days, I have been attempting to locate .357 and .38 brass to replace
what we will lose. As many of you already know, the recent surge in
buying has resulted in no brass being available. This will likely force
us to forego participating in lost brass matches until things get
better. This is not a matter of my unwillingness or inability to
purchase brass but simply a matter that there is none currently
available. I suspect there are other shooters that are facing the same
dilema. I am of the opinion that the people in charge of putting on
lost brass matches should rethink their policy for now.

Well lets say you loose 150 pieces of brass for a big match. Starline's price is about .15 per piece of .38 Special in quantities of 500. So, 150 X .15 =$22.65. Given the cost of fuel, match fees, meals, hotels, etc., etc. I think that's a small amount of money per shooter given the total cost for attending the match. BTY Cablelas is showing both Winchester and Remington .38 brass is available. If you order from Starline, currently showing as backordered, it will usually ship within 30 days. Sorry just re-checked Cablelas web site no .38 available now.

TB

It's part of the cost of going to a "big" match. Do I like it? Hell no.......but it's part of the deal. The reason for a lost brass match isn't to make money from your brass. It's to save the time involved in picking up the brass. Picking up brass on a 25 person posse is akin to 1/2 hr+ a stage.

Visit/call some of your local ranges, expecially the ones with public lines, see if they have brass for sale. Many of them do.

CS

Once-fired 38 Special brass is available as ever on gun auction sites. I just checked Gunbroker.com and found auctions I could readily bid on. I'm picky and only buy lot sizes that fill a flat rate box, are all once-fired brass of a headstamp I prefer. I still can get what I want most any time.

I believe a properly run posse with the right people assigned to pick up brass with instructions to stop picking after 30 seconds does not slow down a posse...

or

...get one of those Boy Scouts to pick up brass, with similar instructions.

Fillmore

I've only been to two lost brass matches. Winter Range and EOT. I've never been to a state, regional, etc. That didn't pick brass? At EOT and WR you only loose the rifle brass thats 120 pcs. I dont likes to loose brass either, but I get it at matches with 600 to 800 shootets. Three shooting shifts for three days. Slow downs are a disaster and cause big problems.

This shortage thing will be short lived. Google used pistol brass, go to gun broker or call an indoor shooting range. You'll find what you need at regular prices.

I know money is an issue for most of us, but ill never pass up a big match I want to shoot for $20-$40 worth of brass.

My 2 cents

Ringer

Many folks shoot uncommon calibers that are hard to find in good times.

What Fillmore sez is 110% on the mark.

Let 'pickers' work till the next shooter is called at the very least. I don't care about SG hulls. I just want my .44's back.

LG

Well,

Since the rifle is seldom the last firearm shot on a stage, the spent cases from the rifle may often be picked up before the shooter is finished shooting the stage. Two folks picking up brass should be able to manage this rather quickly. Don't see a need to pickup every piece but sure could get most of it by the time the shooter clears the stage, the shotgun targets are reset and the next shooter is called. Every expense matters to most folks. Especially a family with several shooters. Maybe it's a generational issue as we were taught not to be wasteful by our parents & grandparents.

Hasta Luego, Keystone

I believe a properly run posse with the right people assigned to pick up brass with instructions to stop picking after 30 seconds does not slow down a posse...

ditto!

There is a "science" to picking brass (and I don't use a pecan picker). I can usually have a shooter's brass (including their shot gun hulls) waiting for them at the unloading table before they get there.

I pick brass at every match I go to. Its what I do. In theory it could happen at the National or World championship. Having 30+ posses efficient at picking brass and keep on schedual? I don't see it happening. I doubt WR started as a lost brass match, probably grew into it. I don't know for sure.

Are there more lost brass matches? Are lost brass matches comin in your area?

Ringer

Well,

Since the rifle is seldom the last firearm shot on a stage, the spent cases from the rifle may often be picked up before the shooter is finished shooting the stage. Two folks picking up brass should be able to manage this rather quickly. Don't see a need to pickup every piece but sure could get most of it by the time the shooter clears the stage, the shotgun targets are reset and the next shooter is called. Every expense matters to most folks. Especially a family with several shooters. Maybe it's a generational issue as we were taught not to be wasteful by our parents & grandparents.

Hasta Luego, Keystone

The wife and I pick up most of the brass at local matches and many times, especially if the rifle is not shot last, we have the brass picked up before the shotgun targets are reset. And, I want to stress that it is not the cost of replacing the brass, but the fact that there is none available in .357 caliber that I wish to purchase.

Sandhills Slim

Archived