SASS Wire Forum

well I guess I retired sooner than I thought

Trigger Mike

Well, I plan on moving and buying some land, and told my boss I was moving 3 hours away and since we are paperless I could work from home. After she ignored me a few times she finally said she would think on it and then ignored me a while longer until she finally said no, and then let up to two days a month. I explained it was not enough, she said it was my choice to move and held firm there. I tried to explain I really do not need her money but want to work to stay busy. She held to her two days a month even though I have done it many times over the past few years for longer periods at a time. HR intervened but she would not budge. So I offered to work 90 days from home to give them time to train someone. She said it was not acceptable, so I said fine. My last day is the 25th. I can retire now but my wife felt more comfortable with me waiting, but had no intentions of not getting land and raising our children on it before they get to old and leave us, so she was set to move regardless. While I feel we will be fine, it is sad to leave a job after 15 years. It is hard as well. I got the impression she did not believe me. I do not bluff. My old manager knew that about me but they demoted him in favor of someone younger. The business world sure has gotten cold and heartless lately. They act like they do you a favor letting you work for them. It is a relief to be gone in one way though I likely will do something once we get settled to keep my mind sharp. I just hated it to end this way. You do not get any benefits for retiring there anyway other than an expensive version of their health insurance that is higher than COBRA, so really not much loss anyway. Just not used to the idea even though I planned for it. I am 9 years early by their standards, but I doubt I'd have lasted much longer anyway. They were demoting whole sections of people at a time just cause and telling you it was not a demotion since you kept the same pay, just no longer salary and no longer at a higher pay scale, and would placate you and say maybe you can get overtime now and then the next day deny your overtime request. My favorite was when they demoted someone with 28 years experience and had been meeting his goals, and they tried to make it better by saying, "at least we made a place for him" so he could stay.

Sorry to hear about that. Sounds like the company I work for. I have learned that younger doesn't always mean brighter. Hopefully they will learn from their mistakes.

Good luck to you and your family.

TM, it sounds like the military today. They want you to fall on your sword for any error and then they give you the boot. One of our greatest leaders would have never made it.

The destroyer USS Decatur, DD-5, ran aground on a sand bar in the Philippines on 7 July 1908 while under the command of Ensign Nimitz. The ship was pulled free the next day, and Nimitz was court-martialed, found guilty of neglect of duty, and issued a letter of reprimand.

Best to you and the family.

I understand what you are saying about companies. Our two most repeated phrases by management here are:

"you guys are just lucky to have a job"

"you know you are free to seek employment elsewhere"

and they are prould that just the Aerospace part of our company is a 10 billion dollar a year company...but this isn't the company that made it that way. I believe companies are forgetting what got them to the position they are in.

When the job is no longer fulfilling or enjoyable...leave.

Wise words, UB. The whole premise of doing business today is different.

Companies can make more money from the handouts from Washington DC

than they can in the market place. I could write pages on the ills of commerce

today, but what the heck do I know and it would give Mr. Harris heartburn.

Mike, If misery loves company, I'm right there with you. Our facility of about 625 folks is shutting down and moving to China, Mexico and a little bit to two other US plants. I work for a worldwide outfit, and they are fast deciding that US manufacturing is not for them. Make no mistake, we were making money hand over fist, in fact, more than the two sister plants left open. I will get a trip to China and Mexico out of it, only because I wanted to stretch out the separation date as long as possible. After nearly 30 years, it is going to be a big change, I'm 59 and still need to work a while yet. They are covering our insurance (I have to continue to pay my part) for a year, and I do get a severance package, so it could be worse.

IMHO, one of the most important things that made this country great is the ability to manufacture. Having dealt with Chinese production the last several years and lived in Mexico for several years, they both have a long way to go to match US capabilities. I sure hope China will sell us what we need for the next war, we ain't gonna have anytbody left that knows how to make it....

Sorry to hear, quite likely they'll regret not being more flexible..Look at it as a new beginning!

My wife was recently told she might be better off retiring now, instead of waiting a few more years..The reason is by the time she hits the magic number, her benefits may be cut to the point that she would actually do better financially with early retirement..

I lost my job three years ago .

Do to the slow economy .

I went in to business for my self. ( I hade no choise )

It was the best thing that ever happend to me.

I wish I had done it years ago.

The hardest part for me retiring, which I did 3 times, was suddenly you feel useless. I retired from Amoco after 26 years, Quit to retire from an independent oil supplier after 5. Retired as a manager of a distribution company after 7, during which time I also ran a consultant business, which I sold to retire. Now I'm so busy with things I've put off, and things I dreamed about for decades, I can't believe I put these off for work. LOL

BlueJeans says I had withdrawal pains, I now have a clean slate and do what I wanted to. MT

Mike . . . . It will all work out for the best for you . . . . . .

I quit a good professional career early . . . . . and am so happy that I DID, . . . . . :)

I'm better off right now than I ever expected to be . . . . :)

Mike, ... I too am loosing my job of 13 years. I worked for an international aerospace corporation, that bought out the small company in town that made attitude control units and navigation sensors for satilites. All was fine until they rammed a massive contract down our throat then changed leadership on us. Anyway, we fought our way through it, putting in massive amounts of overtime, and working 6 day weeks. Last year we were bought out by an even larger conglomerate. Now political correctness, cleaning and polishing, and attitude adjustment classes are the norm.

Six months ago we were told they were closing our site, as the stock holders were not happy with out profit margin. We were to be closed by Thanksgiving. Then the fed's got into the mix as some of our contracts have NSA priority status. Our work force was cut by 60%, and we worked through holidays. At Christmas, more were let go, and a few more went the end of January. We have almost finished the last of the projects here, and equipment and test chambers are shipping out nearly every day. My last day is 28 Feb.

I get a severance, and I can get a retiree medical package that is slightly cheeper than COBRA, but I'm not quite 61, so retirement isn't an option yet either. Top that off with the new gun restrictions in NY, and my job search is now down along the PA border. As soon as I find some kind of work, I'm moving into PA. I'll have to do some downsizing, as I'm living alone in a 3 bedroom house now.

Best of luck to you. Getting knocked down hurts, but I've always gotten back up again.

Once the bean counters are put in charge, we're all screwed.Happened to the company I worked for, it's gone from this area now. Most production is now overseas/boarder. If we ever need a massive production capability like during WW II, it's not going to be here.....Buck

Archived