SASS Wire Forum

Georgia State Match, 2013

• Replies 709
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This was truly a great match. I've only been doing this for two years now, but this was easily the best state match I've been to yet. Congrats to Ozark Azz and Annabel Lee our overall Georgia State men's and ladies champions and to Santa Fe River Stan and Shamrock Sadie the men's and ladies overall winners!

Here's my buckaroo, Iron Cowboy laying down a 47 second 10-10-4+ Stage, his best yet.

You can see the final scores here: http://www.mindspring.com/~rbrr/stateresults.htm

Great Match. :)

I wanted to say Thank You to all the Riverbend Rough Riders for putting this match on. With the adverse weather conditions they did a great job!

Also I was on a great posse, Posse 2 !

Great Match. :)

I wanted to say Thank You to all the Riverbend Rough Riders for putting this match on. With the adverse weather conditions they did a great job!

+1 on that ,I'm glad we shot thru on Friday !

Rough Rider's know what southern hospiltilaty is !

Thanks too Judge'em All Duncan Witch Doctor & Crew for putting on a really fun match the last few years.

AO

Judge,

Just wanted to say that you and the crew did an outstanding job. The decision to shoot all ten was a bold move but it was the correct call no doubt. For my first big match as a GF, I couldn't think of a better place to do it. Stages were fantastic, straight forward and fast.

I was so happy to see you again and sad to think you won't be doing this again for a while, but we all need a break. Thanks to you and all who had a hand in putting this great match together and dealing with the inclement weather.

Take care and we'll see you down the trail.

Dang It and Darlin'

Dispite the weather and my "peeks and valleys" shooting times I had a blast!! This was one fun match and I'm glad I came again this year. The Judge and his crew sure put on a fine match and made tough but great decisions regarding the weather. Thanks to The Cracker and Michigan Crews for just being the fine folks that you are, this one will stay in my memories as one awesomely good time!!

Congrats to all of the winners!!

JEL

Ditto to all the above.

PERFECT decision Judge to run all 10 on Friday.

Had a blast (as always) shootin with the Michigan Pards and those Florida 'Cracker Crew' pards.

AND, I earned meowndangself a new nickname: Nimblesob.

I think its Chinese or Japanese for 'Friend' or 'Grey Haired GF'. Anyhow, because its one of them

Oriental words, Santa Fe River Stan (who gave it to me) had trouble pronouncing the latter part of it

and just spelled out the last 3 letters like: 'NimbleSOB'.

Not to slight anyone cause EVERYBODY shot great. But, it was a pleasure to shoot on the posse with 3 other

GFer's that seem to have a good time. Enjoyed shooting GF with Dang It Dan, Slater and Deadly Sharpshooter.

Once again, thanks Judge for a great match!

..........Widder (NimbleSOB)

I tolt yuze I wuzza gonna put a whuppon on Widder, and I did,,,,, 12 whole seconds!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GReat match!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TWSPBCCCKPOPJFGFLPRBSS

FYI, they got the scores posted.

What a great match!

Congrats to all the folks that shot sooo well and had a great time!

And to the new State Champs and other Official winners!!

Definitely the right decision to shoot all 10 on Friday. I would not have wanted to be out there yesterday. had a great time at the "Breakfast room Party" at the Comfort Suites. 30 of us drinking and lying,till late because we didn't have to shoot on Sat. in the downpour!. it was great. Stan, you really out did yourself with the contributions!

Excellent match, congratulations to all the winners especially those on posse 1.

9 clean matches and 10 category/ Ga.state champions. aannnddd...Annabel Lee overall Lady, way to go girl

Guest Chance Ramsay, SASS#18962

Thanks too Judge'em All Duncan, Witch Doctor & Crew for a great match. If you want to see a match put on for the cowboys & cowgirls they sure showed you how it was done. Within a matter of hours they took a '2' day shoot and made it a '1' day shoot and never missed a click in there program. If you didn't enjoy this than put you comments where the 'sun don't shine'.

Thank you to all the River Bend folks.

Chance & Chancey Lady

I tolt yuze I wuzza gonna put a whuppon on Widder, and I did,,,,, 12 whole seconds!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TWSPBCCCKPOPJFGFLPRBSS

Good to see you. Happy you made no wrong turns.

Thanks too Judge'em All Duncan, Witch Doctor & Crew for a great match. If you want to see a match put on for the cowboys & cowgirls they sure showed you how it was done. Within a matter of hours they took a '2' day shoot and made it a '1' day shoot and never missed a click in there program. If you didn't enjoy this than put you comments where the 'sun don't shine'.

Thank you to all the River Bend folks.

Chance & Chancey Lady

Thank you so much for your kind words Chance. I always enjoy getting to see you and your Lady . I am glad you enjoyed yourself this weekend. Judge writes a fine match. We just finished putting the steel away and we're getting ready for a little rest. I am sorry that the wind was so high with a blowing cold rain that we couldn't cover the patio as planned so that we could spread out a little bit at the banquet. I was very impressed with how well the cowboys took that crowded situation in stride and started to make a game out of it. Thank all of you for your patience with that part of the "nothing went according to plans" weekend. See you somewhere soon.... WD

34 gunfighters! Awesome! I know it would have been great fun. I will try to plan for it next year.

