SASS Wire Forum

Team SASS: Minnesotans Beware

Bramble Mountain Buzzard

Minnesotans beware what is being proposed for legislation. It was no mistake that the President was here yesterday to help promote gun control measures. Here is what is being proposed:

HF0237

Fee of up to $25 for a Permit to Purchase (from $0). Police can extend processing time from 7 days to 30 days.

Makes a permit to carry only good for purchasing firearms up to 1 year after issue. (instead of the 5 year duration of the permit)

All transfers MUST be done at a licensed dealer. Dealers can't charge more than $25 for the transfer.

Loans extending past 24 hours must go through FFL.

HF0238

Felony to carry on school property:

Removes misdemeanor exemption for permit holders carrying on school property. (Also removes "a firearm carried in violation of this paragraph is not subject to forfeiture.")

HF0239

Adds a gross misdemeanor. for the first time, and a felony charge for the second time for carrying in an establishment that bans guns.

HF0240

Sheriff / Police can require you to get "signed off" by a state licensed primary care physician or state certified mental health professional before you get a permit.

HF0241

Defines "Assault Weapon" as ANY:

Semi-automatic that has the capacity to accept a detachable magazine and has one or more of the following:

a rifle or shotgun with a pistol grip or thumbhole stock,

any feature capable of functioning as a protruding grip that can be held by the non-trigger hand,

a folding or telescoping stock,

or a shroud attached to the barrel or that partially or completely encircles the barre.

That has the capacity to accept more than SEVEN rounds of ammunition.

Prohibits the above mentioned "Assault Weapons" Police / Gov't are exempt.

No grandfathering...

Any person who, on February 1, 2013, legally owns or is in possession of an assault weapon has until September 1, 2013, to do any of the following without being subject to prosecution under Minnesota Statutes, section 624.7133:

(1) remove the weapon from the state;

(2) surrender the weapon to a law enforcement agency for destruction;

(3) render the weapon permanently inoperable; or

(4) if eligible, register the weapon as provided in Minnesota Statutes, section 624.7133, subdivision 5.

HF0242

Large-capacity magazine crime:

"Large-capacity magazine" means any ammunition feeding device with the capacity to accept more than ten rounds.

It is unlawful for a person to manufacture, import, transfer, or possess a large-capacity magazine.

Police / Gov't are exempt.

No grandfathering:

(1) permanently alter the magazine so it cannot accommodate more than ten rounds;

(2) remove the large-capacity magazine from the state; or

(3) surrender the large-capacity magazine to a law enforcement agency for destruction

Don't get in trouble and loose your right to a single barrel shotgun. Send all your "Assault" Rifles and shotguns to me down here in Jawja. I can also accept all high capacity magazines at no additional charge. I do this as a public service for my northern friends. :rolleyes:

Minnesotans beware what is being proposed for legislation.

If they go through with that craziness, it will kill one of the finest shooting ranges in the region... the East Grand Forks Rod & Gun Club. Being located just on the other side of the Red River of the North and border between ND and MN there are a LOT of ND members. The Liberal Leftist Lunatics must be stopped! :angry:

If they go through with that craziness, it will kill one of the finest shooting ranges in the region... the East Grand Forks Rod & Gun Club. Being located just on the other side of the Red River of the North and border between ND and MN there are a LOT of ND members. The Liberal Leftist Lunatics must be stopped! :angry:/>/>

It's going to get ugly in MN. That's one reason I retired to Wisconsin. Condolences Buzz.

Everyone needs to keep a close eye on their state legislatures. That is where the most immediate threat is! This is a two pronged attack. A clasic pincer movement.

Just like Rommel. :unsure:;)

Everyone needs to keep a close eye on their state legislatures. That is where the most immediate threat is! This is a two pronged attack. A clasic pincer movement.

Just like Rommel. :unsure:/> ;)/>

How did Rommel finish in the long run? ;)

UB is right, the states are going to (try to) enact their own laws......regardless of The Constitution. In a less hostile public mindset, these laws would be struck down as unconstitutional.

Keep up the pressure on your elected officals.......remember who voted for what come the next election. Vote in EVERY election, no matter how insignificant it may seem.

Political rant off.

