SASS Wire Forum

Vets receive letter from VA Prohibiting Ownership or Purchase of Firearms

Brother King, SASS #69031

Ive been going to our local VA since 1999 and I have NEVER been asked anything concerning firearms! Also I have NEVER received any sort of communcation from the VA concerning firearms!

I think the Drudge Report needs to reserch this just a little more.

Just my not so humble opinion.....

Tascosa

PS Our local VA facility here in Amarillo is one of the best! I have never waited longer than 20 minutes to see my doctor or a nurse.

I have no complaints about the service I receive there.

Pay attention to the wording. "If you are found incompetent", as in mentally incompetent -- this is a good thing.

DAV Okie

The Devil, as they say, is in the details. Would PTSD make you mentally incompetent? How about being depressed because you can't find a job?

And "found incompetent" by whom? A court? A single doctor?

I'm a DAV also service connected and have never received such a letter. As Okie noted this is for those "found incompetent". I know a DAV service connected that NO WAY should be any where near a firearm. He is not listed in the data base and this will get him listed. His wife does not allow any firearms in the home or him near one. When his head is on OK, he is the first to say no guns in his house. Wonder how many there are in this country, DAV's, that should not be near a firearm and this will get them into the system. As usual, if used properly would be something good. Just IMHO.

The Devil, as they say, is in the details. Would PTSD make you mentally incompetent? How about being depressed because you can't find a job?

And "found incompetent" by whom? A court? A single doctor?

In the civilian world, a family would bring their family member in, concerned over their mental health. I would do a quick competency exam, then refer them to a psychiatrist if needed. If the psychiatrist found them incompetent, then it required a judge to give power of attorney to the family. It is not a simple process, and it can be appealed at various stages.

The Devil, as they say, is in the details. Would PTSD make you mentally incompetent? Not necessarily. There are degrees of severity. like with any mental condition. How about being depressed because you can't find a job? Again, there are levels of depression. You can be depressed because your team lost or your raise didn't get approved, or you read the newspapers too much. Normal. But clinical depression so sever that suicide might be a real possibility is a different matter.

And "found incompetent" by whom? A court? A single doctor? As Okie said "in the civilian world". But with the VA....who knows for sure?

Before anyone gets too excited about this you might want to read ATF Form 4473

Notices, exceptions and definitions for item 11f. There are 3 paragraphs one talks about the VA.

The definitions are the last 3 pages of this 6 page form.

Yes that infamous question.

11f. Have you ever been adjudicated mentally defective

Archived