SASS Wire Forum

So - Winter Range!

Too Tall Bob

Hey Lumpy!

I stole this from Himself on FB. You really should join us there.

487988_501221013252531_603025792_n.jpg

My eyes! Oh my....poor eyes

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

had a great time at Wr, but I guess I don't understand rank vs. time how can someone with a stage dq getting 999.99 sec. beat a guy who finished with a time in the 490s, this is the first match I have shot with rank points and I have no dog in this fight since all FCD that beat me did it by both rank and time, this old country boy just doesn't understand rank points.

Rafe

had a great time at Wr, but I guess I don't understand rank vs. time how can someone with a stage dq getting 999.99 sec. beat a guy who finished with a time in the 490s, this is the first match I have shot with rank points and I have no dog in this fight since all FCD that beat me did it by both rank and time, this old country boy just doesn't understand rank points.

Rafe

And they are off!

BTW, agree with ya (and I understand the reasons some support rank pts), but stand by for the ensuing discussion....

My eyes! Oh my....poor eyes

Ima Schofield :wub: sez to tell PS she is going to 'French-Braid' that 'hair'.

She also said somedangthing about pink bows too. :o

Me, I be need'n some eye-bleach.......... :lol::P

L(still in shock)G

Well,

In total tine scoring a SDQ is not 999.99. It is the total required shots X 5 sec. + 30 sec. So, a 10 - 10 - 4 stage with a SDQ would be 24 X 5 = 120 + 30 = 150 sec.

Hasta Luego, Keystone

Ima Schofield :wub: sez to tell PS she is going to 'French-Braid' that 'hair'.

She also said somedangthing about pink bows too. :o

Me, I be need'n some eye-bleach.......... :lol::P

L(still in shock)G

If I ever let my hair grow again I might just take her up on the braids or bow. There was a stage I couldn't figure out why my rifle was slipping off my shoulder. Turns out the hair got between the buttstock and my shoulder.

Philly, good to finally meet you, maybe next time we'll be on the same posse, That would be a real hoot.

Larsen, thanks for all your work and that of the rest of the folks, I tried to thanks folks as I saw them, but I'm sure I thanked only a small portion of them.

I do have a question, in the overall scores, I don't see any MDQs which I find hard to believe. I'd kinda like to know if there were any MDQs in my category (Cowboy)

If I ever let my hair grow again I might just take her up on the braids or bow. There was a stage I couldn't figure out why my rifle was slipping off my shoulder. Turns out the hair got between the buttstock and my shoulder.

Just bring more ce-gars and Wiskey in May?

:ph34r:

LG

Rafe

Hey Rafe, I AM with you...and over the years that I have been involved it has been debated ad nauseum. I figure ours is not to wonder why, ours is but to do or die, I shoot whatever they put in front of me however they want to score it.

Hey Rafe, I AM with you...and over the years that I have been involved it has been debated ad nauseum. I figure ours is not to wonder why, ours is but to do or die, I shoot whatever they put in front of me however they want to score it.

Note to self: NEVER stand in front of Mad Dog Jack. :o

Well there pards:

This ole pard still don't believe in having rank points which need to be placed on the burners and exited away from our cowboy action shooting. This has been talked about, complained about and so on and on for a long time.

I sure as heck don't like the way it is and what can we do about it????????????????? That's something that the folks who discuss all the rules and such need to get with it. It's like no body gives a darn. Talk, Talk, Talk!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

By gosh if you enter a Cowboy Action Match and finish all stages then what your time and score is that's it speed and accuracy the name of the game. We don't need those stupid ranking points.

See you on the range pilgrims.

Jackrabbit Joe #414.

Well there pards:

This ole pard still don't believe in having rank points which need to be placed on the burners and exited away from our cowboy action shooting. This has been talked about, complained about and so on and on for a long time.

I sure as heck don't like the way it is and what can we do about it????????????????? That's something that the folks who discuss all the rules and such need to get with it. It's like no body gives a darn. Talk, Talk, Talk!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

By gosh if you enter a Cowboy Action Match and finish all stages then what your time and score is that's it speed and accuracy the name of the game. We don't need those stupid ranking points.

See you on the range pilgrims.

Jackrabbit Joe #414.

Hi Joe,

Many of us "give a darn." The Wild Bunch will not allow it on the TG Agenda. Badlands Bud wrote up a proposal with good reasons to junk RP for Total Time. The WB would not allow it to be heard.

Y'all can say all you want. However, you are wasting your time unless you can convince the WB.

If the regular attendees to EOT and WR wrote the WB they were not going to attend until the change was made, it is possible the WB will "listen." I don't see that happening or using RP hurting WR or EOT.

Regards,

Allie Mo

I didn't mean to stir a hornets nest, I just don't understand rank points, not why they are used, just don't understand the whole thing about how are they used? are they used just for your class for the whole match etc.. with all the different shooting styles and ages and things how can they be compared to each other. help me understand!

Rafe

Well there pards:

This ole pard still don't believe in having rank points which need

to be placed on the burners and exited away from our cowboy action

shooting. This has been talked about, complained about and so on and on

for a long time.

