SASS Wire Forum

We Lost a True Champion!

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just fine it hard to think that he is gone !! Our prayer go out to the Family

" SLIM "

Prayers up for the Cat family.

I've never met them, but I've always believed you can be judged by the caliber of your friends. In this regard, it is clear that the Cat family is rich beyond all expectations. My deepest sympathies and most sincere condolences to them all. My their faith provide them with strength, understanding and peace.

We first met Lightning at the Colorado State Championship a few years ago; it was my first State match and I quite nervous about the whole thing. We drew against each other in the first round of the man on man. Gordon was next to me at the loading table and he reached over and shook my hand and wished me luck with a genuine smile .After the buzzer went off he proceeded to give me such a lesson in fast shooting that I will forever think of him as the bus driver ,he really took my ass to school!!! I think he was putting his guns back in the cart as I was trying to load my shotgun .Later that night after the awards as the dancing started he came over and asked my permission to dance with Babe Ruthless ,she couldn’t get on the floor quick enough ,I have never seen her be so spun around as she was by that young man ,after two or three dances she was delivered back to me totally red faced and looking radiant ,all she could stammer after she got her breath back was ”That boy dances like he shoots ,fast and in control”.

Since then I have had the pleasure of many long chats with Gordon over the years and we have drunk a lot of scotch beside the fire and around a poker table ,he and Parker are two of the finest young men I have had the pleasure of meeting . They come from a very fine family that personifies the values that all of us should be trying to hold ourselves too. If Babe and I had ever had children we would count ourselves lucky if they turned out half as good.

When we heard the news we both shed several tears as we talked about the man we knew, but by the end of it we were laughing out loud at some of his antics over the short time we knew him, there are not many people who can touch so many others in such a positive light especially in such a short time.

Fare thee well Gordon my friend , I will bringing a couple of good bottles of Scotch to Winter Range and anyone who cares to is welcome to find us in Spot 81 at the campground(Grey fifth wheel)and help me raise a glass to your fine memory.

Union Jack

Ever since I heard the news I've felt like I was kicked in the stomach. I was a posse member with the Cat family at EOT 2010. Lightning and Cobra made a permanent impression on me. The whole Cat family traveling and shooting together was an example of how we all would like to play this game. Never mind the skill these young men displayed. I'm fortunate to have met this family and pass along my deepest sympathy to them for their loss.

As with others, when I heard the news, I was shocked and deeply saddened. I couldn't bring myself to post on this forum right away.

As a traveling vendor and shooter, I've had the good fortune to spend quality time with Gordon. Always smiling and laughing, and always the first to offer a hand if needed. Needless to say, both him and Parker are "cowboys to ride the river with." Over the last few days, I've managed to reflect on all of the good times we've shared, and I thank the Good Lord for giving me the opportunity to know Gordon and call him my friend.

To Parker; Get well soon pard. I know you have a lot of support, but if you need anything, you know all you gotta do is call.

To Cat Tracker and Kitty Carbine; My deepest heart-felt condolences. You are in my thoughts and prayers. God bless you both.

Gordon, vaya con Dios my friend. Save us a spot up there, and I'll see ya on the other side.

As with others, when I heard the news, I was shocked and deeply saddened. I couldn't bring myself to post on this forum right away.

As a traveling vendor and shooter, I've had the good fortune to spend quality time with Gordon. Always smiling and laughing, and always the first to offer a hand if needed. Needless to say, both him and Parker are "cowboys to ride the river with." Over the last few days, I've managed to reflect on all of the good times we've shared, and I thank the Good Lord for giving me the opportunity to know Gordon and call him my friend.

To Parker; Get well soon pard. I know you have a lot of support, but if you need anything, you know all you gotta do is call.

To Cat Tracker and Kitty Carbine; My deepest heart-felt condolences. You are in my thoughts and prayers. God bless you both.

Gordon, vaya con Dios my friend. Save us a spot up there, and I'll see ya on the other side.

I have to say That I too have been holding off on the post as I just did not have the words.

I believe that our friend DRIFTER has said every thing I was thinking .

Good bye My Friend

MOSE

Shocked and saddened. I had the joy to witness these two brothers celebrating their wins at winter range 2012. I was not even sure who won what at first as they were equally excited. I have enjoyed watching them compete at EOT and was very much in awe. They are true gentlemen, very polite and extremely gracious winners. What a sad day for their family and for their SASS family, our prayers go out to Cobra Cat for speedy recovery and to the Cat family.

Hawley McCoy and Grazer

RIP. May the family of this fine man heal from this tragic event.

Archived