SASS Wire Forum

MARYLAND - We Lost First Battle - Hearings Continue

Dogmeat Dad, SASS #48563L

UPDATE: 02/28/2013

The Full Maryland Senate passed this bill today. It now goes to the House. I am not even sure that it needs to go through the committee hearings process. Ignore the Constitution was their rallying cry!

Original Post......

With the passage of the Assault Weapons Ban, Fingerprint, License, Magazine Limit bill all but assured in the Maryland Senate, the battle now moves to the House. Hearings are scheduled for Friday, 1 March 2013, with additional hearings next week in both the House and Senate. The Legislators have decided that We The People don't matter as they have ignored the 100 to 1 opposition that is appearing in every location that hearings or meetings are held.

Below is some additional information from Associated Gun Clubs of Baltimore and Maryland Shall Issue with included links for additional information.

WE NEED TO KEEP SHOWING UP IN FORCE! PUT YOUR FACE IN FRONT OF THE LEGISLATORS AND LOOK THEM IN THE EYE AND MAKE THEM CALL YOU A CRIMINAL TO YOUR FACE! IF YOU CAN"T BE THERE WRITE, EMAIL, OR CALL!!

Dogmeat Dad

ASSOCIATED GUN CLUBS OF BALTIMORE

Frosh Changes Hearing Schedule to Weaken Gun Rights Response

Early this morning we discovered that Senator Brian Frosh had rescheduled the gun bill hearings from Tuesday, March 5th to Wednesday, March 6th. This move was almost certainly intended to to thin our ranks at the hearings.

A total of 52 bills will be heard over 3 days in 3 Committees. This tactic is intended to dilute our numbers, which is why a strong "boots on the ground" turnout is so important.

Friday, March 1st @ 1:00 PM:

4 bills in the House Health & Government Operations Committee
8 bills in the House Judiciary Committee (including the Governor's gun ban)

Tuesday, March 5th @ 1:00 PM

25 bills in the House Judiciary Committee

Wednesday, March 6th @ 1:00 PM

15 bills in the Senate Judicial Proceedings Committee

Be sure to click the links immediately below for important information. Keep up the email pressure; this is critical if we are to prevail in the face of the Governor's attack on our rights.

http://campaign.r20.constantcontact.com/render?llr=p85wsocab&v=0014Ey5FNw0bDIyEBF9pXvr1p4zZqZjU8ea4sD6dL9u8Z5VaCIymXNo_Ia7w4z97lwtxar70LaLzCGdIkQ8wQfDe4kf8fGfABQCV5AWDT6Ry7YK9ob9JZReS3sVdvuR9QzSIMRX8__idZK2K9Onn6P2qeYvgT-xZDvUk-ZNvBarPL_EtdBuKVejGBJnWXYF9HuEebp6U8c9Dtah0JG2j69nGw%3D%3D

MARYLAND SHALL ISSUE

This week is critical to our defense of our civil rights in Maryland. In addition to our work opposing these bills on the Senate floor starting next Tuesday, we also have two important events in the House this Friday.

House Accommodations for Large Crowds

All parties learned from the Senate hearings on the 6th. MSI has worked with the House to simplify and streamline the process to sign up as a witness for the hearings. There will now be many sign-in sheets available in order to avoid lines to become a witness. MSI, NRA and others will have staff on site to help you through the building, to answer your questions and to identify and assist with issues as they arise. The House has also moved the hearings to a larger room, and we have extended the overflow space into the entire delegation spaces and the reception rooms of the first floor. In short, we can handle much larger crowds to avoid the lock out that occurred in the Senate earlier this month.

Importantly, Chairman Vallario of House Judiciary Committee has said they will "turn out the cots" to hear as many people as possible. There will be an orderly procedure in getting your voice heard - our groups will help you identify the time at which you will be called to testify and get you to the correct location. There will be comfort stations and wireless Internet will be available.

That said, this won't be about sitting around and waiting for your voice to be heard.

Hearings Begin At Noon on the 1st. Sign Up Early.

MSI is teaming with other organizations to host the first ever Self-Defense Policy Conference, held in the Maryland House of Delegates on Friday, 1 March starting at 1 PM.

This conference is your opportunity to learn more about the technical and constitutional challenges involved in Governor O'Malley's gun control legislation, plus an opportunity to discuss the issues and how they affect you. We will have multiple sessions spread over the course of the day, and each offers you a chance to learn and be heard.

These are the "Hearings Beyond the Committee,” and lawmakers and staff from the both the House and Senate are invited and several are likely to take the opportunity to hear from you.

