SASS Wire Forum

Your Input on Team SASS

Colonel Dan, SASS #24025

Team SASS; I've posted my initial report on how I see the first operational days of Team SASS but I'm only one member of this team and it will be you all that makes this a success.

I'd be very interested in hearing your comments on such topics as how we are structured, our concept of the operation, rules of the road, our forum and your assessment of our progress thus far. The subject field is wide open.

As I said from the very start, we are a team and I certainly don't have a corner on the idea market.

I'd like to hear what you think so we can look at all angles and make this effort as effective as possible for the long term.

If you prefer to send me a confidential email rather than post a comment on this thread, please feel free to do so: coloneldan@bellsouth.net

Thanks for your participation and input...

It was good that SASS decided to have a dedicated forum to protect and defend our second amendment right "to keep and bear arms" (by posting annoucements and links to events, alerts, etc.). We are, after all, a shooting sport organization. I suspect, Colonel, that you had a lot to do with convincing them of that fact. Thank you. But, in another breath, I wonder how many of us check this forum regularly and are as involved as we can be or need to be at our state and local levels?

"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance". Thomas Jefferson

Six Shot, I can't answer you there--only our individual members can answer that question and only for themselves. I'm very confident however If the're sincerely interested in preserving, protecting and defending, they'll certainly be involved where they can be.

I take encouragment from those I've spoken to at matches as well as the demonstrated response sshown on our Forum here. I have faith in our SASS gang always have and always will until I'm proven wrong.

Thanks for your thoughts...

I would like to know how many SASS people use Team SASS or any other Cowboy related site as their only sourse of politcal second amendment related information. Are you a member of SASS alone or also the NRA, ILA, State Rifle and Pistol association or local gun club.

In other words is Team SASS a sole sourse or a duplication?

Just courious.

It was good that SASS decided to have a dedicated forum to protect and defend our second amendment right "to keep and bear arms" (by posting annoucements and links to events, alerts, etc.). We are, after all, a shooting sport organization. I suspect, Colonel, that you had a lot to do with convincing them of that fact. Thank you. But, in another breath, I wonder how many of us check this forum regularly and are as involved as we can be or need to be at our state and local levels?

"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance". Thomas Jefferson

You are expressing pretty much my sentiments, Six-Shot. Especially the last that I highlighted. I think I expressed that concern - another forum to be ignored. There was an initial flurry of activity, but in the past few days things seem to have tapered off (although the weekend might have had something to do with that).

That said, it has only been a week and we are all trying to figure out What It's All About and how best to make use of it. I think we are heading in the right direction with lots of good information about legislation to oppose or support, and rallies/demonstrations to attend. As Six-Shot points out, we all need to check it regularly. We also need to do a few more things such as before coming here check out the web sites of our legislators, and state legislative bodies, to see what new threats have popped up - or the few protective bills that get introduced. Also at the national level. Then come here and spread the word, and see what we have missed. Then, the most important - take that next step, stop preaching to the choir and write or call our legislators. Even if it seems useless, make the calls and send the letters. The anti-civil rights lobby is counting on our apathy.

I have one hell of a tough battle in that regard. My member of the CA Assembly - Wes Cherbro, never met an anti-gun bill he didn't support. Ditto for Noreen Evans, my rep in the CA State Senate. Member of the House? None other than the Hon. Mr. Mike Thompson, head of the House Committee on Gun Violence (or whatever it is called). And, of course, the ever lovely and reasonable Sens. Feinstein and Boxer in the upper house of Congress. But, I still make the calls and send the emails. Now we just need a few tens of thousands more to do the same. All across our Republic.

I would like to know how many SASS people use Team SASS or any other Cowboy related site as their only sourse of politcal second amendment related information. Are you a member of SASS alone or also the NRA, ILA, State Rifle and Pistol association or local gun club.

Just courious.

Redundancy is good. It means that the word is getting out through more than one channel. And being a member of more than one pro-civil rights group is good, but I've heard too many say things like "Oh, I can't be bothered to call/write (name of legislative rep), that's what the (name of group) is for." Well, all well and good to be a member of a group or three, but that doesn't absolve anyone of taking personal responsibility, getting off his butt and making calls and writing letters on his own. We can't pass off our civic responsibility to others. Kind of like "Yeah, I'm in the Navy" and expecting that someone else will pull on the halyard for you. A hole lot easier if we all pull together.

