SASS Wire Forum

Team SASS: COLORADO EMERGENCY!

Wolf Bane, SASS 13557

I know there are lots of Colorado cowboys on the Wire, and after spending Friday at the Colorado State Legislature, I am afraid we are in dire, dire straights!

The Democratically controlled legislature is fast-trcking the first 4 antigun bills through committee this upcoming week...although the bills were only formally announced Friday, the "public comment" time in front of the committees has been scheduled for Tuesday & Wednesday. If you can be there, join Indiana Jackson and I in testifying against these nightmare laws!

You can read the laws and the NRA-ILA Alert on my blog here.

These laws are brutal, designed solely to trip up law-abiding gun owners!

We need Colorado cowboys to get in touch with your state legislators TOMORROW, Monday 11 February and tell them you oppose this attack on our Second Amendment rights.

Thank you!

Wolf Bane

SASS13557

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They must be eating all that pot.

Wish the best.

I was born in Colorado and my heart will always belong to Colorado :excl:/>

LG

Looks like our guns might belong to Colorado too.

Bloomberg is heavily involved in this. I guess he hasn't caused enough problems in NYC. :angry:

We can have POT in Colorado. But Colorado is trying to tell us what kind of guns we can have, are water pistols next!

Keep up the fight....

CC

At a BARE MINIMUM THEY NEED TO EXEMPT TUBULAR MAGAZINES WITH CAPACITIES OVER 10 ROUNDS, or all M1860 Henry's and possibly any other lever or pump-action tubular magazine rifles will be outlawed! Unfortunately, I can't make it to the Tuesday hearing! Those who can, make your statements calm (as if we're all not boiling mad), clear and concise! We may be stuck with some of this cr@p. IF they pass the fee for the CBI/FBI background check on ALL gun transactions, they need to limit the fee that gun dealers can charge in addition to the $10 tax for the CBI, to some "reasonable" rate, so they can't charge $50+ to process a background check. While I don't absolutely object to buyers being checked for mental health and domestic holds (the latter are currently Colorado law for gunshow or dealer transactions), what I'm afraid of is that FFL's are going to be so overwhelmed with paperwork, they will either refuse to process such transactions that they don't make money on, that you won't be able to buy or sell a gun anywhere in Colorado!

If you read the bill as introduced, tubular magazines on lever actions are exempted

?15 (B) "LARGE-CAPACITY MAGAZINE" DOES NOT MEAN:

16 (I) A FEEDING DEVICE THAT HAS BEEN PERMANENTLY ALTERED SO

-2- HB13-12241 THAT IT CANNOT ACCOMMODATE MORE THAN TEN ROUNDS OF

2 AMMUNITION;

3 (II) A .22 CALIBER TUBE AMMUNITION FEEDING DEVICE; OR

4 (III) A TUBULAR MAGAZINE THAT IS CONTAINED IN A

5 LEVER-ACTION FIREARM."

But that doesn't make the proposed law much less palatable to me.

Every one of those bills lists the follows as 'justification'

"26 SECTION 10. Safety clause. The general assembly hereby finds,

1 determines, and declares that this act is necessary for the immediate

2 preservation of the public peace, health, and safety.

"

Really? How exactly do they do that?? Well, even VP Biden and Colorado Senate president Morse have publicly admitted that laws of this sort will not have any effect on violent crime, yet they keep trying to move them forward!

"what I'm afraid of is that FFL's are going to be so overwhelmed with paperwork, they will either refuse to process such transactions that they don't make money on, that you won't be able to buy or sell a gun anywhere in Colorado!"

That appears to be EXACTLY the idea.

That and requiring everybody who owns/wants to acquire a firearm

to submit to a psychoanalysis or some sort of psychological profiling (at their own expense, of course).

These idiots don't want you to have a gun...period.

Keep up the fight! I got relatives in Colorado, I don't want to hafta comply with such idiotic

crap when I visit there.

Bp

Wow Wolf bane....hope you guys can get a great turn out like they did in Maryland............call all the folks out cause we need to fight...

Prayers on the way in support...........

regards.......Wolf

PS; Good talking with you at the Shot Show.

