SASS Wire Forum

MA - Gun Owners Defeat Local Gun Ban

Loophole LaRue, SASS #51438

The Town of Westford, MA is about 40 miles west of Boston; it is a mix of affluent suburbs and some rural properties.

A member of the Board of Selectmen, in apparent reaction to the Sandy Hook shootings, proposed a ban on "assault weapons" and "large capacity magazines" (despite the fact that MA still has the equivalent of the Clinton Ban, as well as a 10 round limit on new magazines).

The audience at the meeting to consider the proposal was so large it had to moved to a school auditorium - and largely because local gun clubs and gun shops strongly urged public participation.

If you can motivate folks to turn out at public hearings, you CAN stop this nonsense.

http://www.myfoxboston.com/story/21291888/2013/02/20/westford-officials-vote-down-assault-weapon-ban

Of course, that still leaves us with the behind-closed-doors nonsense....

LL

Guest Texas Jack Black

Do not think this was a win caused by local gun owners The bill was dropped when the town fathers were advised by counsel that their proposal ran afoul of state and federal laws.

TJB:

I've read all the local press, and talked with a few folks who were involved, and haven't seen any mention of the Selectman making a decision to withdraw this article based upon advice of counsel. If so, the timing of the decision was mighty coincidental, given the presence of the huge crowd at the meeting.

Either way, they pulled it; and whether the message was delivered by counsel or by the crowd (or both) it's a good result.

LL

Guest Texas Jack Black

Yes, it was a great result yet when the dust settled the result was due to the Law not by gun ownersbeing present. So I look at this as the law at work .We gun owners are under attack by the states and that is going to be a problem .The Blue states will impose their restrictive laws and the red states will talk about it .but do little.

Stay safe .I do love Southern NH

Yes, it was a great result yet when the dust settled the result was due to the Law not by gun ownersbeing present. So I look at this as the law at work .We gun owners are under attack by the states and that is going to be a problem .The Blue states will impose their restrictive laws and the red states will talk about it .but do little.

Stay safe .I do love Southern NH

I didn't see you at the Justice and Public Safety gun bill hearings in Concord, NH yesterday fighting the anti-gun "liberals" from Massachusetts that have inundated our state which has turned it from a "red state" to a "blue state".

Lets keep the discussion to the point of information sharing, discussion, and sugegstions. I suggest if anyone has an issue with another poster they use PMs or emails. As Col Dan says, we don't want the forum to deteriorate to the old Political Fire. This goes for me too. I have already had to bite my tongue several times. ;)

Lets keep the discussion to the point of information sharing, discussion, and sugegstions. I suggest if anyone has an issue with another poster they use PMs or emails. As Col Dan says, we don't want the forum to deteriorate to the old Political Fire. This goes for me too. I have already had to bite my tongue several times. ;)

Just don't swallow it.

Archived