SASS Wire Forum

Why carry a 1911 ? Because life's too short to carry

Rooster Ron Wayne

Good for you Sturm....but I also know a few military types and LEO's that like the larger capacity magazine (9mm, 40 S&W, 10mm, .357 Sig) and they feel they have the best pistol for their circumstances and comfort..and they don't feel outgunned either. To each their own ;) as a case can be made one way or the other.

GG ~ :FlagAm:

AMEN Brother .

Any Thing is better that a rock.

I Choose a 1911 for 99% of my needs.

I am not telling any one my choise is the right choise for them .

Its just the right choise for me. :)

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I carry my Glock 21everyday( duty gun) and a glock 30 as a backup...off duty i carry the 21 why? Cause its vey accurate, relable and 14 rounds of 45acp is hard to argue with. Feels great in the hand-gen 4 with different backstraps to fit different sized hands. The little glock 30 is one heck of a shooter too. Nuffin against 1911s,got one, love it. The 21 just fits my needs for now.

1911s are pretty, but my XDM 3.8 compact has 10 rounds of 45 acp and the spare mag is 13 more. t shirt and shorts gun is a Glock 26 gen 4 13 rounds of 9mm and a Glock 17 spare mag with 17. My Great Western 38s are pretty too, but I'm not carrying one.

Fanatical dedication or advocacy to any platform is to ignore the reality that different situations, i.e. formal or informal dress, hot or cold weather, crowd density, etc. may call for different carry solutions.

The inability or unwillingness to modify your carry methods and equipment to meet enviromental conditions will mean you end up carrying or concealing poorly or you avoid the situation altogether because you cannot carry to your preferences within the confines of a given situation.

The right choice for today and this moment is not always the same as it was yesterday.

For myself - my 90% gun is a Smith 340PD 357mag with Crimson Trace grips.

Small, light and easily concealable.

My 10% gun is a Springfield Armory XD45 with 13 round magazines.

I have "accessory" CHL's, yep laugh if you want. Depends on where I'm going and what I'm wearing. I pack anything from a Beretta model 21 A, to a Sig Sauer 245. And yes Creeker, my Darlin, I have considered this and have patented it. BTW, the XDS ROCKS!!!

Used to carry a S&W 637 .38 +P during the summer and a SA V-10 .45 ACP during the colder months or when riding the Harley during the nicer weather. Recently picked up a S&W M&P .45 ACP that looks like it's gonna let the V-10 sit along side the 1911 in the safe for a while. Kinda like the 10+1 capacity, and it is really sweet with the Apex trigger kit.

Fanatical dedication or advocacy to any platform is to ignore the reality that different situations, i.e. formal or informal dress, hot or cold weather, crowd density, etc. may call for different carry solutions.

The inability or unwillingness to modify your carry methods and equipment to meet enviromental conditions will mean you end up carrying or concealing poorly or you avoid the situation altogether because you cannot carry to your preferences within the confines of a given situation.

The right choice for today and this moment is not always the same as it was yesterday.

For myself - my 90% gun is a Smith 340PD 357mag with Crimson Trace grips.

Small, light and easily concealable.

My 10% gun is a Springfield Armory XD45 with 13 round magazines.

With all dem dar big words I think you is to smart to find your self unarmed ?

1911s are pretty, but my XDM 3.8 compact has 10 rounds of 45 acp and the spare mag is 13 more. t shirt and shorts gun is a Glock 26 gen 4 13 rounds of 9mm and a Glock 17 spare mag with 17. My Great Western 38s are pretty too, but I'm not carrying one.

I never thought I'd ever hear Old Slabsides called pretty. ;)

Creeker my friend, you left out ONE important variable:

MONEY!

Sometimes, we have to make due with what we got and can afford.

Now, as for me, I think I'm gona follow Joe Bidens professional advice and start carrying a big Shotgun.

Yep, thats his recommendation.

..........Widder

Creeker my friend, you left out ONE important variable:

MONEY!

Sometimes, we have to make due with what we got and can afford.

Now, as for me, I think I'm gona follow Joe Bidens professional advice and start carrying a big Shotgun.

Yep, thats his recommendation.

