SASS Wire Forum

New Chevrons At West Point

Subdeacon Joe

Duty, Honor, Country.

"Duty, honor, country: Those three hallowed words reverently dictate what you ought to be, what you can be, what you will be. They are your rallying point to build courage when courage seems to fail, to regain faith when there seems to be little cause for faith, to create hope when hope becomes forlorn."

Gen Douglas MacArthur. 1962

For several years West Point has been doing a lot of interesting work in the areas of energy research and usage. When the Army looked at the real cost of getting a gallon of diesel to a FOB in Afghanistan, they realized that energy usage was not just a "green" issue but an operational issue on many levels.

I understand the energy "waves" that are supposed to be represented by the new insignia, but I still can't get past a classmate who called it "The Brigade Bacon Officer" insignia.

<pause>

Now if they could just teach the cadets to play football...........

You ain't the only one waiting for that moment to arrive. It's down right depressing to watch games, much less the Army-Navy matchup. My friend just renewed his season tickets to Michie Stadium for the purpose of "Tailgating, of course. And if a football game breaks out, so much the better."

For several years West Point has been doing a lot of interesting work in the areas of energy research and usage. When the Army looked at the real cost of getting a gallon of diesel to a FOB in Afghanistan, they realized that energy usage was not just a "green" issue but an operational issue on many levels.

I understand the energy "waves" that are supposed to be represented by the new insignia, but I still can't get past a classmate who called it "The Brigade Bacon Officer" insignia.

<pause>

Now if they could just teach the cadets to play football...........

You ain't the only one waiting for that moment to arrive. It's down right depressing to watch games, much less the Army-Navy matchup. My friend just renewed his season tickets to Michie Stadium for the purpose of "Tailgating, of course. And if a football game breaks out, so much the better."

All we can do is hope, Charlie. :)

What I cannot figure out is what has changed, other than that Jim Young was our coach way back when...

We didn't have tougher, bigger, faster, or better players back then.

Our opponents several notches better than Stony Brook and the likes which the Black Knights compete against now.

But the Class of '87 brought home two Commander-in-Chief's Trophies and two bowl victories over Big Ten schools. We tied Tennessee in Neyland Stadium. (General Neyland would have been proud of his Alma Mater!) Two years we were nationally ranked in the Top 25, and not just in rushing yards.

I've voiced my frustrations to the AD and anyone else who'll listen. It's a down right embarrassment the way our team is playing.

Yep. I suspect that the powers have decided that academics are more important. I guess I have no problem with that, but somehow I think it is leaving a hole in the Esprit de Corp.

As far as Navy goes, the suggestion is Annapolis. And stay there until we get this straightened out.

Esprit de CORPSE is more like it at football games these days. I was up there last fall for my 25th reunion and it was embarrasing to see the lack of sincere energy within the Corps. Cadets were volunteering for guard duty in the main campus so they wouldn't have to go to the stadium.

I agree that warfighting and education have to be top priority over intercollegiate athletics, but Army football is at a stage where it's having an impact on morale and performance within the Corps. Something needs to change.

Esprit de CORPSE is more like it at football games these days. I was up there last fall for my 25th reunion and it was embarrasing to see the lack of sincere energy within the Corps. Cadets were volunteering for guard duty in the main campus so they wouldn't have to go to the stadium.

I agree that warfighting and education have to be top priority over intercollegiate athletics, but Army football is at a stage where it's having an impact on morale and performance within the Corps. Something needs to change.

Hey Charlie,

By last fall do you mean just 6 months ago, or the year before?

I've watched a couple Army games prior to A-N this past year and I've had the sense that things were beginning to turn around for the program, and in my experience the Corps (Brigade,in my case) has to be with them to turn that corner (My Plebe year was a positive turn for us after 4 years of decline - we believed and beat 4 teams in the top ten that year).

Army outplayed my Navy team the last half and we need them to be the best on both sides of the rivalry. The greatest rivalry in all of sports for many reasons the majo0rity of sports fans will never grasp.

As we always said to each other in telegrams at the beginning of each season: "May we meet on the field this year, undefeated!"

Harvey

Go Navy, Beat Army!

Harvey,

I was there six months ago, September '12, for my 25th reunion.

I agree that the Army team started to see a "turnaround" near the end of the season, and this year's Army-Navy was worth watching. But we have a long way to go.

I will always cheer for Navy, until you play us. It was about 15 years ago or so that both Army and Navy went into the game with stellar seasons and the game was about more than nostalgia and patriotism. I look forward to getting back to those days, and I do believe it will happen.

Charlie

Go Army! Beat Navy!

Archived