Possum

I'm sorry Possum. The Georgia State Match will be held at the South River Gun Club next year, not at the River Bend Gun Club. I know they sound a lot alike so I don't want you to be confused; they are about 100 miles apart with Atlanta in between. Witch Doctor

Thanks to Judge and the GA crew. You guys had the brass to make the tough calls and turned out a great match. Tuco and I had a blast. Judge, take some time to relax . Hope to see you down the trail sooner than later.

Inquiring minds want to know, what was the Pig Iron Challenge this year?

Randy

Randy, he had 3 different items. He had a 4 target shotgun wheel the you started spinning by pulling of the string. It had 4 clays each 90 degrees apart. You had to get all 4 targets with 4 shells.

He also had a rifle target that had a steel plate with a hole in the middle. He put a live shotgun round in the hole and you had to hit the primer and set the shell off. He had it loaded with black powder and some concoction that he wifey, the resident head shrinker, worked up in her cauldron wearing her bestest witch hat.

The pistol targets were 5 tubes about 1 1/2 inch in diameter. The bullet would go up the tube and hit a little release that raised a little flag at the end of the tube. You had 10 shots to do that. I watched Easy Rider and Hikes Point Hank shoot the pistols gunfighter and raised all 5 flags....very impressive.

Pig Iron has a creative mind and comes up with interesting challenges....its always fun to shoot a Pig Iron challenge.

The Pig Iron special was great again this year. Similar to last years except for the rifle. Again, it was not a time event for obvious reasons.

Instead of a rope like last year, the rifle target was about the size of a bolt head, colored white in the same location as a normal bolt head on a normal sized rifle target. . We wondered how you would even know when you hit it? But when you hit is squarely, it exploded!

Dirt was saying as he loaded that if he had confidence he would only load one round. But he loaded 10 - then hit it on his first shot. It took me 5, but they said I hit it on my third shot, but evidently not squarely.

The shot gun was four targets on a wheel sorta like the Texas star but using clay targets. You started by pulling the rope, then loading your shotgun.

The last pistol portion was the box with flags. The box had five 1 inch holes in it. When you hit the whole well, it would raise a flag. You had 10 rounds to get 5 flags.

Last year I was using 105 grain bullets and forgot I had set my pistols up to hit with 125's. So I went to 125's but it still shot just a little low, so once I saw how much Kentucky Windage for each pistol, I did fine. But ended up with four flags up and only one shot left. So I had to bear down and got it with my last shot. So I made it on my first round. Had the pleasure of being the first to get the badge. Dirt did it right after me.

Congrats on a GREAT match. Judge, Witch Doctor, and all the crew really outdid themselves, with a contingency plan that really worked.

You all have represented us Georgia clubs so well in hosting our State match the last three years. Makes us proud to be fellow Georgians!

And I made it through with no broken bones this year :D

TWSPBCCCKPOPJFGFLPRBSS

Yep you did and CONGRTS on a well shot match my friend. You Da Man!

Matter of fact, I think I got whooped up on by a couple folks. But I don't think I would go back and

do anything different.

It was a great match.

But, I did win the coveted Speed '97 side match. That surprised me. I got to watch some of my heros

shoot like Arcadia Outlaw, Stan and of course Deuce. Those fellers can fly.

Deuce whipped out 4 of the fastest shots I've ever witnessed. I think he could take a single shot and

make it sound like a loaded pump gun.

..........Widder a.k.a.... Nimblesob

The GA match this year was great. The Riverbend Rough Riders worked really hard on making the match a great one and it showed. Great stages and props, interesting shot sequences....even got to sit on a rocket and shoot. I've shot off wagons but never a rocket....ole Judge outdid himself this year. I'm sure Shifty Eye is looking down on his saloon with pride, what a great job the folks did putting that together and in a short time too....great addition to the Riverbend cowboy range.

It was great to see old friends and make new ones as well. I'll tell ya the Cracker crew and Michigan crew are great shooters and great folks. I watched the speed pistol side match for a while and I'll tell ya there are a few folks with bionic thumbs.

Widder, it's always good to shoot with you....look forward to shooting with you again.

And....I won the in-state Blabberfingers award for this thread on the Wire...thank you very much Witch Doctor. :)

Just a great shoot all around and great job by all involved.

Kajun

The GA match this year was great. The Riverbend Rough Riders worked really hard on making the match a great one and it showed. Great stages and props, interesting shot sequences....even got to sit on a rocket and shoot. I've shot off wagons but never a rocket....ole Judge outdid himself this year. I'm sure Shifty Eye is looking down on his saloon with pride, what a great job the folks did putting that together and in a short time too....great addition to the Riverbend cowboy range.