..........Widder

Absolutely correct.

I only entered this conversation because in my concealed carry classes, I see a number of folks that have "locked" in on one particular firearm and one method of carry. And while their choice may be an excellent one (the 1911 for instance), it may not be the best choice under all circumstances.

I have seen folks decide to skip certain enviroments or situations because their chosen carry is at odds with the realities of the attire or conditions.

When its 115 degrees out and I am in cargo shorts and a T - a cheap 32 semi auto is much better because my XD is too bulky to conceal well (without resorting to the obvious method of oversized Hawaiian shirts or "Hey, I'm carrying a gun over here - Shoot me first" concealment vests. .

As for the Joe Biden double barrel shotgun? Really hard to conceal and if anyone has ever seen me try to run a SxS.... Well, there is a reason I use a 97 in cowboy. :blink:

*QUOTE*

Why carry a 1911 ?

Got 7 1911s that sit home gathering dust.

Send em down here. I'll keep em dusted off. :D

So far, the reliability of my Para 13/45 is 100% Not even a stovepipe! It shoots anything that'll work the slide and it don't care about weather or anything. It is my choice for open carry and most concealed carry. 1911 with double stack mag capacity is my Idea of well equipped.

I have recently obtained a Taurus 450 in stainless with an unported barrel. It hides well even under just a T-shirt if I leave the shirt tail out. I mostly wear a T-shirt tucked in and a long sleeved dress shirt with sleeves rolled up a couple of turns and the tail out. It looks pretty unremarkable no matter what time of year! That will hide either choice, or both if I feel like I need 'em!

The Taurus will hide under a suit jacket, (which I don't even own) and it shoots 255 gr. semi-wadcutters or Winchester Silver Tips in .45 Colt. A couple of speed loaders has it capable of 15 rounds.

*QUOTE*

Why carry a 1911 ?

Got 7 1911s that sit home gathering dust. I carry a Glock 27 or a SW Shield,both are 40SW, much lighter and more reliable than a 1911.

I respect your Opinion .

I just dont agree with it.

I will put one or two of them 1911's to good use for you thow LOL :ph34r:

:FlagAm::FlagAm: :FlagAm: :FlagAm::FlagAm:

That depends what I'm doing that day and how I'm dressed.

I prefer my .45 ACP Para Ordnance P14 [1911A1 widebody] over most others.

Some days I pack a Glock 31.

MG

Normally a S&W Model 36; however, I carry a PPK when I am at a dressier occasion (a suit/tux and a PPK are made to go together).

Both are considerably older than I am and one or the other was always carried by a very close relative of mine until he passed away about 4 years ago. Carrying either makes me feel like I am doubly protected.

Been Carrying Mr Browning's 1911 Platform for a lot of years

Depending on the Situation:

One or Two Dancing Ponies in a

45 ACP 5 Inch Govt or Lt Wt Commander

9MM New Agent

380 Nite Series Pocket Lite

Normally a S&W Model 36; however, I carry a PPK when I am at a dressier occasion (a suit/tux and a PPK are made to go together).

Both are considerably older than I am and one or the other was always carried by a very close relative of mine until he passed away about 4 years ago. Carrying either makes me feel like I am doubly protected.

A tux and a PPK. James Bond would be proud. :)

Been Carrying Mr Browning's 1911 Platform for a lot of years

Depending on the Situation:

One or Two Dancing Ponies in a

45 ACP 5 Inch Govt or Lt Wt Commander

9MM New Agent

380 Nite Series Pocket Lite

I have a Colt Mustang 380 ( Mini 1911 )

I like it very much .

But I perfer My 1911 45acp.

I alternate between a 4" S&W Model 67 (I think that's the right model #. I don't read it, I just carry it :D ) or a 2 1/2" SP 101. Ammo wallet in a back pocket, speedloader in a front pocket. That way I don't have to think about anything except "point and shoot"...

The Smith has had the hammer bobbed and the square butt grip profile rounded to a "semi-square" and wears a set of modified Collins boot grips, modified mainly so a speedloader will fit into the cylinder. The SP101 wears a set of Eagle Secret Service grips that have been modified for the same reason. Both will disappear under an untucked shirt...