Rowdy, that would be an interesting piece of data to know, I agree.

In as much as the Wild Bunch saw this as way to involve SASS in a cooperative and coordinated way with other gun organizations, "duplication" would indeed show that it is an active reinforcing action of a combined effort. The more gun organizations we have singing the same tune the better and stronger our total effort will be. Given the anti-gunners always combine and coordinate their talking points and actions, we are resolutely using those same tactics against them. I see this then as a viable reinforcing action on the part of SASS and the Wild Bunch.

Subdeacon Joe pointed out a good quote pertaining to this from Eccelsiastes:

"Where a lone man may be overcome, two together can resist. A three-ply cord is not easily broken."

Our reinforcing intent exactly! :)

CD

Subdeacon Joe rings steel with his observations and concept of what Team SASS is about. He's right on target!

Thanks Joe...

Just putting in my two cents, Col. You're the one doing the heavy lifting here, what with organizing it, policing up the spam (some of which I find kind of fun - I can be snarky on it without risking offending anyone), and trying to give this motley crew some direction.

Just courious.

I am using this site as well as others. NRA, FN Forum, Perfect Union are recent visits to name a few.

GG ~ :FlagAm:

I anticipate after the intial burst settles down the Wire and Saloon will have many more posts in raw numbers that the Team SASS forum just due to their nature and purpose.

Team SASS was designed specifically to inform and call for action on the political front in the interest of our gun rights so naturally it will ebb and flow as events unfold on that scene and only on that scene. It's a much more restrictive/limited forum than the wide open WIre and Saloon.

SDJ, What's a halyard and why would you want somone to pull it? :unsure:

I think the lack of new activity is priimarily due to the holiday weekend. Holiday for some anyway.

The CO House was in session until about Midnight on Sat. There was a lot of opposition to the 4 bills, but they passed :angry: and the Senate will hear them this week.

As far as the format for Team SASS, we could maybe tighten up the thread headings. We could possibly standarize post subject headings into (State name) Update, National News, NRA updates, Legislator contacts/responses, Business Support,etc. Might be a way to more quickly go to a post in which you have the most interest.

SDJ, What's a halyard and why would you want somone to pull it? :unsure:

I think the lack of new activity is priimarily due to the holiday weekend. Holiday for some anyway.

The CO House was in session until about Midnight on Sat. There was a lot of opposition to the 4 bills, but they passed :angry: and the Senate will hear them this week.

As far as the format for Team SASS, we could maybe tighten up the thread headings. We could possibly standarize post subject headings into (State name) Update, National News, NRA updates, Legislator contacts/responses, Business Support,etc. Might be a way to more quickly go to a post in which you have the most interest.

:blink: Utah Bob is asking about a term? I thought he knew EVERYTHING! A halyard is a line used to hoist almost anything but a petard, e.g. sail, flag, yard, mast. Why haul on it? Why, to get something up. ;)

Just courious.

Personally this is one of several sources. I look at it more as a coordination point of information.

I see a single source philosophy to be foolish! No offense intended to anyone who reads this post.

One of the problems that this site has is that some information is not fact-checked well enough.

Also posts are not cross checked against other threads.

And or the date of currency is severally delayed. IE a recent post is obsolete. But not by rapidly changing events.

The other thing that is interesting is that I don't normally watch legislation in other states.

I would say it is time to be really well conjnected to other organizations in a methodical way, and to really reach out through other organizations. I do this with my local club by passing info back and forth. But I think more is needed.... we need to get on the pages of the anti-civil rights lobby web sites and chat rooms. We have thousands of members and we should solicit theyr help. Front page in the CC.

We need to get smart about social media.... do things like get on Google+ and comment after the SOTU address would have been great, but I could not figure it out fast enough.

I think a plan that is not broadcast by public web site is in order as well.

So much is being run quickly through legislatures these days, if it was not for a few vigilant people we would not know about it. Team SASS is a source of information, glad it is here. We need to inform SASS membership it exists, since many do not know.

Colonel, how about getting the "WB" to approve pinning a link on the main SASS "WIRE" and "SALOON" to the "TEAM SASS" forum or at least the most recent post to it

Archived