SASS Wire Forum

Affordable 10 gauge Double

Come On Christmas

I bought a single barrel NEF that is fun (Mighty Clouds of Holy Smoke). Does any manufacturer make a SASSable 10 gauge double presently or what brand or type should I look for in an affordable beast or does this exist?

Once is not enough

Shameless Womanizer

AKA Honey Badger

Cool, so it can be done. Now I will have to figure out how to raise the funds.

But, does any American manufacturers still sell them. Or what used one has readily available parts?

Yep, the Spanish Zabala's, and their various alias's, are a good shotgun AND nitro proofed... but they don't have hammers. I picked up a Richland branded one from gunbroker just over a year ago for $311 + $45 shipping & transfer fee.

If you're looking for a vintage hammer gun, which will undoubtedly be black powder only, keep your eyes on gunbroker, and save some searches so you get a notification email when something is listed matching your search terms. I picked up a BEAUTIFUL 1889 Remington 10g from gunbroker five months ago for $300 + $25 shipping - I was the ONLY bidder! Another one came from a pard I shoot with who upgraded his ten and sold me his old one for $200. Yet another one came from gunbroker a year and a half back for $300 + $30 shipping. In order to find 'em, ya gotta be constantly looking. ;)

There's a single shot Davenport 8ga on gunbroker right now, but #1 it ain't officially allowed in our game, #2 it's already bid up to at least twice what it's worth (currently $855), and #3 a person might have a bit of trouble finding 24+ brass shells for it to get through a whole match. :lol: Even plastic hulls are tough to find for a reasonable price.

There are no SxS tens being made in the US today, but the Zabala may still be being made...? About the only ten you would be able to buy and still get readily available parts for today is the NEF you already have.

J Bar set you on the right track. I have a SxS Zabala 10 gauge. It's been cut to 18 1/2" and it's still a beast. It's proof tested for modern shells but I can't help but shoot black powder in it. Fills the whole shooting bay with smoke. And you don't have any problems with sticky knockdowns either.

The only drawback is, I haven't found anyone who commercially loads 10 gauge shells with lead birdshot. Everything I've found is steel shot for duck hunting. I have to load the shells myself which means changing the dies in my Mec loader. I only drag out the beast about once a year but it is a crowd pleaser.

Zabala went under a few years ago, from my latest info on them. But, they made a reasonable quality and price gun. A used one probably has not been shot much. :lol:

Good luck, GJ

Cool, so it can be done. Now I will have to figure out how to raise the funds.

But, does any American manufacturers still sell them. Or what used one has readily available parts?

I do not believe any company is currently making a double barrelled 10 gauge. The introduction of the 3 1/2" 12 gauge shell made the 10g unnecessary for most hunting situations.

Figure parts, IF they break, will probably require a gunsmith to make new ones. Do NOT dry fire the older shotguns without snap caps, you will be paying for a new firing pin to be made.

In addition to the standard auction sites, try http://www.artfact.com/ or http://www.auctionzip.com/ and look for auctions selling guns, there are filters to allow you to search for auctions with guns in them. NOTE these are regular auctions and the 3 or 5 day grace period on gunbroker and such probably won't apply. The flip side is most of the ones selling guns rely on positive word of mouth, so they aren't likely to try and screw over the bidders.

I've bought two of my three 10 gauges through these types of auctions and have been very pleased with the results.

Here is/was a GREAT buy on a NEF/H&R single shot, but somebody decided to try and get it cheap and didn't do Buy It Now for $229.99 w/free shipping. I wish I'd seen it yesterday before a bid was entered, but I just saw it and entered a bid that brings the total to the same $229.99 with shipping. It will go higher, but I'm out at my current bid if anyone else wants to bid on it. :P

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=331299700

J Bar set you on the right track. I have a SxS Zabala 10 gauge. It's been cut to 18 1/2" and it's still a beast. It's proof tested for modern shells but I can't help but shoot black powder in it. Fills the whole shooting bay with smoke. And you don't have any problems with sticky knockdowns either.

The only drawback is, I haven't found anyone who commercially loads 10 gauge shells with lead birdshot. Everything I've found is steel shot for duck hunting. I have to load the shells myself which means changing the dies in my Mec loader. I only drag out the beast about once a year but it is a crowd pleaser.

You can get BP lead shot shells from Gads Custom Cartridges. They aren't cheap but he will build anything you want.

You can get BP lead shot shells from Gads Custom Cartridges. They aren't cheap but he will build anything you want.

More fun making them your ownself!

Jar Bar. I suppose I should be happy with VAVOOM my NEF 10 ga single extra choke I bought for $159 off GB.

• 1 month later...

Archived