It was great to see old friends and make new ones as well. I'll tell ya the Cracker crew and Michigan crew are great shooters and great folks. I watched the speed pistol side match for a while and I'll tell ya there are a few folks with bionic thumbs.

Widder, it's always good to shoot with you....look forward to shooting with you again.

And....I won the in-state Blabberfingers award for this thread on the Wire...thank you very much Witch Doctor. :)

Just a great shoot all around and great job by all involved.

Kajun

This ain't nothin', Kajun. Wait til you see the thread I start NEXT year! :P

Thank you so much for your kind words Chance. I always enjoy getting to see you and your Lady . I am glad you enjoyed yourself this weekend. Judge writes a fine match. We just finished putting the steel away and we're getting ready for a little rest. I am sorry that the wind was so high with a blowing cold rain that we couldn't cover the patio as planned so that we could spread out a little bit at the banquet. I was very impressed with how well the cowboys took that crowded situation in stride and started to make a game out of it. Thank all of you for your patience with that part of the "nothing went according to plans" weekend. See you somewhere soon.... WD

WD, if we can't do anything else, we shore can ad lib!

It was a GREAT match. We had a blast even though the weather didn't cooperate. The folks in charge were thinking on their feet and trying their best to accommodate the shooters and make the best decisions for the changing weather. That's harder than folks think when you have to ditch months worth’s of plans and start going on-the-fly. I can't thank em' enough for the hard work and flexibility at the last minute. Great job....you should all be proud.

Randy, he had 3 different items. He had a 4 target shotgun wheel the you started spinning by pulling of the string. It had 4 clays each 90 degrees apart. You had to get all 4 targets with 4 shells.

He also had a rifle target that had a steel plate with a hole in the middle. He put a live shotgun round in the hole and you had to hit the primer and set the shell off. He had it loaded with black powder and some concoction that he wifey, the resident head shrinker, worked up in her cauldron wearing her bestest witch hat.

The pistol targets were 5 tubes about 1 1/2 inch in diameter. The bullet would go up the tube and hit a little release that raised a little flag at the end of the tube. You had 10 shots to do that. I watched Easy Rider and Hikes Point Hank shoot the pistols gunfighter and raised all 5 flags....very impressive.

Pig Iron has a creative mind and comes up with interesting challenges....its always fun to shoot a Pig Iron challenge.

Hi Kajun, I got to see Joe West do it with cap and ball pistols. I wouldn't embarrass myself by even shooting at it - I was afraid I would miss the whole plate! Judge had much bigger targets in the main match. WD

:) Thanks to Witch Doctor, Judge and all the Riverbend crew for a wonderful Match. The decision to do 10 on Friday was for sure the right one. Chalenging but fun stages, a good banquet and a SUPER awards presentation were only part of the fun.

I would like to echo WD's awards to Slick's Sharp Shooter and Olin Winchester for the never ending work. Every time you looked around the were helping with something else and Little Slick with a fever. Get well quick gal.

Thanks to our many out of state guest, many of which traveled hundreds of miles in the rain for their attrendance. It is always a treat to see these guys and gals and watch some of the top dogs in the sport do their majic. The happy hour at the host hotel was a real hoot, althought I ran out of gas before it ended.

Congrats to all the winners, some of whom recieved awards and some did not. Hope to see ya all down the trail.

McKenzie

Kajun, thanks, that's what I miss the most, except maybe a hug from Witch Doctor. I shot the year he just had the rope to shoot and had a ball, all this extra is just icing on the cake.

Randy

Well folks we got it done. Congratulations to Santa Fe River Stan and Shamrock Sadie as our Top Cowboy and Cowgirl!!

With a little bit of work we got everything done and all the shooters were able to shoot all 10 stages. Thank you all for hanging in and rolling with the punches.

We are so glad you all enjoyed the match.

Next year there will be a new group in charge and I hope you all can come back go Georgia and shoot with them.

Thank you all so much for coming. All of my decisions were made with the shooter in mind.

I hope you all enjoyed it.

Judge

Well folks we got it done. Congratulations to Santa Fe River Stan and Shamrock Sadie as our Top Cowboy and Cowgirl!!

With a little bit of work we got everything done and all the shooters were able to shoot all 10 stages. Thank you all for hanging in and rolling with the punches.

We are so glad you all enjoyed the match.

Next year there will be a new group in charge and I hope you all can come back go Georgia and shoot with them.

Thank you all so much for coming. All of my decisions were made with the shooter in mind.

I hope you all enjoyed it.

Judge

Lason and I enjoyed ourselves very much, except maybe the part about the talent show being cancelled. I was really wanting to see Bill Burt's mime impression.

Matches don't get any better! Great fun. Good stagewriting, terrific local support from so many, and tons of fun for all of us who had the privilege of shooting it. Thanks to Witch Doctor, Judge, Matt, Tuco, Pig Iron and all the others who made it possible, and congratulations to those who won. There was plenty of competition for those who find comparing their skills stimulating.

Archived