SASS Wire Forum

Dropping a Loaded Pistol Part 2

Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217

I'm not sure about writing every stage to the ability of the most novice shooter. I think participants should have some basic level of proficiency before they show up for a match. A match isn't the place to learn how to shoot and the stages could be pretty boring if every one of them is written to be suitable for 'the most novice shooter'.

You're right Captain, cowboy shooting should be set-up for just the select few, you know like it is now where the major matches are set-up on Thurs, Fri, Sat.......you know, so real working people cannot compete.........

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You're right Captain, cowboy shooting should be set-up for just the select few, you know like it is now where the major matches are set-up on Thurs, Fri, Sat.......you know, so real working people cannot compete.........

You know Concho, it's possible that I could respectfully disagree with your position. It's also possible that you could respond in a measured way that recognized my right to disagree without exaggeration, or insult. Unfortunately you've chosen a different type of response. I simply stated that I felt shooter's should have some basic level of proficiency before participating in matches. I never said anything about the 'select few' nor did I address scheduling matches on weekdays or 'working' people' of which I'm one participating.

As a high school teacher who's recently been forced to take a second job to make ends meet, a father who's worked with his seven year old to get him to a level where he's ready to participate in matches, and a cowboy who has to pass up many matches because he can't get two weekdays off in a row I find your remarks offensive. Pardon me while I put you on my ignore list with a few other folks who engage their mouths before their brains.

You know Concho, it's possible that I could respectfully disagree with your position. It's also possible that you could respond in a measured way that recognized my right to disagree without exaggeration, or insult. Unfortunately you've chosen a different type of response. I simply stated that I felt shooter's should have some basic level of proficiency before participating in matches. I never said anything about the 'select few' nor did I address scheduling matches on weekdays or 'working' people' of which I'm one participating.

As a high school teacher who's recently been forced to take a second job to make ends meet, a father who's worked with his seven year old to get him to a level where he's ready to participate in matches, and a cowboy who has to pass up many matches because he can't get two weekdays off in a row I find your remarks offensive. Pardon me while I put you on my ignore list with a few other folks who engage their mouths before their brains.

Thanks, you must have yourself on ignore then!

...it's possible that I could respectfully disagree with your position. It's also possible that you could respond in a measured way that recognized my right to disagree without exaggeration, or insult. Unfortunately you've chosen a different type of response. I simply stated that I felt shooter's should have some basic level of proficiency before participating in matches. I never said anything about the 'select few' nor did I address scheduling matches on weekdays or 'working' people' of which I'm one participating.

Cap't. Chill man. We all have our challenges we have to step up to. Some of us have to contend with having too much free time, money and obnoxious opinions... others like myself and you, just our good looks and charm. I'll take the good looks and charm every time.

I think you've got me beat in the charm department pard! We might be tied in terms of looks, although you do have more hair than me. :huh:

I never much cared for folks twisting my words, I tend to be pretty clear with my statements.

Oh well, I'll be off to Cherokee tomorrow and Evil Bob, AKA Badlands Bob, will probably have a couple of stages that aren't written for 'novice' shooters so there's that to look forward to. Last month he had us totin gold dust around, before that it was shootin rats, I hear his nefarious brain has something special planned for tomorrow and I can't wait.

We've already taken both the rockin' horse and the static horse out of scenarios (mounting and dismounting) because that's too strenuous, told folks that walking and chewing gum while carrying a holstered, unloaded gun is unsafe, getting up out of a chair is hazardous, and is clearly unsafe when wearing a gunbelt, can't shoot the rifle last, (it doesn't make enough noise), negotiating steps or stairs is clearly unsafe as most shooters are too frail and unsteady to do that...

Guess we should all just have a "Hoveround™ " with holsters and scabbards for both long guns mounted to it, but deny any movement at all!

We all seem to decry the lack of younger folks in this game... and then biotch to high heaven when asked to do ANYTHING requiring a modicum of coordination! I was 35 when I started playing this game, and everyone was within 10 to 15 years of my age... a few older, wiser folks than that... but I never heard anywhere near the amount of complaints from even folks in their '70s about the athletic nature of some stages. In fact, many of those stages were designed by folks that age!