The conference is free to attend and you may sign in for sessions and topics on site, starting at noon. Refreshments will be served throughout the day.

Your Attendance Is Critical

Our attendance at the Senate hearings had a big impact. Things changed and are now in flux. This was supposed to be an easy session for gun grabbers, but your participation ended that fantasy. We knocked them back on their legislative heels. It is time to push again. Your voice is important. Your attendance is required.

The combination of public hearings, policy conference and office visits will keep any of us occupied through the day. Come join your friends and participate in the conference, and have your voice heard in the hearings.

http://us4.campaign-archive2.com/?u=f9a3fb0d5de76b58560e66d8e&id=c55043f4c2&e=9b5ad3beb2

Sitting in the hearing now. If the Governor was Pinocchio, he would be able to smell his own A$$ without bending over.

There at least 1000 signed in to testify so far (almost all pro-gun) and the line is still out the door and down the block. There was over 22000 pages of written testimony submitted in opposition, crushing the previous record.

I am proud of everyone here, I just hope it matters.

Hearing is going very well for our side. So far, no personal testimony, only enpaneled speakers. Most of the legislators are doing a smack-down on the anti's which is good. There are 1100+ pro-gun Marylanders here (we all got numbers when we came in) which is pretty good considering this is day two.

No telling how the vote will go, but the pro-gun side is kicking butt.

DD

After spending 14 hours in Annapolis waiting to testify, our legislators still do not get the message.

After the wanna be president, governor O'Mally, filled their heads with false numbers and spun dribble, over 1,300 citizens were, lined up with the real truth.

Dogmeat Dad, DQ Dave, Tug Hill and myself had numbers, to testify, in the 180 range. We spoke at 9:00 PM. Each speaker was limited to 1 minute.

After the 12 hour mark, I had re-written what I was going to say several times. My goal was to try and find something different to say. You could tell the delegates were drifting off a bit, as it was a long day for them as well.

When it was my time to speak, I gave them my name and where I lived.

I then said, briskly, "I have Good news, Bad news and then Good news."

They took notice, partially because they had not heard this all day.

"Good news is, we have been treated today professionaly and with respect and dignity. We have been processed here today as efficiently as we possible could have been, given the record number of people. I appreciate your patience and the opportunity to speak to you this evening."

"Bad news is we fear this body of our legislature. We fear you because we know, and most of you really know, that this legislation will not work. And when this legislation does not work, what are you going to do next?"

"Good news, there are over 900 more of us standing in line, waiting to testify."

As of 12:45 AM Saturday morning, there were still 50 people waiting to testify.

I'd, fly the Maryland flag upside down but it is such a stupid design, no-one would notice.

UPDATE: The hearing took apposing testimony until 4:00 AM!!

Roo

After spending 14 hours in Annapolis waiting to testify, our legislators still do not get the message.

After the wanna be president, governor O'Mally, filled their heads with false numbers and spun dribble, over 1,300 citizens were, lined up with the real truth.

Dogmeat Dad, DQ Dave, Tug Hill and myself had numbers, to testify, in the 180 range. We spoke at 9:00 PM. Each speaker was limited to 1 minute.

After the 12 hour mark, I had re-written what I was going to say several times. My goal was to try and find something different to say. You could tell the delegates were drifting off a bit, as it was a long day for them as well.

When it was my time to speak, I gave them my name and where I lived.

I then said, briskly, "I have Good news, Bad news and then Good news."

They took notice, partially because they had not heard this all day.

"Good news is, we have been treated today professionaly and with respect and dignity. We have been processed here today as efficiently as we possible could have been, given the record number of people. I appreciate your patience and the opportunity to speak to you this evening."

"Bad news is we fear this body of our legislature. We fear you because we know, and most of you really know, that this legislation will not work. And when this legislation does not work, what are you going to do next?"

"Good news, there are over 900 more of us standing in line, waiting to testify."

I wish we'd had SASS name tags! I remember your testimony. It was excellent.

Final numbers were approximately 1350 opposed to the gun grab, 32 in favor. We're continuing to fight the good fight.

I was #246 around 10 p.m.

Whhooooooaaaa! Who is this Guest_Chuckaroo? Is this the new "Stealtharoo"? :ph34r:

Dogmeat Dad

P.S. Maryland has hearings scheduled again for Tuesday and Wednesday. They will pass something, somehow, someway. Ignoring the overwhelming opposition to further their political agenda. I'd say more, but right now my ulcers can't handle it!

Hats off to our Maryland pards keep up the fight. We are all behind you..... that way when we turn around to run we'll be in front. Sorry just tryin to lightin the mood. Good luck pards.