I have my order in for a SR 1911 compact.

I had the fisrt on in in my hand but I just bought a new Harley the same day .

So I passed on it . ( did not wont to )

But I am next on the list .

Well....this guy doesn't like the 1911.... :P ...thought you might like this Sturm :lol:

(caution: language)

GG ~ :FlagAm:

Yeah , but he's really ugly and his momma dresses him funny.

For almost 30 years my carry gun when I was dressed to conceal it was a .45 SAA with a 5 1/2" barrel. Otherwise I carried an S&W Model 60 .38 Special and later a compact 9mm Star M-43 in my boot. Now I carry the Star and /or a 1911.

Yeah , but he's really ugly and his momma dresses him funny.

For almost 30 years my carry gun when I was dressed to conceal it was a .45 SAA with a 5 1/2" barrel. Otherwise I carried an S&W Model 60 .38 Special and later a compact 9mm Star M-43 in my boot. Now I carry the Star and /or a 1911.

:D didn't endorse his looks either.

GG

Thats a face only a mother could love !

Ooops Kinds looks like me .

No Buddy Loves me .

No Buddy cares.

I am just a man and a 1911 or two No its three NO no wait its four

Heck when my SR 1911 Compact comes in it will be FIVE LOL.

Well Boys I had one of dem dare Plastic guns fall in my hands today at a Price I could NOT refuse .

I bought a Like New in the box with two Mags and a holster,

Taurus Millennium Pro PT145 45 acp for

(200.00 out the door .)

No it will NOT replace my 1911 carry gun .

But I did shoot it today .

And Yes I do like it .

10+1 45 acp wow ( ugly but Fire Power is good )

My primary carry gun is a Smith & Wesson Model 642 (the "hammerless" or concealed hammer Airweight model) because it goes anywhere in an El Paso Saddlery pocket holster, it's light as a feather, totally reliable, etc.

Life is too short to carry an ugly gun and it's pretty cute. True, it's not a .45. But if I think I'm headed to a gun battle I'll carry my Browning Hi-Power, a shotgun, or a semi-auto combat-style rifle. But headed to my office all of those latter guns are a bit over the top....

***Nubbins***

http://northamericanarms.com/firearms/magnums/mag.html

North American Arms .22 mag w/ clip holster. This is my preferred CC but it is normally in the vehicle. It looks just like a knife clipped to the inside of my front pants pocket. + cell phone.

http://www.berettausa.com/products/model-21-bobcat/

Beretta .22 Bobcat. This is what I usually throw in my pocket for around outside the house + cell phone. I have had trouble w/ my meth head neighbor and he gets really cranky if Friday is taking too long to get here.

When I am really concerned I will carry a Bersa .380 thunder in a front pocket holster + cell phone.

I equate CC as to golf clubs - use the club/gun for the given situation. This gives me an excuse to buy more guns and holsters anyway. Anybody else have holsters coming out their ears? Ankle, pocket, shoulder, hip, whatever..... I have holsters everywhere.

Jimmy

I'll add mine since it's different:

1903 Colt hammerless in .32

Very thin, no sharp edges to snag and/or print, manuel and grip safeties for peace of mind, points and shoots perfectly.

I have other revolvers and pistols that are bigger and meaner, and maybe better, that I might carry if attire allows. But the 1903 CAN go with me anytime.

My 95% gun is a Springfield XDs .45. because it's small enough that I never have to leave it home, powerful and accurate enoughfor any human predator and totally reliable. Yes, it only holds 6 but I fire about 2,000 - 3,000 practice rounds a year and I don't waste ammo on warning shots.

My wife carries a Kahr cw40 for the same reasons.

My 95% gun is a Springfield XDs .45. because it's small enough that I never have to leave it home, powerful and accurate enoughfor any human predator and totally reliable. Yes, it only holds 6 but I fire about 2,000 - 3,000 practice rounds a year and I don't waste ammo on warning shots.

My wife carries a Kahr cw40 for the same reasons.

I do like the XDS .

My buddy has one and it shoot very good for a small compact 45.

when the prices start to come down again , I might try and get one of this just for the hell of it.

Archived