SASS Wire Forum

New Mexico House Committee Kills AWB

T. H. O' Sullivan

Good for Rep Alcon for backing down. Har!

President Obama will do it. What ? He didn't do it?? Well I tried. Re-elect me please.

Rep. Alcon is from Milan, NM - a small ranching and farming town in NW New Mexico. These are the type of voters who keep and use guns. He said he was for the ban but wanted the matter handled at the federal level. This is an unprincipled, fence-sitting position. However, I don't really care. The bill is dead this session. Politics is mostly unprincipled business anyway.

Rep. Alcon is from Milan, NM - a small ranching and farming town in NW New Mexico. These are they the type of voters who keep and use guns. He said he was for the ban but wanted the matter handled at the federal level. This is an unprincipled, fence-sitting position. However, I don't really care. The bill is dead this session. Politics is mostly unprincipled business anyway.

He knew he was toast if he voted for it so he dumped it in DCs lap.

Sleazy.

This is great news. Now we need to keep HB77 from getting to Gov. Martinez. It has been said that she would sign it.

El Mulo, I think Susana Martinez will sign HB77, if it arrives on her desk unchanged. It only restricts sales without background checks within a gun show building. Most contacts will be made inside, and the transaction will take place outside. It has no effect on any other private sales. It's feel good, eye wash legislation.

Hombre, you're up in San Juan County, New Mexico, with more guns per square mile than any other place in the State. Your Sheriff, Ken Christensen is one fine man. Met him in Santa Fe recently. I am involved in New Mexico politics, but I won't discuss that here.

THO: I am not inclined to like/accept legislation that is "feel good" for any reason. It is these first steps that lead to more and more. Yes, Ken Christensen is a standup man. Him and the other near 30 other NM Sherrifs that took their oath to protect the 2nd Ammendment. He was on FOX with Arripio from AZ a while back. He was at a Four Corners Defenders of Freedom rally a few weeks ago here in Farmington. Good to have some info about New Mexico here.

HOUSE ADVANCES WATERED-DOWN VERSION OF HB 77

Contact your State Senators in opposition to this measure!

While HB 77, introduced by Rep. Miguel Garcia (D-ABQ), has undergone significant revisions over the last several weeks, NRA-ILA still opposes this measure. The House-approved version of HB 77 requires organizers or promoters of gun shows in New Mexico to provide the services of an FFL to process background checks for private firearm transfers, which would now be required at these events (except if the transfer is to a New Mexico concealed handgun licensee). It provides protection for immunity from liability to the transferor and the FFL for complying with this requirement. It also requires mental health records that would disqualify someone from being able to purchase or possess firearms to be reported to the FBI for inclusion in the National Instant Check System and establishes for restoration of rights if the disqualifying condition is removed.

You can view the different versions of HB 77 at http://www.nmlegis.gov/lcs/_session.aspx?Chamber=H&LegType=B&LegNo=77&year=13

Please contact your State Senators and urge them to OPPOSE HB 77 – contact information for Senators can be found at http://www.nmlegis.gov/lcs/legislatorsearch.aspx. The measure has been referred to the Senate Public Affairs Committee and the Senate Judiciary Committee. We will notify you when it has been scheduled for a public hearing. Here are some points to consider when contacting your lawmakers in opposition to HB 77:

• This is the first step towards criminalizing ALL private firearms transfers; in fact, the introduced-version of HB 77 did just that.

• FFLs and the National Instant Check System are governed by federal laws and regulations. Congress is considering possible changes to how both operate, particularly when it comes to private transfers; passage of HB 77 could ultimately put New Mexico in conflict with federal statutes and rules.

• When FFLs facilitate gun transfers for third parties, they must take legal possession of the firearm involved. That means it becomes part of their inventory and all federal laws which apply to dealers now apply to this previously privately-owned firearm. If the background check on the purchaser results in a “deny” response from FBI/NICS, the FFL cannot just give the firearm back to the seller – he must then conduct a background check on the seller before he can transfer the firearm back to its original owner. If the background check on the purchaser results in a “delay” response from FBI/NICS, the firearm remains with the FFL until the issue is resolved. FBI has three business days to get a final response to the FFL or the transfer can proceed; of course, most gun shows are held over weekends, so these sales would be in limbo until well into the following week. One FFL in Albuquerque estimated that up to 20% of the responses he receives from FBI on weekends are “delay”s.

• There is no cap on fees FFLs may charge for their services at gun shows. FFLs currently charge as much as $50 for this service at their storefronts. This additional cost-per-sale will discourage private collectors, non-FFL vendors and attendees from participating in such events.

• The City of Clovis projects a $350,000-$400,000 loss in revenue if HB 77 passes, based on estimates from the local Lions Club and Chamber of Commerce. In a letter to House committee members, city leaders observed that “many attendees from Texas and New Mexico would no longer attend [two local Lions Club gun shows per year] or pay up to $50 for an FFL transfer fee, when they can simply drive 8 miles to Texas and legally transfer or purchase firearms without the expense or inconvenience.” They added, “Passage of legislation that causes the sale and transfer of firearms to become more burdensome and cumbersome on individuals and families in New Mexico, while surrounding states have less stringent laws, will be ineffective and yet another blow to New Mexico’s economy.”

• Bureau of Justice Statistics survey of state prison inmates who had used or possessed firearms in the course of their crimes found that 79 percent acquired their firearms from “street/illegal sources” or “friends or family.” This includes theft of firearms, black market purchases of stolen firearms, and straw purchases. Only 1.7 percent obtained firearms from anyone (dealer or non-dealer) at a gun show or flea market. Despite seven more years’ experience with NICS, a similar 2004 survey, analyzed by some of the leading academic supporters of restrictive gun control, produced nearly identical results.

• In a letter to House committee members, the owners of Silver Spur Trade Shows – which hosts between 5-10 gun shows a year in New Mexico – stated, “We normally employ at least 3 state police officers to provide security at our large shows, at least 1 in our smaller shows, both during the event and overnight. Our shows are also attended by a great number of police officers, who are interested in our sporting industry or purchasing the latest advances of equipment for their job. With the high visibility of law enforcement officers at gun shows, criminals do not buy firearms at or attend them. No federal, state or local police have notified our company that criminals are purchasing firearms at gun shows in general, or our shows in particular.”

El Mulo, I agree that such legislation is only a first step to additional freedom losses. We live in a Blue State with a Conservative Governor. I guess we will see what happens. I suspect Susana Martinez is being looked at for higher office, and she has the opportunity now to differentiate herself as a Conservative, or one who is willing to compromise with the other side. We shall see.

Archived