SASS Wire Forum

Mec 600 Jr

Come On Christmas

Looks like I r gonna win an auction on an older Mec 600 Jr. I have always used a Lee Loader in the past so forgive my ignoramus.

Does the first station resize the shell or is that why Mec has a stand alone crimper?

Thin Q very much,

Shameless

Nice to see your still moving around in all that snow out there.

I use a 600. Your going to love it.

If you have nothing going on in June come on back home for are 3day.14,15,16th.

Take care pard

Wagon Master Duke

Oh, all that snow is up in the Texas Panhandle up Amarillo way. A world away from me. I think it was 60 degrees most of today near Dallas town.

Chameless Woomanizer

My Mexican handle

MEC has manuals for its old reloaders online in pdf format. Once you know you model just print it out. The instructions are clear. MEC Jrs are pretty simple presses.

Yeah, I feel pretty good about it the press has the original manual and the seller has a 14 day return policy. I am gonna need a couple of bottles at this point.

Shameless

Shameless,

Many water, sports drink or soda bottles or even the older one pound powder canisters will work until you can find or order the proper shot and powder containers.

Hope this helps,

Smoke

Looks like I r gonna win an auction on an older Mec 600 Jr. I have always used a Lee Loader in the past so forgive my ignoramus.

Does the first station resize the shell or is that why Mec has a stand alone crimper?

Thin Q very much,

Shameless

Yes the 600 jr does indeed resize at the 1st station. It utilizes a ring sizer instead of the collet found on most MEC's. THe Supersizer is mainly needed for use with the MEC 650 press, which has no resizer.

RBK

They seem to be turning for around $100 delivered on eBay and gunbroker. They are back ordered on Midway. Prolly because of the present hysteria.

Think I will wait and luck on one for $40 to 60 when calmer times surely will.

Seems like just a few months ago you could by the 600 Jr all day long for around $40 on e-bay. Those days are gone. You can't beat the 600 Jr unless you are into loading a mega amount of shells. One thing for sure, you can't wear one out. Good luck.

Dee Mak

The only difference is the Mec jr. is a crimp die and it takes a little more effort to size the hull. The collet style takes a little less effort when resizing. I started with a 600 then went to a Sizemaster then a Grabber.

Well, the ring sizer on the Mec 600 JR will do SOME amount of sizing. But, if you are trying to make your shells be minimum size and pass the recently available shotshell sizing gauges (like from Cowboys and Indian store or UniqueTec), you will find about 20% of your loads will not gauge properly, because, with the trend for cutting off the top half of "figure-8" extractors on doubles, some gunsmiths leave a fraction of the chamber unsupported. The case head swells especially into that unsupported region, and you get a slightly bulged case head.

So, if you want really reliable shotshells out of the MEC 600 Jr, ones that shuck well from doubles, you probably ought to invest in a Mec 777 SuperSizer as well. Just size the hulls in the 777 before you start running them in the 600, and you will have more complete resizing.

Good luck, GJ

+1 on resizing them in a separate machine. I have a buddy who used to shoot skeet a good bit years ago and he gave me a now discontinued Mec Case Conditioner (this one).

Two years ago I acquired quite a few hulls from the Ambush AL state match. I filled up a bath tub full of hot water and cleaned all of them up and let them dry for a few days. I then set the Mec Case Conditioner up on my loading bench and resized a few thousand hulls and now have them stored in plastic containers ready to reload.

I use a Mec 600 Jr to reload and I just start with the priming and it is a lot easier to relead hulls that have already been resized and deprimed and cleaned.

I also got one of those shot shell case checker from UniqueTec and check every hull to make sure it will chamber easily. When I find the occasional one that drags a little I just put it back in the final crimp stage in the Mec Jr and run the press down on it, then rotate the shell 90 degrees and press again....all the way around doing this 4 times. I find that this will make it run through the case checker at least 90% of them time. When I have one that still drags I just put it in my rejected pile and use it to practice with. My wife wants to get some shooting time with our home defense shotgun (a pump) and it serves that purpose as well.

Kajun

Got one in 28,20,16 & 12 gauges they are great presses and will last near forever .... One of my 12 presses has loaded 250 rounds a week for over 35 years with-out a problem .....

I also have "Super Sizers" in both 12 & 20 ga.

Along with other presses also by MEC for 3 inch steel shell loading , and volume shooting in 12 ga ... These presses are set-up for one type of load and stay that way....

Jabez Cowboy

Right now the pawn shops are even in a feeding frenzy but if things ever settle down again look around those. I bought a good 'old' pawn shop one and used it fer years before selling it for more than I paid for it but I had upgraded it considerably. They are excellent and I actually wish I had held on to mine, just as a 'black powder only' loader.

Archived