CS

Those of you who reside in Minnesota should write your governor and legislators and ask them what happened to their common sense. Did they throw it out the window the minute they got elected? Remind them that in the history of mankind, not one law passed by man or implemented by God has ever stopped a criminal from breaking the law. That's why they're criminals. These proposed gun laws will do absolutely nothing but make some law abiding citizens into criminals and provide more opportunity for criminals to prey upon defenseless law abiding (but misguided) citizens.

The majority of politicians could care less about the safety & well being of their constituency. What gun control means to them is power. More gun control = more power. It is up to us, the freedom loving gun owners of America to teach them that gun control really means hitting what you aim at and keeping tyranical politicians in check.

a shroud attached to the barrel or that partially or completely encircles the barre.

That has the capacity to accept more than SEVEN rounds of ammunition.

Any person who, on February 1, 2013, legally owns or is in possession of an assault weapon has until September 1, 2013, to do any of the following without being subject to prosecution under Minnesota Statutes, section 624.7133:

(1) remove the weapon from the state;

(2) surrender the weapon to a law enforcement agency for destruction;

(3) render the weapon permanently inoperable; or

(4) if eligible, register the weapon as provided in Minnesota Statutes, section 624.7133, subdivision 5.

No grandfathering:

Are they saying the shroud, or tubular magazine of a lever action?

Gotta get rid of them, get them outa state.

No "grandfathering" of what you posses before the law, if it does, goes into affect.

I can see gestapo style in house to house search of gun owners to see they comply.

These politicians are dangerous to the lose of freedom if this bill passes.

One state at a time, till they get to yours. The next mid-term election, maybe the last stronghold to freedom. Choose and vote wisely.Anarchy? MT

UB is right, the states are going to (try to) enact their own laws......regardless of The Constitution. In a less hostile public mindset, these laws would be struck down as unconstitutional.

Keep up the pressure on your elected officals.......remember who voted for what come the next election. Vote in EVERY election, no matter how insignificant it may seem.

Political rant off.

CS

YES!! A big +1

:FlagAm: I believe this whole mess will end up in the Supreme Court...I am sure if states start passing laws that seize guns that have been legal for years it will end up there. Does this law have a lot of support in Minnesota or is it one or two liberals who introduced the law? At any rate this is the time where, all over the country, we need to make a stand. Remember the important thing....The Constitution, therefore the law, is on our side. If we fight back, we win.

You All in the USA can still stop this thing ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, But gunowners need to stand-up and be counted and then attack them were it hurts in the wallet and through the loss of power of not having their elected possision ....

Kick out those that want to harm you .... Let the Know in No Uncertain terms that a vote against the 2A WILL cost them their jobs and then carry through on it !!!

Jabez Cowboy

:FlagAm:/> I believe this whole mess will end up in the Supreme Court...I am sure if states start passing laws that seize guns that have been legal for years it will end up there.

And speaking of Courts and writing to Congresscritters, here in Texas the Judiciary is ELECTED. You can/should ALSO write to any and all judges who might get a challenge to this. They need to be re-elected as much as any other politician.

Thankfully down here in Texas our legislature and executive branch members are very conservative, especially when someone wants to Mess with Texas gun laws.

I hope this true:

Gov. Mark Dayton, also a Democrat, has not wholeheartedly embraced new gun control measures; he told the Star Tribune on Monday that any changes would need support from rural lawmakers in order to get his signature.

http://www.sfgate.com/news/article/Minn-House-eyes-limits-to-gun-access-ownership-4251178.php#ixzz2K98lxbiw

Howdy

I spent the morning at the capitol at the hearing for HF241 (the "assault" weapons ban). There were WAY more people there to oppose the bill than support it. Unfortunately, because of the limited time they weren't taking public comments. After I got all dressed up in my suit and tie too! At least the NRA rep and the other people that spoke on the opposing side were well reasoned and articulate. One fellow even brought in a wood stock 10/22 and a "tactical" 10/22 to show the differences are just cosmetic.

I had a nice phone conversation with my state rep yesterday. It was the follow up to the emails I sent him and my Senator and every co-author of the bill and every member of the committee handling the legislation.