Am forwarding to all my other CO pards....and I would have thought all these politicians have more pressing issues.. :wacko:/>

Well, they are also going to consider a standard for driving under the influence of marijuana.

A bit late perhaps. :unsure::rolleyes:

Has anyone ever heard of a "RECALL". we do have that right as Colorado Voters. :excl:

So, let's start one and send a message.....

Oh, by the way.

I can't wait until all the voters in the rural areas (farmers, ranchers etc) who voted for these clowns are told to turn in their guns etc...(rights) to see what their reactions are! They won't have anything to take care of predators( both 4 legged and or 2 legged)..... ;)

Respectfully,

CBS

I know there are lots of Colorado cowboys on the Wire, and after spending Friday at the Colorado State Legislature, I am afraid we are in dire, dire straights!

The Democratically controlled legislature is fast-trcking the first 4 antigun bills through committee this upcoming week...although the bills were only formally announced Friday, the "public comment" time in front of the committees has been scheduled for Tuesday & Wednesday. If you can be there, join Indiana Jackson and I in testifying against these nightmare laws!

You can read the laws and the NRA-ILA Alert on my blog here.

These laws are brutal, designed solely to trip up law-abiding gun owners!

We need Colorado cowboys to get in touch with your state legislators TOMORROW, Monday 11 February and tell them you oppose this attack on our Second Amendment rights.

Thank you!

Wolf Bane

SASS13557

Howdy I'm in springs gettin chemo with the wife.........I can be in denver tommorrow on tues morning......where should i go and how do I get there from I25.............Tuco.............Thanks for the info..

The following message was sent to me by Colorado State Senator, Kevin Grantham, Senate District 2. However, it applies to all Colorado voters.

We need you to come to the state Capitol on Tuesday, February 12 and Wednesday, February 13 to show your opposition and speak against the following anti-gun bills:

On Tuesday, February 12, House Bill 13-1224 and House Bill 13-1229 are scheduled to be heard in the House Judiciary Committee in the Old Supreme Court Chamber in the Capitol upon adjournment of the House. HB13-1224, sponsored by state Representative Rhonda Fields (D-42), would ban magazines that hold more than ten rounds. HB13-1229, sponsored by state Representatives Rhonda Fields and Beth McCann (D-8), would prohibit and criminalize the private transfer of firearms.

On Wednesday, February 13 House Bill 13-1226 will be heard by the House Education Committee upon adjournment in the Old Supreme Court Chamber, and House Bill 13-1228 will be heard by the House Finance Committee at 1:30 pm in the Old Supreme Court Chamber. HB13-1226, sponsored by state Representative Clare Levy (D-13), would repeal the current right to carry a concealed firearm for self-defense on a college or university campus. HB13-1228, sponsored by state Representative Lois Court (D-6), would require law-abiding citizens to pay a fee (or gun tax) for a background check when purchasing a firearm.

We need you to come to the state Capitol on Tuesday, February 12 and Wednesday, February 13 to tell state legislators, especially those serving on these committees, to vote NO on HB13-1224, HB13-1226, HB13-1228 and HB13-1229. Without your direct help this next week, these anti-gun legislators will steal away your Second Amendment rights! Please come to the state Capitol in Denver no later than 9:00 am to respectfully protect your rights.

Tuco

HEREis a map to the Capital

HEREis a map of the building

For those sending emial, Wolf Bane has links to the judicial committee on his blog.

Here are the emails for the Education Committee that will hear the bill to repeal carry on college campuses.

House Education Committee

Name Office Phone Email Address

Representative Millie Hamner, Chair 303-866-2952 millie.hamner.house@state.co.us

Representative Cherylin Peniston, Vice-Chair 303-866-2843 cherylin.peniston.house@state.co.us

Representative John Buckner 303-866-2944 john.buckner.house@state.co.us

Representative Justin Everett 303-866-2927 justin.everett.house@state.co.us

Representative Rhonda Fields 303-866-3911 rhonda.fields.house@state.co.us

Representative Chris Holbert 303-866-2933 chris.holbert.house@state.co.us

Representative Lois Landgraf 303-866-2946 lois.landgraf.house@state.co.us

Representative Carole Murray 303-866-2948 murrayhouse45@gmail.com

Representative Brittany Pettersen 303-866-2939 brittany.pettersen.house@state.co.us

Representative Kevin Priola 303-866-2912 kpriola@gmail.com

Representative Lois Court 303-866-2967 lois.court.house@state.co.us

Representative Jim Wilson 303-866-2747 james.wilson.house@state.co.us

Representative Dave Young 303-866-2929 dave.young.house@state.co.us

I will post names and email addresses for the Finance Committee when I get it compiled. They will be hearing the bill to add a state fee to each background check.

