SASS Wire Forum

So - Winter Range!

Too Tall Bob

WOW -----great day.............had to wait to start but ran smooth and was on a great posse..............had a 2 pm start.........dry ground all the way on shooters course

tomorrow start at 11 and temp is supposed to be 64..........great stages.........

rock n' roll boys and girls..........seen lots of old friends and some new ones.............

ok - ok ......was clean with the dreded "p".......dang old age thing anyway.......... :wacko: all stages between 34 & 30........ran stage 5-6-7-8......lots of choices on stages...most were round count on target -

like: 4 R/P targets angling away from you going short to tall............instructions - 2shots on 1 target, 4shots on 1 target, 6shots on 1 target, 8shots on 1 target........any order..... so I shot Rifle w/ 6 on back target..........4 on next target in.......safed rifle....drew 1st pistol and put 2 on next target in........and 8 pistol on the closest target............whew.....glad I remembered it.........so ya had to think some...........

anywho.......ya'll have a great night..........regards Wolf

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Shot the 2:00 flight today, dry somewhat warm, fun time. Temps to get warmer each day with temps around 70+ on Saturday!

Tb

like: 4 R/P targets angling away from you going short to tall............instructions - 2shots on 1 target, 4shots on 1 target, 6shots on 1 target, 8shots on 1 target........any order..... so I shot Rifle w/ 6 on back target..........4 on next target in.......safed rifle....drew 1st pistol and put 2 on next target in........and 8 pistol on the closest target............whew.....glad I remembered it.........so ya had to think some...........

anywho.......ya'll have a great night..........regards Wolf

See, I knew you were my hero, that's the same count I used. (Except I started from the front with pistols)

Gamers!

I did similar, but different as my pea brain had to keep things linier, 2 back, then four then six then 8 on the front.

Shooting like twelve year old meadow muffins, but having fun. I think I have last place cowboy in the bag. Don't tell Deuce and Cobra Cat though, I told them I was nipping at their heels!

Check out stages from last four years on WR web site. I am sure this years stages will be posted shortly. If they were not great, I would think it would be hard to get 800 main match shooters, plus mounted shooters, and WB shooters. You will have to determine if WR is worth the price. Since they sold out again it must be worth it to many shooters, from 46 states and many countries around the world.

Great stages, like the worth of going to any shoot and beauty, is in the eye of the beholder. The 8 stages I have shot so far have had a good mix of mentally challenging and "normal" stages as well as a good mix of movement. Hey, if it's not worth it for you to shoot at the National Championship, well to bad for you. You need to be the judge of what great stages are here and you won't know unless you go will you?

Wow, talk about AZ weather/ This morning was chilly. Almost set fire to my gun cart, then the sun came over the berms, the breeze died and the temps warmed up. Clear blue skies, chilly (to me) in the shade but plenty comfy in the sun. Shot stages 9-12. First day I got a little time to 'wander'. Vendors aplenty. Taylor's has this nifty 1887, short barrel pistol grip. Proper length to be sold as a normal shotgun but that was one sweet gauge!! Went back later...gone. Just my luck!! Slick McClade had a booth, among his most excellent products I finally got a look at his sure hit sight for SAA's/Rugers. Way cool!!! Mernickle has their most excellent wares as do Kirkpatrick and many others.Needless to say, there were way more vendors than I had money for! Lots of tourists, so far have met up with some old friends and made quite a few new ones! Target distances and stages continue to be close to moderate with plenty of latitude for the shooter to do their thing. Extremely inventive without being constricting EXCELLENT stages. Range is mostly dry, couple of wet spots but you'd never knowed it snowed. The dry granite I 'skied' in on Monday on my way to position three on Stage 11 of the WB match (The box stopped my forward movement but I almost turned myself over...) was a little gushy, at least it was for our posse. (Same box, same spot but somebody took the dang dueling tree....GOOD! ) The Rangers did what they could to firm things up but I'm afraid I left some pretty deep footprints in the gush. Apologies to anyone tomorrow, when the dirt hardens manages to git a shoe stuck sideways in one of my #14 footprints...sorry. Gave 'plant & shoot' new meaning... :P:D:lol:

See, I knew you were my hero, that's the same count I used. (Except I started from the front with pistols)

That was my second stage of match yesterday, second rotation. I wanted to spread the smoke good and not big on big rifle dumps so with first revolver engaged closes target with 3, second target with 2, then with second revolver dumped five on target one, with rifle I then ran a double tab nevada sweep from target two up to target four and back.

All worked great except for having to reshoot a shotgun...sure can ruin a good stage.

You couldn't ask for better weather today, Mid 60's high clouds, gentle breezes. Great stages, no "P" traps, no weather issues. As to vendors, I picked up an 1878 FA Colt, and a S&W double action , both in 44/40. 4 more stages, then home to wait for next year. Best match in the USA.

Great to see/hear y'all are having some fun now! Arizona can pack some really nice shooting weather on you! Have fun for the rest of the event!

