SASS Wire Forum

Did anyone watch Pawn Stars last night?

Middlefork Bob, SASS #53945

20 something year old kid brings in a pair of Colt 1860 army engraved revolvers in excellent condition says he found them in the garage of a house he bought??? Really! who leave $5,000.00+ worth of antique firearms in their garage and then moves without taking them?? I call BS on this episode.

Hi Dick,

"Worth" is a moving target. (Pun intended.) What something is worth to a dealer who wants to resell at a profit is different from what a seller wants to get out of something. Or, it's something totally different (replacement value maybe) to an insurance company.

I do believe they paid him $5000 for the pair.

Regards,

Allie Mo

Is $5000 what they told him they were worth?

BTW, they would be 1860 armies or 1861 navies.

1860 army's Fixed it. And yes Rick gave him 5K for them because it wasn't colt factory engraving. I was thinking that either this is the luckiest kid on the planet or those guns are so hot I wouldn't touch them without asbestos gloves.

I believe a business person should make a fair profit but ...

I stopped watching the program - his last and final offer was $3,200 for a Winchester 1876 deluxe that looked to be 85-90% antique grade. I would have paid the kid $10,000 and both of us would have been happy. Then I could have doubled my money if I sold it

PS: Read that each showing is $1,000,000 paid to the old man

There's always a possibility his story is real. A friend of mine does cleanouts on houses repossessed by a bank. He is allowed to keep anything he finds. He has found guns, gold coins, a Corvair Monza Spider in a garage and a number of other items. The Monza and the gold coins are the most valuable finds with most everything else being junk but stuff happens.

I like the show but....

Repeat after me.

REALITY TV AIN'T ALWAYS REAL. ;)

Hi Royal,

Thanks for mentioning that.

Hubby was an electrician. Many times, he was there on a gut job where "treasures were trashed." He brought some home. One real cutie was an oak medical cabinet with a marble and beveled glass hinged top. It came with all manner of glass and metal thingies and vials. Also, the 1929 instruction booklet was included. It had been in a leaky basement and was covered with green sludge. He brought it home, hosed it off and I refinished the oak and cleaned it up. It's a cute little accessory to our pool room now. There were also many old lighting fixtures...

Regards,

Allie

There's always a possibility his story is real. A friend of mine does cleanouts on houses repossessed by a bank. He is allowed to keep anything he finds. He has found guns, gold coins, a Corvair Monza Spider in a garage and a number of other items. The Monza and the gold coins are the most valuable finds with most everything else being junk but stuff happens.

A friend of mine gave me a militia sword that was found in the wall of a Boston house when it was torn down in the 60s.

Ya just never know.

A colleague of mine's Mother passed away. When they started removing furniture a near mint Remington 1890 police model was found under the mattress. None of the family had a clue it was there. While the show is pretty atypical of how a pawn is run, stuff can happen.

Ya never know what someone will leave behind.

Could be someone passed on. And the rest of the family did not

even know they was there.

but do think a lot of that is brought in just for the show.

They had a sword on there one time that I was interested in buying. Went to their web site which went straight to e-bay. Did a little research and it looks like some of the items on the show may be salted by the producers. Local guitar shops especially seem to have been tapped to bring in merchandise just to get it on air. Continued to research and found this trend can possibly be traced back to the old standard Anitques Roadshow which has been rumored to salt the program with articles brought in from local stores.

Regards, and don't forget, if it ain't real, it ain't real,

Ivery

Guest Tennessee Stud, SASS# 43634 Life

I like the show but....

Repeat after me.

REALITY TV AIN'T ALWAYS REAL. ;)

Utube Bob is right... knowin' you are on camera makes a difference in how ya act. Heck... there was a time when the cameras came on... I tried to cover up my head.

ts

Reality tv is
very far from reality

I have been
on the set of pawn stars several times

There might
be a hint of truth behind the segment

Then cameras,
and action kicks in

If you cannot
enhance a story, then you should not tell a story applies

Camera angles
tell the truth, think about it

When the
whole scene of “live” is played out, camera men would be filming camera men
take the recent biker fight on reality tv, that had to been done with several
different replays, for camera angles

And yet our under
informed tv watchers, take it in, hook line and all three sinkers

I like the show for the periodic history lesson on an item, but it is as staged as staged can be.

Here is a link to someone who picked out a few of the more egregious incidents:

http://centraltendencies.com/2011/03/pawn-stars-is-fake/

one time I was on the set

they had a guy drive from Pennsylvania with two civil war canons

on the set we fired them

then they hit him with

oh golly gee wize

I am not sure they are legal for us to buy

Sorry Charlie

I talked to Charlie on the set, he was devastated, and drove all the way back
with both cannons

Worried
that airing the show might have consequences for him

That is not right

Pawn stars had enough time to do homework, and they probably did

Yet they suckered the guy into the trip, just for one segment of one show

real facts for underinformed tv watchers

Helllloooooo everyone!

Every "reality" show in the world is scripted. Nobody walks into the pawn shop without pre-screening from A&E/History channel.

How's everyone? :)

***Nubbins***

They were at first glance an excellent set of pistols. But the engraving was not factory and engraving was done over dent, dings and hard knocks. They were reblued, and not all numbers matched. A great set of pistols, but not museum quality, and not $100,000 quality either. I think they got thme for $20K.

Why in the world do people take things to pawn shops to sell them and expect top dollar?

Why in the world do people take things to pawn shops to sell them and expect top dollar?

do you really want me to answer that for you Sergeant, I think we both know the answer to your question

:D:D

I found an 1803 Large Cent in a discarded purse. I was really glad because the purse didn't match anything I had.

You never want to be over coordinated. Sometimes a mismatched purse can be an accent point. :lol::P

I just like to see the old stuff.

Except in my mirror. :blink::lol:

Archived