SASS Wire Forum

Speer #13 Reloading Manual - Do you have one?

Buck D. Law, SASS #62183

Let me begin by saying that I already have a very accurate load using a 200 grain Hornady FTX bullet that is my hog hunting round for my twin .358 Winchester Browning BLR's. Now I want to play. Think of it as putting a 350 in a Vega, not something you see every day, but is possible. How fast can you make a Vega go? :)

I've read extensively about loading 158 grain JHP .357 pistol bullets for "plinking" and some have even used them hunting whitetail deer. One of the things I've read is the Speer #13 Reloading Manual has loading data for such a load. The loading manuals I have only list data for rifle bullets. If you have the Speer #13 manual or another manual that list loads for this bullet, I would appreciate a PM with the loading data.

Now into the realm of bleeding the brains of longtime reloaders. Assuming proper load work up procedures are followed watching carefully for signs of too much pressure:

1) Is there any reason this bullet (158 grain JHP .357) cannot be pushed to velocities in the 2500-3000+ range like similar weight bullets from a 7mm-08, .308, .270, 30-06, etc.? If not, what are its limiting factors?

2) Some of what I've read has suggested that it would be better to use a faster powder that requires less powder...being super careful not to overcharge. I've read of people using Trail Boss and Titegroup, but since I have Clays...is there a load? The thought process is the slower burning rifle powders end up being inconsistent in pressure because of the lighter bullet...therefore velocity...therefore accuracy. I don't know that this holds water since the previously mentioned calibers use rifle powder. Please share your thoughts.

3) What are the limits (FPS) of lead bullets with and without gas checks? I've heard that a lead bullet can be pushed so fast that it simply strips the lead and thereby fills the grooves. What say ye?

Buck,

I have the Speer manual #10 which list rifle and pistol loads and the max velocity listed for your bullet is 1866 FPS under the rifle loads. Is that what you're looking for? I can copy the two pages and fax them to you if you like or bring them to the match tomorrow. If you want me to fax then I'll need your fax number.

Waco

Buck,

I have the Speer manual #10 which list rifle and pistol loads and the max velocity listed for your bullet is 1866 FPS under the rifle loads. Is that what you're looking for? I can copy the two pages and fax them to you if you like or bring them to the match tomorrow. If you want me to fax then I'll need your fax number.

Waco

If you don't mind, bring them tomorrow. I see you got your login back. Good deal.

Howdy.....I have a #12 and it only shows going to 1738 with the 158 gr. jhp..but same bullet out of a 35 Remington going to 2357....Have fun building a Vega might want to talk to Grumpy... :lol::lol: ......Faygo

Howdy.....I have a #12 and it only shows going to 1738 with the 158 gr. jhp..but same bullet out of a 35 Remington going to 2357....Have fun building a Vega might want to talk to Grumpy... :lol::lol: ......Faygo

I hear ya. Grumpy Jenkins. I had a buddy who had a 350 in a Vega but he could never get it to hook up. It'd smoke tires forever though. Another dropped a 350 in a Gremlin. It was the fastest ugly car I'd ever seen. :rolleyes: If a 35 Remington can go 2357, I would think with a Lunati, some Hookers, an Edelbrock and a Holley, I should be able to get my .358 to hook up. :D Phiren Smoke sent me some data from #13 with the bullet going up to 2850. :)

Heeee Haaaa Buck I have a #10 speer manal..it list loads .158 muz vel 2782,2730,2850 max vel for 3 different powders :P

Heeee Haaaa Crazy Mingo :wacko::wacko::FlagAm:

oops :blink: Faygo on wrong page :P got it now...2850......now only if it'll hookup at 440 yds......hey Grump...... :D:lol: ...which way did he go???????

http://www.pennbullets.com/38/38-caliber.html

Link has good information on cast lead bullets.

If you click on the different bullet selection he lists maximum velocities and suggested powders.

Archived