SASS Wire Forum

I have to ask......

Dirty Dan Dawkins

I wish to ask a straight up yes or no question and put some particular folks on the spot. Its as simple as this - I wish to gauge any kind of momentum we may be able to build from within our community in building feet on the ground alliances with our peers from other shooting venues. I also wish to gauge the convictions of our local leadership and, yes, my fellow shooters. Plain and simple. An honest answer is all I ask for. Yes or no won't change my general regard for anyone but I would like to think our club leaders should have considerations beyond SASS that are ultimately far greater and more important than a day of nostalgia, competition and merriment.

I am not in any way trying to stir the pudding. I simply do not feel I am alone in believing SASS members deserve to know how the leadership stands and how far they will go in their capacity as leaders. Furthermore, some of us are still yearning for more in our leadership than them primarily being disseminators of information. Without bold leadership and direction, we are little more than a meandering herd. If the herd can be moved with purpose then I believe you instill a clarity and sense of involvement that encourages even more positive actions. With greater personal, more intimate involvement you can generate excitement and necessary momentum. Anything less and too many of us get bored and depressed. You cannot give a man a hammer, a saw and a book on carpentry and tell him to build a home. You must get a man working first. Get him involved. Teach him and lead by example. Share joy in their successes and wisdom in their defeats. Instill curiosity coupled with a desire to learn more and watch them grow. Charge them with more responsibility and before too long you see real, tangible results and they're on their own teaching and encouraging others.

Enough rambling. My question.

Question:

Would you as a match director cancel a match and organize your club to participate in rallies such as the ones being held nationwide tomorrow?

Would you be willing to do it more than once?

If I were part of the Wild Bunch, intuitively, I would use my influence and promptly call match directors to encourage clubs to participate in 2A rallies, even if it means canceling a match. MD's could then either choose to or not to participate or to simply spread the word. Maybe choose a delegation. I for one did not hear from any MD's or shooting pards about tomorrow or any other rallies. I read it here tonight but not all of us Facebutt or Tweeter or compute. As for SASS GA, is no one interested in representing the cowboy contigency at 2A rallies? There are folks I bet that will not miss a shoot for anything and some in particular I highly doubt would to show their face in protest to protect their very freedom given the opportunity to shoot instead. Ironic isn't it? Maybe I am expecting too much?

If The Wild Bunch is not willing to make a simple call of encouragement, the threat must not be that serious or they are lazily delegating things away or they too are hoping for a leader to emerge. And maybe the Wild Bunch is calling, but if so, it must be ending right there. Our opponents ability to mobilize is downright amazing at times. Why can't we?

Col. Dan, This is no slight against you or Tex or anybody. Just something weighing on my mind for a while.

Dirty Dan, Thank you for bringing this important topic to the forum.

Over the years your question is one that’s been asked by many “on our side” including me. Interest in preserving the Constitution and personally taking action to get involved is required of all Americans if we seriously seek to preserve, protect and defend—a war is not won in a single battle or at a single level. We must all do what we can at the level where we can be most effective.

This particular war to preserve the Second Amendment is no different in that it must be waged on multiple levels and on multiple fronts. What one person, one group or one organization can do won’t answer the needs at every level. We must all be involved and the effort, as I see it, must be coordinated somewhere and in some forum else we risk being just as you described, as have I, a herd of cats.

As in any war, this one included, the most critical elements to success are information, involvement at the critical time and place, coordinated action, persistence and resolve.

Team SASS, was meant to address the information war as well as provide a forum by which that information could be exchanged, disseminated and turned into effective action. The definition of effective action being that we as Americans show persistence and resolve in saying NO to those who seek to disarm us and do so in multiple ways at multiple levels.

I invite you to review several posts on the Team SASS forum. The Wild Bunch and I are executing the fight on multiple levels and multiple fronts. The posts I reference are Tex’s original post wherein he states the purpose and how we will disseminate information and address calls for action. My posts on the Concept of our Operation, Team SASS Call for Action, “Information must be turned into Action”, Liberty Links, the Activity Report as well as the posts on various actions at the state and local levels.

