SASS Wire Forum

Team SASS: H.R. 35-Safe Schools Act of 2013

Charlie MacNeil, SASS #48580

I just read this morning that this bill has only 3 co-sponsors. This is terrible! There should be 50 co-sponsors to this bill! The following is what I sent, via nraila.org, to my Representative:

February 12, 2013

[recipient address was inserted here]

[recipient name was inserted here],

It has come to my attention that one of the most proactive bills regarding

gun rights in this country was recently introduced by Representative Steve

Stockman of Texas. This is the Safe Schools Act of 2013. This bill would

do away with target-rich environments, otherwise knows as Gun Free School

Zones, by allowing legally armed citizens, to include teachers and school

administrators, as well as concealed carry permit holders, to carry guns

on school grounds.

I personally feel that it is well beyond the time to pass such a bill as

Senator Stockman has proposed, and I am chagrined to see that only three

of his fellow senators have as of this date agreed to co-sponsor this

important piece of legislation. Consequently, I am urging you, Mister

Walden, to add your name to the list of legislators who feel that our

children deserve the same protection as the children of so-called VIP's,

up to and including those of our sitting president, receive.

Please become a co-sponsor of Representative Stockman's Safe Schools Act of 2013,

H.R. 35.

Sincerely,

I'll phone my congresswoman in the morning. She has been supportoive of positive gun legislation in the past!

Charlie (FYI),

Steve Stockman is a Texas Congressional Representative to the U.S. House of Representatives. Write to your Congressmen which represent the district in the state in which you live. H.R. (stands for House Resolution). It needs to pass the House before it is sent to the U.S. Senate so it's pointless to contact your U.S. Senators at this juncture.

Charlie (FYI),

Steve Stockman is a Texas Congressional Representative to the U.S. House of Representatives. Write to your Congressmen which represent the district in the state in which you live. H.R. (stands for House Resolution). It needs to pass the House before it is sent to the U.S. Senate so it's pointless to contact your U.S. Senators at this juncture.

The rep is who I sent it to. Sorry, I seem to have put Senator in where I meant to say Representative. Thanks for pointing that out. I'll fix it right now.

PS Just noticed that I did it in the body of the letter, too. Dang it!

Got this reply back this morning from my Rep:

Dear Charles:

Thanks for writing me in support for the Safe School Act of 2013 (H.R. 35). I appreciate you taking the time to contact me.

The Safe School Act of 2013 was introduced by Representative Steve Stockman on January 3, 2013. This bill
would repeal the 'Gun Free School Zones Act" which would allow staff, teachers, and administrators to
have firearms at school. This legislation has been referred to the Judiciary Committee, of which I am
not a member.

As a father, I understand the importance of making sure our children are protected when attending school. However, too often federal legislation is passed that doesn't
properly address each state's individual situations. What they think works in Chicago may not fit at all in Condon. That is why I believe this should be left to the state level.

Currently, Oregon State Senator Ted Ferrioli and State Representative John Huffman have endorsed a plan to make Oregon's schools safer. The proposal focuses on preventative
measures, treatment for mental illness, and enforcement tactics. The enforcement portion includes trained and armed law enforcement at every school, as well as the removal of "Gun-Free Zones" policies and signage.

I believe a state-led initiative will be more effective towards preventing a future tragedy in Oregon like Sandy Hook.

Thank you again for writing me about this issue. It's an honor to represent you in the U.S. Congress.

Best regards,

Greg Walden

Member of Congress

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Not exactly what I was looking for as an answer, but the news that our state reps are working on something to address this same issue locally is a positive thing. Now I need to write Mister Ferrioli and Mister Huffman and encourage them...

Howdy,

Law is important, this we know. Yet some things superceed law, this we also know.

Case in point, recently in Georgia, a deranged individual stopped a school bus,at gun point and killed the driver then took a student hostage. Currently, law forbids a school bus deiver from carring a weapon to protext students on their bus. Had this driver been armed, things could have gone down differently.

I drive a school bus, we have the same rules. I breake them!!!!! I carry!

So who's wrong!

At least my kids have one hard nosed SOB between them and distaster.

Archived