Grizz

House Finance Committee

Chair LOIS COURT Capitol Phone: 303-866-2967 E-Mail: lois.court.house@state.co.us

Vice Chair JEANNE LABUDA Capitol Phone: 303-866-2966 E-mail: jeanne.labuda.house@state.co.us

BRIAN DELGROSSO State Representative - District 51 Capitol Phone: 303-866-2947 E-Mail: brian@briandelgrosso.com

MIKE FOOTE State Representative - District 12 Capitol Phone: 303-866-2920 E-Mail: mike.foote.house@state.co.us

JANAK JOSHI State Representative - District 16 Capitol Phone: 303-866-2937 E-Mail: janak.joshi.house@state.co.us

DANIEL KAGAN State Representative - District 3 Capitol Phone: 303-866-2921 E-Mail: repkagan@gmail.com

JENISE MAY State Representative - District 30 Capitol Phone: 303-866-2945 E-Mail: jenise.may.house@state.co.us

JOVAN MELTON State Representative - District 41 Capitol Phone: 303-866-2919 E-Mail: jovan.melton.house@state.co.us

DAN PABON State Representative - District 4 Capitol Phone: 303-866-2954 E-Mail: dan.pabon.house@state.co.us

KEVIN PRIOLA State Representative - District 56 Capitol Phone: 303-866-2912 E-Mail: kpriola@gmail.com

LORI SAINE State Representative - District 63 Capitol Phone: 303-866-2906 E-Mail: lori.saine.house@state.co.us

SPENCER SWALM State Representative - District 37 Capitol Phone: 303-866-5510 E-Mail: spencer.swalm.house@state.co.us

JAMES WILSON State Representative - District 60 Capitol Phone: 303-866-2747 E-Mail: james.wilson.house@state.co.us

Sad to see that Colorado - one of the premier "Old West" states - is about to fall for feel good legislation that is about to sweep the country. I'm afraid that even in the deep South where I live, there will be similar legislation passed.

At a BARE MINIMUM THEY NEED TO EXEMPT TUBULAR MAGAZINES WITH CAPACITIES OVER 10 ROUNDS, or all M1860 Henry's and possibly any other lever or pump-action tubular magazine rifles will be outlawed! Unfortunately, I can't make it to the Tuesday hearing! Those who can, make your statements calm (as if we're all not boiling mad), clear and concise! We may be stuck with some of this cr@p. IF they pass the fee for the CBI/FBI background check on ALL gun transactions, they need to limit the fee that gun dealers can charge in addition to the $10 tax for the CBI, to some "reasonable" rate, so they can't charge $50+ to process a background check. While I don't absolutely object to buyers being checked for mental health and domestic holds (the latter are currently Colorado law for gunshow or dealer transactions), what I'm afraid of is that FFL's are going to be so overwhelmed with paperwork, they will either refuse to process such transactions that they don't make money on, that you won't be able to buy or sell a gun anywhere in Colorado!

Don't let exemptions for cowboy guns influence you...if they get this passed it'll only be a matter of time before they want the lever actions and side by sides, too.

You can find out about house bills by number at this LINK

You can find out more about the different committees at this LINK

Colorado General Assembly info can be found HERE There are links to get you to house and senate bills and whatnot.

How to stop them from being passed, that is the big question. I am emailing committee members on each law voicing my opposition with supporting facts. I am also emailing my elected representatives weekly as well as the Governor. If I can ever make it work out I will go down to capitol hill and testify at the committee or other meetings about a particular bill.

