SASS Wire Forum

OT, Truck tool boxes.

Dorado

I'm looking to get a tool box for my Colorado. I've never really used them but I think I'd like one. I find myself wanting to keep some emergency tools and things in my truck, but I don't have any place for them that they wouldn't "walk off". So, What should I be looking for in a box? I've been looking at ones at Lowe's but I don't know enough to ask the right questions.

I would start with finding an aluminum box that will keep mother nature out ( dust and water). A good gasket system on the lid is important. Then the way it opens would be next (one lid hinged at the back ) or two lids (one on ea side). After that it will depend upon how much you want to store. Good luck.

All I really want to store are some basic tools, tire pump, jumper cables, and other little things like that. Didn't know if the Kobalt boxes were any good or if I should even bother.

kobalt boxes are very good for the price. might want to check out tractor supply if you have any in your area. you need to know if you want a "rail-to-rail" or one that fits inside the bed, a little bit harder to get into. also of note is the fact that you will loose about 30 or so inches of "bed space" . if you use your pick-up to haul stuff that might be a concern. if you have it for a "city-boy truck" then that won't matter as much

I have always preffered the single lid boxes. The double lids tend to leak unless you buy the higher end brands. Also, getting the 1/2 width boxes takes up less bed space. And for most people, the 1/2 box will hold the necessary items

I like the boxes that mount along the side of the bed because they are accessible and can easily be opened when a gooseneck trailer is hitched up. The ones I have provide plenty of room for the stuff you say you want to store. Be sure you get boxes with good latches/locks, though. The ones on mine have turned out to be pretty poor. -- GIT

I have always preffered the single lid boxes. The double lids tend to leak unless you buy the higher end brands. Also, getting the 1/2 width boxes takes up less bed space. And for most people, the 1/2 box will hold the necessary items

+1 on the single lid boxes.

I much rather prefer those also.

i have had a couple from Tractor Supply and they have been pretty good.

but many of these are made all the same with a different store name stuck on them.

I also prefer the deeper boxes to the shallow ones.

Dorado I've been real happy with the DeeZee I picked up at auto zone for the Dakota. Its never leaked, has latches on both sides but only locks on the driver side. Sure is handy to carry stuff you dont want in the cab, like a gas can.

The only thing that drives me nuts about the box is ice/snow build up inbetween it and the rear glass. Clunk clunk clunk clunk as you drive down the road. I now try to clean off not only the lid of the box but between the box and tiune window as well.

Well thanks guys, I'll look into the Weatherguard boxes. I like the single lid as well. I have one on my F350 but I'd like one on my daily driver as well. I don't haul a lot with my Colorado truck mostly my gun cart and smaller things, so I'm not really concerned with the loss of bed space. If I have something big to haul I'll grab my big truck and it's really not a problem then.

The Kobalt box I found is a low profile, rail to rail box. The manufacturer of the box is Better-built, with a Kobalt tag on it. Seems like its more than enough for what I'm wanting but I'd like to get the best one I can afford. So I'll see if I can't find a decent Weatherguard box as well.

I wanted a Lock Box for the back of the Truck to carry Emergency Kit, 2 Handguns, Ammo, knife, Firestarter kit, Water Purification bottles. My bug out Kit will fit in this.

Easy to install and out of the way. It swings out for easy access.

http://www.jcwhitney.com/undercover-swing-case-side-mount-truck-box/p3072588.jcwx?filterid=d50433y2009g211j1

Jake

Archived