All my MN pards, write, email and most importantly, call you legislators and talk to them. Talking, even on the phone, is important because it makes you an actual person, not just another email. If you're talking to a Democrat legislator please try to be polite, articulate, factual and if possible, charming. Using phrases like tyrannical government and calling them unpatriotic, freedom haters will only get you labeled a "gun nut" and they'll quit listening.

Get in touch with me if you want. I'll happily share what I've already done and discuss what we can still do. This is just the beginning, they're working through preliminary language to put in an omnibus "gun violence" bill.

Riverboat Red

This mess will end up in the Supreme Court where despite all the writings of Madison, Jefferson, minutes of ratification meetings etc 4 of 5 judges all of whom are supposed to be constitutional scholars voted against the majority Heller decision. Not to mention the US V Miller decision that basically states military useful arms are the only truly protected.

We are one conservative justice dying or resigning away from not having any constitutional rights as when the 2nd amendment falls the rest will soon be gone.

Federalist 46 should be mandatory reading for everyone in government or even considering working for government or running for office.

Local reps might be working to ease us all into even worse times. When President Obama makes the expected announcement in March that the United States has signed the Small Arms Disarmament Treaty with the United Nations, and that possession of a gun after 30 days will be a felony conviction punishable by three years in a FEMA Labor Camp, all the folks sitting on thousands of dollars of ammo and hundreds of guns will be quite unhappy.

Local reps might be working to ease us all into even worse times. When President Obama makes the expected announcement in March that the United States has signed the Small Arms Disarmament Treaty with the United Nations, and that possession of a gun after 30 days will be a felony conviction punishable by three years in a FEMA Labor Camp, all the folks sitting on thousands of dollars of ammo and hundreds of guns will be quite unhappy.

If I've said it once on this forum I've said it 50 times. Obambam & hillary and Kerry the ketchup king can go cry in their beer. It takes 70% read that seventy per cent of the Senate to ratify (that means approve) any treaty before the US Government can enter in to it and that includes the UN Small Arms Treaty. They've been trying for the last 20 years to sign it. When was the last time you ever heard of 70% of the Senate agreeing on anything? The last time that I know of was Dec. 8, 1941 when FDR asked congress to declare war on Japan and her allies.

If I've said it once on this forum I've said it 50 times. Obambam & hillary and Kerry the ketchup king can go cry in their beer. It takes 70% read that seventy per cent of the Senate to ratify (that means approve) any treaty before the US Government can enter in to it and that includes the UN Small Arms Treaty. They've been trying for the last 20 years to sign it. When was the last time you ever heard of 70% of the Senate agreeing on anything? The last time that I know of was Dec. 8, 1941 when FDR asked congress to declare war on Japan and her allies.

How does Article 6, paragraph 2 play into this game? (Article 6 of the U.S. Constitution).

How does Article 6, paragraph 2 play into this game? (Article 6 of the U.S. Constitution).

Article 6, Paragraph 2 of the USC

"This Constitution, and the Laws of the United States which shall be made in Pursuance thereof; and all Treaties made, or which shall be made, under the Authority of the United States, shall be the supreme Law of the Land; and the Judges in every State shall be bound thereby, any Thing in the Constitution or Laws of any State to the Contrary notwithstanding."

But read Article 2 below.

Article 2, section 2, Paragraph 2 of the USC

"The President shall be Commander in Chief of the Army and Navy of the United States, and of the Militia of the several States, when called into the actual Service of the United States; he may require the Opinion, in writing, of the principal Officer in each of the executive Departments, upon any Subject relating to the Duties of their respective Offices, and he shall have Power to grant Reprieves and Pardons for Offences against the United States, except in Cases of Impeachment.

He shall have Power, by and with the Advice and Consent of the Senate, to make Treaties, provided two thirds of the Senators present concur; and he shall nominate, and by and with the Advice and Consent of the Senate, shall appoint Ambassadors, other public Ministers and Consuls, Judges of the supreme Court, and all other Officers of the United States, whose Appointments are not herein otherwise provided for, and which shall be established by Law: but the Congress may by Law vest the Appointment of such inferior Officers, as they think proper, in the President alone, in the Courts of Law, or in the Heads of Departments." emphasis mine

Archived