Please describe what a 'Great stages." may be that would be worth$100's in expense to see?

Thank you!!

That would be any stages.where I get me renew great friendships and make new ones all while competing for the SASS National Championship

Well the weather was little wet and cold but we made it through Weds, Thurs, Fri so far so good. Got to visit with some old friends and meet quite a few new ones.

The folks that put on Winter Range have done another fantastic event and our thanks go out to them.

Well done Pilgrims! We'll be back again next year.

Jackrabbit and Sly Puppy

That would be any stages.where I get me renew great friendships and make new ones all while competing for the SASS National Championship

I saw you with HAIR! LONG hair! I was frightened! Scared even.

Don't worry Jack...........he said he was trying to look like his hero........... ;)

Allie.........come on up to Utah and we can caravan down next year.....miss you sis......... -_-

Grizz.............glad we got to talk....................regards............Wolf

Well....WR 2013 is now in the books! All over except fer the...whining! Today's weather was FANTASTIC!!! Posse 18, a SUPER BUNCH OF GOOD PARDS ROCKED!!! We shot under a gorgeous beautiful blue Arizona Sky. (There ain't really nothing as blue as an AZ sky. it might be the same patch of sky you see on...wherever but I guaran-dang-tee ya it don't look as PURTY as it does in AZ!!!) Just enough breeze, temps were...perfect. The bottom four stages (which were sorta under water/MOOSHY Thursday were all dried...lumpy. Not too bad, all things considered.Like the rest of the match there was a GREAT mix of close/sorta far big/sorta small targets aith some interesting sequences. Nothing tricky, just good, challenging SUPER stages!! (But that Black Jack Zak is a tricky so-and-so and ya gots ta pay attention!!!)

The wife's scooter almost ran outta juice...but she made it back to the truck...barely...WHEW! The vendors seemed to be doing a good business, not surprising because there were A LOT and there were quite a few people spectating. The nice weather probably helped there. Ben Avery truly is the finest range in the Nation. I've shot there since the 70's and the difference, when I think about it is truly fantastic. So many people worked hard to make this a terrific match! Gonna be hard pressed to top this next year! (Hey, I think I said that LAST year!!! :o

Well my life is now complete, I have seen Philly Slim dressed up like Mongo.

Match was great except my pistols, they kept missing, guess I need to buy some new ones! :D

What you REALLY mean is. :o

Your life will never be the same again, after see'n PS dressed as Mongo :huh: .. Mine sure has NOT(night-sweats,can't sleep etc) :P

Does Sour Kraut still have that 'tracking-collar' on him? :D

LG

Just made a quick trip home to pick up a few things for tomorrow's closing. Other than the freak storm on Wednesday, the weather was beautiful. Today was really nice and I just left the main tent a few minutes ago. About 400 people stayed for the dinner and Sheriff Joe Arpaio got off the stage just before I left for home. In addition to being a world famous lawman, he also does a standup comedy routine. He had everyone rolling in the aisles. What is truly amazing is that everything out on the range will be dismantled right after the closing tomorrow and everything will be stored away by Monday evening. We have a Ranger appreciation dinner Tuesday night and then everyone will relax for a week before we have an after action meeting and start the planning for Winter Range 2014!!!

Hard wind came though last night and really messed up vendor row, have not heard much other then about the call that went out last night about tents being blown away. Lady T was at the range by about 7:00 but I have not heard how bad it really is.

What a great shot of Mongo!!! Looking forward to seeing more pix from this year. I want to thank all that have posted here for giving us updates and sharing some fun from this years Winter Range. I made it 2 years back and am looking at next years event. For those that can't be there it brings back great memories of a Premier event and all the good times shared with the great folks of SASS!!!! Now like many of you I'm waiting to see how y'all did on the Range!!!

Down the Trail

Colt

Hard wind came though last night and really messed up vendor row, have not heard much other then about the call that went out last night about tents being blown away. Lady T was at the range by about 7:00 but I have not heard how bad it really is.

Saw a few pictures on Facebook -- looks pretty rough. Sure hope the vendors did not lose their wares.

Just made a quick trip home to pick up a few things for tomorrow's closing. Other than the freak storm on Wednesday, the weather was beautiful. Today was really nice and I just left the main tent a few minutes ago. About 400 people stayed for the dinner and Sheriff Joe Arpaio got off the stage just before I left for home. In addition to being a world famous lawman, he also does a standup comedy routine. He had everyone rolling in the aisles. What is truly amazing is that everything out on the range will be dismantled right after the closing tomorrow and everything will be stored away by Monday evening. We have a Ranger appreciation dinner Tuesday night and then everyone will relax for a week before we have an after action meeting and start the planning for Winter Range 2014!!!

Larsen and Dan Diamond, who I shot with, and ALL the others put on a fine Winter Range as they have for the last four I participated in.

Yeah, the weather could have cooperated a bit more, especially the wind last night, but the main match weather was sure nice! AND I got to visit with Sheriff Joe, an interesting guy.

Next up: Bayou Blast!

Archived