Jackrabbit Joe #414.

Hmm,the shoe can be put on the other foot, amigo...

THIS ole pard still don't believe in having RAW TIME which needs

to be placed on the burners and exited away from our cowboy action

shooting. This has been talked about, complained about and so on and on

for a long time.

Really, neither is an accurate way to measure disparate stages like we shoot, so I really don't care.

As said above, I'll shoot whatever is put in front of me, and won't ever let the type of scoring decide if I am going to attned a match.

I didn't mean to stir a hornets nest, I just don't understand rank points, not why they are used, just don't understand the whole thing about how are they used? are they used just for your class for the whole match etc.. with all the different shooting styles and ages and things how can they be compared to each other. help me understand!

Rafe

Ask my pard, Jess Ducky, who lost the Senior Gunfighter by about one second to Lassiter timewise, but won by 20 rank points. I don't think he wants to get rid of rank points. :) Good going, Duck.

Well, that depends on Duck's opinion.

I'd suspect that if he favored TT, he'd admit it while also acknowledging that he chose to enter a rank points match (for whatever reason), played by it's rules, and won. Kudos, plaudits and congratulations to his well earned win under the rules he CHOSE to play by!!! I applaud that!

I'm not fast enough to be competitive, and rank points haven't made me NOT chose to go to WR or EOT, but their required use has made me a lot less enthusiastic about making it a priority to save vacation time, work conflicts, time and money to attend.

I would like to go for all the great reasons many have posted here, and someday likely will, but it is a negative factor for me to put my personal "sanction" on the use of an unfair scoring method, IMHO. If it were a TT match, I'd probably have figured out how to go by now. Maybe when I am retired.

I know many disagree - that's fine, the rules are the rules and we all make our choices for our own reasons.

Harvey

So if you finish 200 overall on a stage and someone else gets a stage DQ he only gets 150 rank points! So you got beat on that stage even though the other shooter was disqualified! Makes since to me @#$%&

No sir, you mis-read. The 150 number is the number of SECONDS a SDQ for a typical 10-10-4 stage adds to a shooter's score in a TT match. Has nothing to do with a rank points match.

The pard that got beat by the shooter with the SDQ apparently was beat by that same shooter in at least a majority of the other 11 stages if not all of them. Yes it really does make perfect sense. One train wreck in an RP match does not put you completely out of the running like a TT match.

I'd suspect that if he favored TT, he'd admit it while also acknowledging that he chose to enter a rank points match (for whatever reason), played by it's rules, and won. Kudos, plaudits and congratulations to his well earned win under the rules he CHOSE to play by!!! I applaud that!

I'm not fast enough to be competitive, and rank points haven't made me NOT chose to go to WR or EOT, but their required use has made me a lot less enthusiastic about making it a priority to save vacation time, work conflicts, time and money to attend.

I would like to go for all the great reasons many have posted here, and someday likely will, but it is a negative factor for me to put my personal "sanction" on the use of an unfair scoring method, IMHO. If it were a TT match, I'd probably have figured out how to go by now. Maybe when I am retired.

I know many disagree - that's fine, the rules are the rules and we all make our choices for our own reasons.

Harvey

Actually his home club, RUCAS, uses rank points at their monthly matches. We use TT. We shoot at each others clubs. I can see the benefits of both, although I prefer TT. As far as disagreeing, come on Harvey, this is the Wire. This is what we do. :lol::P

Perhaps an explanation of "rank points" might help for those of us who do not understand the concept. Just my 2 cents.....

Perhaps an explanation of "rank points" might help for those of us who do not understand the concept. Just my 2 cents.....

Keeping it to simple facts, a TT match is simply your time for each stage added. If you get a stage DQ, you earn 150 seconds. There is a formula, but we do the KISS principle, and we leave it at 150 seconds.

In a rank points match, you earn points based on how fast you shoot a stage. If you are the fastest, you get one point. In a 300 person match, the slowest person gets 300 for the stage. The person with the lowest rank points at the end of the match wins. A SDQ is 999 seconds, which effectively puts you at number 300 for that stage. So as an example, Deuce is fastest on 11 stages, then gets a SDQ for the 12th stage. He'll end up with 311 rank points. If he had done that at WR this year, he would still have finished in sixth place, so in rank points, a SDQ does not hurt as much.

The same scenario, with a 150 sec. SDQ would take him down to 12th place, and out of 'the money' so to speak.

Edit -- I'm talking about his category, Cowboy.

Age old debate.

How a match is scored doesn't matter that much to me, but total time seems like the purest method to me, but I do understand some of the points those who favor rank points mention.

What annoys me is that rank points for all shooters in the match effect category placement. If you want to use them for match overall placement, fine by me, but you should use either TT or category rank points for category placement. Yes, this does create anomalies where someone could place higher than another in the overall, but lower in the category. But that is already true between RP and TT.

Harvey

This X100 :excl:

So WB will not even hear the other side huh? :angry: How lame :excl::excl:

That just means they think like Congress does.............Hear no evil, etc. <_<

Allie, sure do like your idea :excl:

LG

Archived