And maybe more important than all that, we need to be urging as many others as possible to do the same thing.

While we are at it, we need to voice support for HB 13-1187 that would over ride any new federal laws and make it illegal for any federal agent to try to enforce new federal gun laws enacted after January 1, 2013. Please, call and write the members of the House State, Veterans and Military Affairs Committee before the bill is heard on February 18.

HERE is a link to the schedule for meetings and such, and what they are going to be debating, but I'd imagine that is subject to change.

Sadly the bills for background checks and magazine limits both passed out of committee. The magazine capacity was raised from 10 to 15 however. The votes followed party lines.

Bloomburgs crew is running ads on local radio stations in support of the new measures, we need to counter that with everything we can muster.

Sadly the bills for background checks and magazine limits both passed out of committee. The magazine capacity was raised from 10 to 15 however. The votes followed party lines.

Bloomburgs crew is running ads on local radio stations in support of the new measures, we need to counter that with everything we can muster.

I guess they care more about knee jerking than jobs. The mag limit will cost them Magpul. Idiots.

The people in the Legislatures are supposed to represent the people that are paying their salaries and they are opening giving us the middle finger.

It might be about time for another revolution so those idiots find out what they are doing is so wrong.

Guest dalton masterson

I was watching it online last night.

One of the things brought up was about exempting tube feed .22s from the magazine limit. That might need to be addressed, as that makes tube fed Henrys in .17HMR or Mach2 illegal if they hold more than 15.

I enjoyed the testimonies though. Most of the folks I saw had their game on, and even the Democratic lawyer towards the end had some good jabs and points. I didn't completely agree with him, especially on the mag. limits.

DM

The vagueness of the language of HB13-1229 shows that the authors have not thought about how they will actually implement these "universal" background checks. The bill says that non-licensed individuals "must arrange for a licensed dealer to obtain the necessary background check." It also says that "the dealer may charge a fee of up to $10 for this service." It doesn't say that a licensed dealer MUST provide this service, nor how he/she will do it without entering the firearms to be transferred into his/her books. If the latter is the case, the $10 fee isn't much of an incentive to go through all of the bookwork. In addition, many prospective buyers are located in remote areas and must travel several hours to-and-from a dealer's location. This is especially burdensome if the CBI check takes days to complete thereby requiring two, or more trips. Anyway, I see nothing but problems arising from this procedure.

A better solution would be for the CBI to provide a separate portal into their background check system for non-licensees. This would enable buyers and seller to complete the requirement online and eliminate the travel and expense to actually taking the firearm to a cooperating licensed dealer. A portal such as this already exists at CBI for non-firearms related background checks. The latter is used by employers within the satte already. These checks only cost $6.75 and the results are available in minutes.

All this considered, this procedure will have no effect on either firearms safety, or crimes committed with firearms. None of the firearms used in the mass shootings in Colorado were obtained illegally. All of the perps passed their CBI background checks. The only exceptons were the Columbine shooters who were given firearms by a straw-purchaser who legally purchased them.

The democrats are attempting to cure the cancer in our country by administering aspirin. It's not a gun problem!

OK, have had a chance to think this thru a bit more....

So I decide to sell a firearm to Wolf Bane, we go to our friendly FFL guy

Who collects the normal fee from the buyer for the transfer, PLUS

Whatever the new CBI fee is PLUS

Up to ten bucks for me as the seller?

Not to mention that with both a NCIC and CBI check going on the system will be FUBAR so the FFL will wind up having to store the firearm for who knows how long while the paperwork clears, creating liability for him, and multiple trips for me and Wolf Bane.

Not to mention the hassle of tracking and submitting monies to the CBI for the FFL.

Oh yeah, common sense.... NOT.

Grizzly Dave,

Not to mention that the CBI returns approval numbers that have to be recorded on something - a form? Looks like the dealer will have to fill-out a 4473 and keep it on file, just as if he was selling one of his own guns. The end result of all this is that you will have to consign your firearm(s) to a dealer for sale/transfer. Again, none of the messy details have be thought-out, but you c an be sure of one thing - the customer loses. What did the Second Amendment say about "infringed?" Squint

Archived