SASS Wire Forum

1st day of retirement

Trigger Mike

today was my first day not working. I realized I better get some personal business done I had been putting off, and then I began to feel guilty about not working and so I put guns up for sale to make money so I could ease my conscience. My daughter said since I am retired I can do more around the house like fix the water cooler and asked my wife if I was looking for a job yet. My 3 year old said he wanted me to go to work and stay there forever today. I don't think I am going to last. I saw a uy I worked with who retired a few months ago this past weekend and he said retirement was great the first 3 months and then he got bored and got another job.

I don't get this. I was bored with my job, I was mad at them for being so, "you're lucky to work here" like they had been lately, and I hated the commute, yet I feel guilty already about it.

That's the way I felt the first 5-6 years after I retired, but I kept with it and now, almost eleven years later, I'm enjoying my retirement. I did get a job for a year three years after retirement, but found it wasn't the same and "retired" again!

Don't feel guilty - you earned your retirement.

Patience Grasshopper. Took me about a week to get used to it. :lol:

It isn't healthy to quit productive work totally and for good. I became semi-retired in my own business and was that way for 5 years . . . then retired from the business completely and bummed around in my camper for a couple of years just picking up occasional temporary work if I was short of money . . . now have had a gravy job for 6 years that is only 4 months out of the year and gives me 8 months to play "Wild West" . . . and the financing to have more .. . . and more . . . and even more . . . . "toys". . . . . :)

ps. I'm VERY happy . . . . . :):D;)

1st day I was off and running. Haven't had a day off or a vacation day since. That was going on 13 years ago. Never been so busy in my life. Today was out at the kids camp where I volunteer one day a week. At least being retired you have the opportunity to have a flexable schedule. Cleaned guns yesterday from shooting on Saturday where I helped a guy get started in reloading. Tomorrow at the fitness center, church, home ta pick up the wife and go shopping. Then out to eat then to church for the evening. Then home. Thursday may be taking a friend to Casper's in Springfield for some chilli and a guys day out :o My days are most always full. Now, ifen ya wanna be a couch potato, you can be one and be on the couch every day and say ya boored! Ifen ya want an exciting ending times to your life, boy ya sure can have one and enjoy it! Yeee Haaaaw!! :lol:

Oh yea, they pay me NOT TO GO TO WORK!!! :blink:

I retired 6 years ago and have not regretted it one bit. It gave me the chance to try some new things, relite some old passions ((shooting, old cars, photography) and see new country. I have been going nonstop and have never looked back. Retiring allowed me to be close to my grandson and daughter - something that would not have occurred otherwise. I hear of many folks who retire without a plan or goal, that is dangerous. Take a moment, sit down and make some goals that you can pursue - some things that peak your interests and make you think. Include your family and fit them into your inner discussion. You deserve to enjoy your retirement.

My plan is to buy a house on several acres and spend a lot more time with my 4 children and help my wife home school them and raise chickens and a milk cow. I want to spend more time with my sons and work the hyper out of them. we dont close for a couple of weeks so I will be packing until then. I feel better about it today. I just had to get used to it I guess. We are also moving near several churches who meet more often and since I am also a preacher I will likely be busy anyway once we move.

My plan is to buy a house on several acres and spend a lot more time with my 4 children and help my wife home school them and raise chickens and a milk cow. I want to spend more time with my sons and work the hyper out of them. we dont close for a couple of weeks so I will be packing until then. I feel better about it today. I just had to get used to it I guess. We are also moving near several churches who meet more often and since I am also a preacher I will likely be busy anyway once we move.

Mike . . . sounds like a good plan . . . . :)

That long, UB? Thought you might be one a them "quick adaptors". ;):P:D Like Okie Sawbones.

That long, UB? Thought you might be one a them "quick adaptors". ;):P:D Like Okie Sawbones.

It just took a week for me to get used to not getting up at 5:30 is all. ;)

I have been in the same shop/classroom for 25 years and have 14 more before I can retire. Sometimes these walls close in but I the thought of retiring keeps me going because when I do leave then I get to to persue my "grownup job". (I want to be a greeter at Wal-mart. My line "Um... Welcome to Wal-Mart. Get your cr@p and get out. Have a nice day." )

Sent in my application for Social Security today. Been unemployed since Sep of '12. Looking forward to June when I get my first check and can stop the fruitless job search.

Been making a few bucks making wooden toys and gifts, so it's sorta been like retirement. I like it.

I'm like you Bob!! Now if I could just get Schoolmarm to wake up without the alarm like I used to.

Her's goes off at 6:30 and I'm getting to where I can sleep through it so long as she doesn't wake me up to take her to work!! :o:angry::lol::lol:

Day 4 and I feel much better already. woo hoooo! Down side is I had to take the garbage to the curb and I help cook some now. That is still better than driving to work though.

Just wait for that first really hard rain, home inside and looking out with a very big grinn :lol:

Just wait for that first really hard rain, home inside and looking out with a very big grinn :lol:

Smoken D, I have been working out in the elements most all my life with a few exceptions. I have been officially unemployed for 5 years ( not saying I haven't made any money or haven't worked). In January I went to a match with a couple friends and it was cold for here any ways. On the ride home I said to my friends, being unemployed really suck, not having a regular income, fiances up and down , good and bad. But with all the years I spent out doors in the cold it don't bother me not one damn bit when I am curled up in a nice warm bed when it is freezing a$$ cold in the winter time.

Day 5 and I still feel better though a little guilty still, so I sold another M1 carbine I had been planning on selling anyway. Now I worry about money. Health insurance will be high. It is not that I did not plan, it is I worry if my plan will work. For fun I tell my kids we are going to have to really save money and save water and electricity so instead of washign the clothes in the machine with well water I want them to fill a bucket from the pond and use a washboard and hang them on the line. I tell them we are going to raise goats to eat our grass so I can save gas mowing it. Then we will eat the goats for food, and live off the land and never go to town so they better make their clothes last. I told them to learn how to kill a rattler so we can eat it when we tire of eating goats. I am having a lot of fun with them about it.

seriously we do want a few goats, and chickens and MAYBE a milk cow and raise a couple of calfs to sell.

Day 5 and I still feel better though a little guilty still, so I sold another M1 carbine I had been planning on selling anyway. Now I worry about money. Health insurance will be high. It is not that I did not plan, it is I worry if my plan will work. For fun I tell my kids we are going to have to really save money and save water and electricity so instead of washign the clothes in the machine with well water I want them to fill a bucket from the pond and use a washboard and hang them on the line. I tell them we are going to raise goats to eat our grass so I can save gas mowing it. Then we will eat the goats for food, and live off the land and never go to town so they better make their clothes last. I told them to learn how to kill a rattler so we can eat it when we tire of eating goats. I am having a lot of fun with them about it.

seriously we do want a few goats, and chickens and MAYBE a milk cow and raise a couple of calfs to sell.

Mike . . . Day 6 will be even better. Yur plan sounds good to me. How old are the kids ? ( the children . . not the goats ;) ). . . and how are they taking to your plan ? . . . . . . :)

My wife told me today the reason she was apprehensive about me retiring was she was afraid we would start arguing and not get along and that she was pleasantly surprised that the first week went so well and added that she missed me as she talked to me more when I worked than she does nowthat I am not working. I am busy running errands or getting things done to make retirement better. I did not have time to run trains util today.

I started collecting a small pension from a former job at the start of the year, but I'm still working at a part-time job for the state. I'm 57 and still need the benefits package. In four years, I can start collecting a second small pension from the state. :)

Archived