The Wild Bunch and I are focused on the national level by working with national gun organizations and manufacturers and using our Team SASS forum to help fill the need for information. I can assure you the WIld Bunch have been and continue working at their level to fight this battle. As the SASS lead for this effort, my goal is to work closely with our allies at the national level urging a more coordinated and combined effort among all these disparate groups and to provide the forum by which Team SASS can be kept informed. Our members must take that information and turn it into action at their level…be that state or local. I have on many occasions via my column and this forum called for and encouraged our membership to get personally involved at the level wherein they can be most effective. My February column attempts to answer the basis of your question of “What Can I Do?” This requires initiative, commitment and leadership at various levels not just from the top level of SASS HQs. While we can inform, encourage and act at our level, it is the combined “you” and “we” that turns We the People into an effective fighting force at every level.

I agree with you that it’s amazing how the other side can whip up a crowd at the drop of a hat while our side seems to find this very difficult…ergo my goal of working in a coordinated way with gun organizations that have the wherewithal of reaching millions of gun owners all across the nation. I also totally agree with you in that SASS Match Directors and Regional Directors have a superb forum to lead their respective groups in a coordinated way with other shooting disciplines into the fray at their level, in their sector and absolutely should.

There have been many actions already in this fight at the national, state and local levels led by numerous dedicated patriots and there will be many more but it takes you and your gun owning colleagues to make those numbers happen. We can plan, organize, encourage and lead but if the people aren’t ready to actively follow and join in at the designated place and time, then our efforts will be futile.

What can you and your friends do? Personally participate, get others within your sphere of influence to join in and be a leader at your level—we need you as we need all patriots who are ready, willing and able to do what they can in their sector of the battlefield. I pledge to you and all of SASS that I’ll work my sector and provide the leadership where I can if you’ll do the same where you can.

Soldier on…

I do not question your resolve sir, Thanks for the reply.

I worked today but reports said Atlanta had a couple hundred today.

Here's a plan to bounce off of ya.

I call it the Patriot flash mob. Please hear me out.

This idea has been in my head for near about two-three years.

The plan:

An organization of patriots reenacting historical figues in costuming reciting documents or speeches from American history in public venues at the community level.

A flash mob approach will be used to make for a peaceful spontaneous event that disperses as quickly as it began.

Resources such as Constant Contact can be implemented to text and/or email in short notice instructing "minutemen" to converge at a public forum at a given time. Groups could include the VFW, LEOs, churches, Boy Scouts etc.

I do not expect to be void of resistance and no matter how spontaneous, word always leaks, but when faced with resistance we must soldier on.

The goal is keep things spontaneous in order to educate and engage a general public that would otherwise disregard and avoid our message and our gatherings. Specifically, we must go into hostile areas and deliver our message. We can't rely on public education giving an accurate account of history much less a sincere curiosity in facts.

Secondly. I find the goal to be to help draw a divided America together.

What is our message?

History and freedom.

At times ignoring protocol such as permitting will be the course of action. I would be willing to take responsibility for orchestrating such events. Fine me if you must, your honor. Each event should be limited to a relatively short duration and I hope that is taken into consideration.

I am a rediculously busy person. I have college courses to take and Japanese to learn. I have no clue how to organize things of such a nature. I have a poor speaking voice but I know each community has a great deal of talented patriots and I do believe in my idea.

Your thoughts kind sir?

Guest Dash Caliber

I love that idea....In your very area is the sheriffs new gun law proposal...just a week away...held in the town...under another more sympathetic LEO area... We need to talk about that...The man has a point...ALL politics are local.

This can be fun, but the message has to get through... A flash appearance that is peaceable has lots of merit. I have a couple of suggestions…

1) I would drop the “reenacting / costuming”. It can be appreciated here, but we are few in number and don’t generally mind calling attention to ourselves. Otherwise, I believe it would detract from the messages. Plus, the media would portray participants as ranting kooks or clowns. My evidence is the typical “presidents day” advertisements you can see on TV where is quite common to do just this.

2) While our historical documents are sacred to us, you must remember who it is you plan to convince or sway. I would not read the historical documents, except for a few well chosen versus which need to be told and retold until it sticks. The long winded readings of text from a dead guy are not likely to not be heard. Unfortunately, nobody in modern times can identify with or may associate with foolish commercials.

Make it real for people in that area. It may be better to have the meaning of these texts read out by local people that the silent voters can identify with. It would also help if real people with real stories are invited to speak out, if they can/will. You may also find that these people will be easier to solicit if no costumes are involved. Have connectivity to facebook, twitter, youtube, the little black scan squares available. With these links, you will have to stay disconnected from pro gun web sites like the NRA and GOA. This will turn many people off from the message as organizations like this can be easily dismissed.

