SASS Wire Forum

NON CAS

Mose Spencer, SASS #63490

I have been collecting all of the info I can on this round.

I was curious if anybody is shooting it regularly . I have found some articles showing lower velocity cast bullets being pretty successful but knew if any one had tried it, it would be a cowboy.

Anyway this looks promising on paper anyway.

MOSE

I don't have one, but I've read a lot about them. If you plan to shoot sub-sonic ammo non-suppressed, consider a model with an adjustable gas system. Otherwise, you might have to change the buffer weight in order to insure reliablility.

I've considered getting an SBR and suppressor in .300 Blackout. IMO though, .300 Blackout is a one-trick-pony. Great for sub-sonic loads, but there are better AR calibers for all around use (like 6.5 Grendel).

I've got a 300 Whisper ( same thing ). My first one was a AR. I had it as a single shot ( no gas block ). You would probably need a adjustable gas block if you plan on shooting sub sonic ammo. I got rid of it and got a bolt gun. I shoot it supressed and like it. It is as quiet as a pellet gun.

Doc

As a matter of fact..... I just finished building one a few weeks ago and took it to the range to set the scope for the first time today! At 100 yrds I shot a 5 shot group, all touching one another. Not bad for first time out without even testing different loads! I'm shooting 150 gr supersonic loads, and plan to use it for deer hunting next year in certain places (most shots under 60 yards). I have some military pulls (147 gr) on the way also. The rifle has very low recoil, but is a bit loud, due to the brake I chose to use. Boy does it work though!

I am still working on a load that will reliably work the bolt, only shot it 2 times so far(too much time spent cas shooting). Sure, there are other calibers out there that might work as well or better, but most of them don't use the same bolt and especially important to us here in California, the same magazines. Oh, and I can make brass from highly available supplies of once fired .223. And choose from a huge array of .30 caliber moulds, as I cast for a ALL my guns, even the autoloaders. And he was asking about the 300 BLK, not what is the "best" caliber out there.

Two big divisions here: supersonic 300 BLK and subsonic 300 BLK.

Ive got an upper (made by SOTA Arms) and it functions flawlessly. I dropped it on a standard Spike's carbine lower. It runs on the same BCG, buffer, springs and PMags that I run 5.56. Upper was $300 (prior to the panic buying). I've run 500+ rounds through it with zero malfunctions.

I shoot Reminton supersonic factory loads. Ballistics and energy are very similar to a .30-30. For non defense purposes, it makes a great medium sized game rifle (deer, swine, etc...)

Its loads of fun to shoot. It is the easiest and cheapest caliber conversion for an AR platform. Just slap on your new upper and you should run like the wind. Very light recoil.

The subsonic stuff is what makes 300 BLK magic. Apparently loads of folks in the spec ops / ninja world are busting with excitement over what this round can do in a suppressed SBR for clandestine operations. I have no experience with this side of 300 BLK.

One piece of advice: When you load mags with 300 BLK, mark them somehow. I put a ring of blue electrician tape on mine. This will help prevent you from accidentally trying to chamber the wrong round in your rifle.

Heres a picture: http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b231/gsonnenmd/M4/DSC07794.jpg

I built a 300 BLK SBR using an 8" Noveske barrel and have been using it for over 18 months. I always run it with my AAC 762-SDN-6, and it is a sweet combination.

With match ammo, it is a sub-inch rifle. It also shoots several of Lehigh Defense's expanding subsonics quite well. Finding ammo was difficult even before the current crisis, though. Getting stuff to shoot is the biggest challenge to the 300 BLK right now.

I have a ton of 300 BLK videos on my channel, including ammo tests. You might start with the following two videos. The first one is a very popular overview of the cartridge and its capabilities (be sure to watch the watermelon tests), and the second is just a lot of suppressed, rapid fire shooting with both subs and supers that is my favorite 300 BLK "range time" video.

Archived