SASS Wire Forum

Bring me your tired, your poor, your bedraggled...

I've slowly come to realize that once a shotshell hull gets to the point that when you load it and the crimp crumples, it's probably going to do that forevermore. I had some AA's that were looking a little bedraggled, and when the second one crumpled for the second time, the light suddenly clicked on, illuminating the antique BGI roll crimping tool clamped to the end of my reloading bench. At that point, I had an epiphany: instead of trashing these still useful but obstinately uncooperative hulls, why not cut 'em down and roll crimp 'em? It takes a little longer to load a roll crimped shell, but doing that can prolong the life of hulls that might otherwise end up in the trash. And besides, roll-crimped shells look cool, too! :D/>

So, if you have hulls that won't take a clean crimp any more, you might think about rejuvenating them via roll crimping...

Or you can send me your tired, your poor, your bedraggled. As long as they're AA's or STS's :D/>

Do it all the time, get a extra few rounds out of them with the holy black

Have the band saw set to cut the hulls and the roll crimper on a workbench type drill press.

Hulls that are old or just won't do well on the LEE LOAD ALL go the roll crimp way. Don't like to

waste a good hull.

Black Powder Rules!!

...thanks for this post!!! I hadn't thought about roll crimping at all and I shoot 12 ga. shotshell loaded with Black Powder.... ...yes indeed!

That's what I do with my black powder rounds. This way, there is never any question as to what the round is.

UB we are talking about shotgun shells, not the other...

Texas Lizard

Well, it is Colorado and I'm easily confused. :unsure:

So does this mean I can stop watching the mail box for boxes of shotgun hulls to arrive? :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'll keep you in mind when my current stock of AA's gets even too bedraggled to roll crimp...

Archived