidden by Black Harris #154, March 2, 2013 - No reason given
Hidden by Black Harris #154, March 2, 2013 - No reason given

Load your own----Full load black powder under a 150 grain bullet

smoke and fire all the way; and a great big smile when done !!!!!!!

You will find that loads vary with the type of shooting style and or the gun used.

When you attend the local matches you will find out more.

Casefull of BP topped with a cast 147 grain RFN BB 9mm bullet OR Hodgdon's Clays and a 125 grain cast LRNFP with a charge weight exactly in the middle of the recommended range on Hodgdon's online Reloading Data Center.

The major powder brands offering cowboy loads in their free loading pamphets (check your local gun store) and their online loading sites. See http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloaders/default.aspx and http://data.hodgdon.com/main_menu.asp. A 125 gr truncated cone bullet is quite popular as is Hodgdon's Clays powder. Commercial loads tend to be too heavily loaded. Beware that loading well below published minimums can cause problems especially in cold weather.

Wife shoot my 100gr bullet in the pistols and the 110 or 125gr bullets in her rifle.

I shoot the 100gr or 110gr. Sometimes the 125 in my pistol

and the 110-125-147 in my rifle. And just loaded up some of the new 157gr torpedo bullets

to try at the next match.

i kind of shoot whatever i have the most in stock when it comes time to load up some.

Shoot 38's with Clays powder, and Federal Mag primers.

It is RUMORED that some cowboys shoot the lightest bullet they can find and a magnum primer...... No Powder.....

This is rumor of course...... Something to do with mice.....

Howdy Wes, for smokeless I use a mid range load of Red Dot with 125gr TC, runs about 785fps. For BP it's a 158gr Big Lube with a 1/8" compression. Check over at CAS City in "The Powde Room", they do allow load data, and there is a thread on 38sp loads. Good Luck :)

http://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php/topic,42238.0.html

Jefro :ph34r: Relax-Enjoy

Some do use magnum primers, no powder, drill out the primer pocket a little and 90gr bullets. I use all .38 caliber, 125gr TCFP Moulton bullets, behind Clays powder, and pushed by Federal primers. Work like a champ with pistols and rifle. Use Clays also for S/G loads. Hotter loads use 147gr bullet for some knockdowns and /or whatever.

See you on the range:

Jackrabbit#414

Some do use magnum primers, no powder, drill out the primer pocket a little and 90gr bullets. I use all .38 caliber, 125gr TCFP Moulton bullets, behind Clays powder, and pushed by Federal primers. Work like a champ with pistols and rifle. Use Clays also for S/G loads. Hotter loads use 147gr bullet for some knockdowns and /or whatever.

I usually put my powder behind the bullets :D

I use either a 125 or 130 grain RNFP (whichever I can get) with Bullseye powder and either a Federal or Winchester magnum primer.

In our thuty ates, a good pard puts a 125gr TCFP Colorado Casting bullet on top of <mumble> grs of HP38. It a bit above the midpoint load. Works well in the levers and Vaqueros.

In our thuty ates, a good pard puts a 125gr TCFP Colorado Casting bullet on top of <mumble> grs of HP38. It a bit above the midpoint load. Works well in the levers and Vaqueros.

3 :ph34r:

Take a look at Hodgdon's load data for Clays pushing a 125 grain bullet. My load is dead in the middle and works equally well pushing a 105 bullet. Good power factor and still cushy.

I'm hanging on Buck's coattails on this one. My bullet source http://www.clarksbullets.com/ offers a 105 and 125 grain bullet in .38; the shape is a truncated cone flat point that feeds well in the rifle.

I prefer Federal primers in guns with lightened springs. I've used Winchester primers with good results. I've had CCI primers fail to fire in rifles with light springs so I stay away from them.

Thanks for the replies.

FWIW I hit the range today with 250 rounds of the Power River Cartridge loads. I shot about half of them. They worked flawlessly in the Henry Big Boy, which is is a bit tempermental when it comes to what it eats. I think when I load, I will be using the Laser Cast bullets used in this load.

Thanks for the advise on the primers as well. I think the PRC use Federal, but not 100% sure.

I am liking TrailBoss for all of my Cowboy Loads. 38 Special, 38-40 and 45 Colt. No temp problems, no case position sensitivity found with some of the others.

I do load middle of the chart to upper on the TrailBoss powder.

I am liking TrailBoss for all of my Cowboy Loads. 38 Special, 38-40 and 45 Colt. No temp problems, no case position sensitivity found with some of the others.

I do load middle of the chart to upper on the TrailBoss powder.

+1 for the .38 and .45 with Trail Boss. Same loads and reasons as Marshal TKD.

"Some do use magnum primers, no powder, drill out the primer pocket a little and 90gr bullets"

I have NEVER seen this done in TEXAS :o ...It is against the rules for power factor ;)

"Some do use magnum primers, no powder, drill out the primer pocket a little and 90gr bullets"

I have NEVER seen this done in TEXAS :o ...It is against the rules for power factor ;)

Same here. Some folks talk about bullets that would bounce off a mosquito, but I have never seen them.

Thanks for correction Big Boyd with a Yeeeh, Ha, Pilgrim! Whatever it takes to get that lead flying.

Jckrbt

My current fave is a .38spl 158grn RNFP loaded at the upper end of the load data spread for Green Dot. It's hitting dead on from my open tops plus feeding well in the marlins.

Just for the heck of it I just checked the price of Laser Cast bullets from Oregon Bullet Co.Then I got back up off the floor and back here.$61.75 for 500 125 gr.Missouri Bullet company sells 125's for $32.Both are from the company that makes em.May want to check around some before you buy.

Yep, the Laser Cast name is a bit more (but shipping included takes the sting out a little bit).

Was also looking at mastercraftbullets.com ($30/500) as well as Clark's ($28/500).

Will probably order as assortment to be sure my tempermental Henry will eat it. It should as they are all TCFP.

Felt like I hit the lottery today. The ONLY pistol powder I could find in St George Utah just happened to be Trail Boss. I lucked out and grabbed their last bottle.

I get my bullets from Penn Bullet..... $60.00/1000 or you can order them 70lb bulk for 15.00 shipping.

That's about 4000 slugs in a Postal Box (I do not have a happy postal man).

Between lady and I we go through about 500 rounds every weekend on average with practice when the weather is not 30 degrees or 130 degrees.

I buy mine from Missouri Bullet.When I order I order 2000.If I don't need that many I have a few shooters that usually do so we'll each get 1000 or a combo to make a 4 box order.MB ships them flat rate for $13.

Buy bullets in lots of 5,000 for .38 ,,,, 158 gr RNFP

Buy .45s in lots of at least 10,000 ,,,,, 250 RNFP

Like RED DOT

But don't load light ,,,,,,,,, PF for .38s in my Open Top runs real close to 150 ,,,, My .45 top the 235 level for PF ...

Let them buck and snort ....

Jabez Cowboy

Pretty much every bullet company uses the USPS flat rate shipping.

Up to 70#s. There is a $12 box and a $16 box.

Most can fit 2,000 in the $12 box and 3,000 to 3,500 38s in the $16 box.

.45s you will get less in a box.

So if you are getting free shipping but paying way more for the bullet.

You really are paying for the shipping.

Archived