I couldn't agree more... "Okay folks, today we six sit and deliver stages for you. Yes, we have a cup holder for your drink, and an ashtray for your cigar. Wet wipes are immediately available to clean your hands. Two posse members will fan you so the heat is not oppressive. If you need anything else, please bring it to the attention of our concierge." :rolleyes::rolleyes:

I couldn't agree more... "Okay folks, today we six sit and deliver stages for you. Yes, we have a cup holder for your drink, and an ashtray for your cigar. Wet wipes are immediately available to clean your hands. ;Two posse members will fan you so the heat is not oppressive. If you need anything else, please bring it to the attention of our concierge." :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Wet wipes aren't just for the hands. :D

GG

Hi Folks,

I'm starting a new thread on this one as a MDQ was not given. I want to know what you think.

IIUC, one shooter out of about 200 had this happen and someone, I do not know who, overruled the MDQ.

Shooter is sitting in a wagon with reins in hand and revolvers are staged on the front of the wagon. Shooter drops reins and shoots some targets including a SG KD. Between two guns, shooter is to pull reins to reset the KDs. Shoot the KD again, then another gun. A loaded pistol falls on the floor of the wagon when the shooter pulls the reins.

Everyone involved (TO and spotters) called a MDQ. PM leaves the scene to verify the call. A relatively new shooter comments to me something to the effect, why would he have to verify the call? It was a MDQ to drop a loaded pistol and no one else had that problem. I explained to her that I've seen calls overruled that I was sure were valid. She indicated that was not right.

The PM came back and told the shooter he got a reshoot due to a prop failure. The new shooter indicated that she thought it was wrong.

The shooter was a good sport about the MDQ and did not question it at all. I have no fault with the behavior he exhibited.

IMO some folks bend over too far to ensure a shooter doesn't have negative feelings about a match and that may have led the decision. When I and others were navigating the stage, we took care to ensure that the reins did not cause a problem with our revolvers. I do not believe that this shooter would have had any negative feelings. He knew he caused the situation because he seemed shocked to get a reshoot.

Thanks for any contributions to this thread.

Regards,

Allie Mo

Ooooooooooooo K ...........so what are you asking?

I couldn't agree more... "Okay folks, today we six sit and deliver stages for you. Yes, we have a cup holder for your drink, and an ashtray for your cigar. Wet wipes are immediately available to clean your hands. Two posse members will fan you so the heat is not oppressive. If you need anything else, please bring it to the attention of our concierge." :rolleyes::rolleyes:

+1 I'm 64 and I see it watered down more that it should be, but that is just my own opinion.

Interesting to observe some of those that think their own inflated opinion is "THE truth". :-(

Double tap and miss!

Well were I shoot a dropped gun is a dropped no matter how it happens...if its a loaded gun it a MDQ...I shooter must be responsible for there weapons at all times....Not to mention if our Territorial Governor seen someone try to change that call she would call for a lynching party... :)

Hi Jake,

Nothing. Just tossing it out for comments. "I want to know what you think."

Regards,

Allie Mo

Well Lass .......played a long time .......saw a lot of lets say questionable calls........made some myself in others eyes I am sure .

Pretty much saw same thing that happened here happen another place .........only the guns were on a table ya pulled the reins to start a mover.......shooter pulled the reins so hard he pulled the table over ........2 loaded guns hit the ground ......and it was deemed prop failure

Shooter got a reshoot

No one else had pulled the table over for the first 2/3rds of the day.........but then ...........think this could be maybe why other shooting sports have the opinions they do about CAS

Haven't played those games so don't know how tightly they follow rules.

I would not have given a reshoot on this or expected one had I done this .......which the shooter surely didn't expect from what I read in your OP.......case I was talkin about ,they pitched a fit .

Consequences being taken out of everything anymore seems to be the norm ........well, makin one someone feel good....... can make a whole lot of others feel differently.........but it is just a GAME ;) ............but i surely can't take it serious :o

Hi Jake,

Oh! Temper tantrums are the way to get one's way...Sad state of affairs. :(

This shooter was a gentleman, so I do not begrudge him the reshoot or continuing with the match. I'm just not sure it was the right thing to do as everyone else was careful to ensure it didn't happen to them and dropping a loaded gun is a big deal.

There was quite a large area to place the pistols where the ropes wouldn't be likely to interfere with them. I do think the prop could be redesigned so that the ropes can't interfere with the pistols. That should be done as it was ruled a prop failure.

Regards,

Allie Mo

MIss Allie

The gun didn't hit the ground..............this happened many years ago .......since the gun didn't hit the ground it was just a no call .......and that would be how I would call it from that one incident .............ever after that

If you're referring to the stage on which a shooter dropped a loaded revolver onto a bale, that was a BAD call.

A firearm doesn't have to hit the ground to be considered "dropped".

FWIW...the distance the shooter traveled to attend the match should NOT be taken into consideration, either. <_<

Archived