This can be fun, but the message has to get through... A flash appearance that is peaceable has lots of merit. I have a couple of suggestions…

1) I would drop the “reenacting / costuming”. It can be appreciated here, but we are few in number and don’t generally mind calling attention to ourselves. Otherwise, I believe it would detract from the messages. Plus, the media would portray participants as ranting kooks or clowns. My evidence is the typical “presidents day” advertisements you can see on TV where is quite common to do just this.

2) While our historical documents are sacred to us, you must remember who it is you plan to convince or sway. I would not read the historical documents, except for a few well chosen versus which need to be told and retold until it sticks. The long winded readings of text from a dead guy are not likely to not be heard. Unfortunately, nobody in modern times can identify with or may associate with foolish commercials.

Make it real for people in that area. It may be better to have the meaning of these texts read out by local people that the silent voters can identify with. It would also help if real people with real stories are invited to speak out, if they can/will. You may also find that these people will be easier to solicit if no costumes are involved. Have connectivity to facebook, twitter, youtube, the little black scan squares available. With these links, you will have to stay disconnected from pro gun web sites like the NRA and GOA. This will turn many people off from the message as organizations like this can be easily dismissed.

Received and noted. I have to agree with your points. This would have to engage people but not be a freak show in peoples mind to turn folks off. The whole goal is to start a dialogue and stir curiosity. Please elaborate on your last two sentences.

I love that idea....In your very area is the sheriffs new gun law proposal...just a week away...held in the town...under another more sympathetic LEO area... We need to talk about that...The man has a point...ALL politics are local.

Yes, grassroots movement. Our political rivals know this and have worked against us in all aspects of our lives. At one time they were a small minority. In the span of a century we have seen government and commerce directed in a path of building an over-bloated machine only working to centralize power to a political elite while working to progressively shackle the rights of American citizens and employers alike. This force has worked against us on so many levels to re-write history as well as to redefine the duties, goals, expectations, liabilities, roles and responsibilities of all Americans, while giving government free-reign with little to no accountability. It may very well take the better part of 100 years to fundamentally transform America back to its core.

I understand all this talk may be a bit of a turnoff. I understand my views extend well past the second amendment and with that I understand I push in directions contrary to the rules of this forum from time to time. I humbly respect the moderators decision to scrap this thread or any comments I make. Henceforth, I will do my best to refrain from straying from the rules of this forum.

Dash, sounds great! I now have two SASS members on board, one eager to do lunch and hammer out plans and start a fight. We'll work this out soon when I can fit this in with my quest for global domination. I am saving up for a volcanic island with hollowed out secret lair (inside joke folks).

I offer one last observation:

While I greatly appreciate and respect Col Dan's reply, no MD/TG or member have answered my original question if they would organize a club to cancel a match in favor to publicly protest or petition for our rights or to do so on an off match day for that matter. It still remains unclear if the Wild Bunch is making efforts to personally call and engage MD's and TG's to organize in the participation of public demonstrations. If folks think I'm not entitled to an answer, I'm cool with that. All this may seem to be unproductive and folks may see no good will come from it. As a SASS member, I am simply trying to influence the MD's/TG's/Wild Bunch's decision making and thought process.

Maybe I just need to call Tex or my local TG's/MD's this week and ask.................

" Have connectivity to facebook, twitter, youtube, the little black scan squares available. With these links, you will have to stay disconnected from pro gun web sites like the NRA and GOA. This will turn many people off from the message as organizations like this can be easily dismissed."

I am thinking hand outs that people can take with them. These can have web addresses, google search argumants, youtube and facebook search terms and web link. Using the little black boxes (QR codes (for Quick Response)) are basically internet links one can scan with an iphone and be taken to a message or a web site. It enables the younger (with-it) crowd to scan it, grab a message and read it or tweet it around. At any rate, we don't want to send people to an information web site that would be seen as extreemist. Maybe somehting that is youtube by an ordinary person speaking plain language, like the young black guy talking about gun rights. Or a pro civil rights colledge paper on the internet, or selected pages of the FBI crime statistics pages. That sort of thing. The idea would be to give out short easy to digest messages is a way that the audience will appreciate them.

Who is the Pard that makes iphone apps. I don't like soliciting funds, but maybe we can take up a fund to have a program made for free down load with short factoids and a "test of knowledge" for points and prestiege lables (ie call of duty).

Questions like "who is more likely to kill you? A) a guy with an AR15 B) your family doctor

Make if fun. Make it able to tweet and go to the data source link. get some buzz going! Ask for input from fans. Game it!

Archived