UPDATE: 03/05/2013

Today was Day 3 of the Gun Bill hearings in Annapolis, the House Judiciary Committee heard (actually they are still hearing!) bills concerning Safe Gun Storage Requirements, requirements for Photo ID and Background checks to purchase ammunition, concealed carry, and many others, 22 Bills in total. Of those 22 bills, 7 were Pro-Gun, 3 were documentational with no real affect, and the other 12 were Anti-Gun. We all got signed in and assigned a number order to testify, highest I saw was 393 but I am sure there were over 500.

There was a rally in the mall next to the Governors Mansion and we had news copters, cameras, and the works. The NRA-ILA representative was there along with several of the Delegates who are Pro-Gun. 500 may not seem like many compared to our more recent turnout, but remember that this is Day 3 with another to go tomorrow. They are basically wearing us down one day at a time.

About the NRA-ILA representative, SHE IS AWESOME! She was at the last gun bill day and stayed until the end at 4:00am and was there again today. She is smart, well studied, responded to questions with facts ( not supposition like the antis ) and never backed down from the legislators. If you think the NRA is not there supporting us, you are wrong. They can't be everywhere all the time, but they are there! JOIN/RENEW YOUR NRA MEMBERSHIP! (Ok, I'm climbing off my soapbox now)

The Committee Chairman broke the bills into three groups. After "Expert" testimony on Group A Bills, each person was given 1 minute to speak. After everyone gets their chance, they will start group B bills, experts, testimony, and then repeat for Group C. Tug Hill and I were numbers 41 & 42 and we didn't testify until 3:30pm. With another 5+ hours of testimony on the Group A bills ahead, and then a repeat of 5+ hours for each of the other groups, we tailored our testimony to be somewhat generic, said our piece, and left. After 3 Days, and countless hours preparing, we were just done in. We had an hour drive to get back to my home area and Tug had another hour beyond that, and with 6-12 inches of snow targeted to start around mid-night, we needed to hit the road home. Hopefully, someone else who stayed will be able to complete the update.

My testimony (as best as I can remember it)

My name is "Dogmeat Dad" and I am a life long resident of Montgomery County, MD.

Gun Control is one of those subjects where people have diametrically opposed views with very little middle ground. About the only thing we can all agree on is that guns in the hands of criminals is a bad thing. How we address that issue is the problem. The one thing that is guaranteed is that placing limitations on the rights of law-abiding citizens will have no affect on crime.

Despite what Governor O'Malley is saying, the majority of Marylanders do not want gun control. The Maryland State Police typically process 300 applications for the purchase of regulated firearms per week (Note to the Cowboys - All handgun and some long gun purchases require a secondary State Background check and all of those firearms are registered in a State Database) but are presently receiving 4-500 applications per day. At one gun per month per person (Yep, we've got that too!) that is 8-10,000 separate Maryland Citizens that are buying a regulated firearm each month. That is NOT support for gun control.

The solution is simple. Enforce the laws already on the books. Punish the criminals, punish them harshly, and leave the law-abiding citizens alone.

And that is all the time I had. A minute is not much time to defend your rights.

Personally, I think the fix is in. Most of the Delegates had gone into what I consider to be "Solitaire Mode", staring at their computer screens, not asking questions, just trying to get it over with as soon as possible. Considering that the full Senate has all ready passed their version of the AWB, including license w/fingerprints and fees to purchase handguns/centerfire semiautomatics (Assault Weapons), mandatory training, magazine capacity limited to 10, ammunition recordation, and more, I am not sure that much of this mattered. At one point the bill also required registration of all firearms already owned along with all large capacity magazines, but I think that was pulled out of the Senate bill. The House Committees don't even need to pass the AWB if they are willing to accept and vote on the Senate version of the bill.

For those of you fighting this fight in your own state, I wish you the best. Give it all you can. It's a long ugly road that we in Maryland have been fighting for well over a decade. For those of you in the gun friendly states, don't think for a minute that this can't happen to you too. I just laugh/cry when I think of the state motto, Maryland - The Free State!, what a joke.

For me, I am down to emails and phone calls. I think my Reps have me call blocked at this point. I won't rule out another trip to Annapolis this year, but I am pretty worn down. It sucks the life out of you to watch the people who supposedly work for you, completely ignore the overwhelming opposition to their positions and work diligently to strip our rights from us. At least the Legislative session only last 90 days. They only have 34 more days to abuse our rights this year. I truly pity those of you with full time legislatures.

Dogmeat Dad

Archived