SASS Wire Forum

SASS Life Membership

Bear Saint Paw

I'm with John Boy, I'd rather (and do) send my money to the NRA. And no, I didn't become a life member yet. I don't send them money to try and save money, I do it so they can use my money for a good cause. So I send them my membership( and my wife and 2 kids' membership) every year, and add some to it a couple of times a year when I can. SASS is a for profit corporation, and I love it for what it has done for us as a sport/hobby, but I see no reason for me personally to send them more than I have to just to change the color of my badge. I don't even wear the one I have.

Went life with two different Shooting clubs/groups in the ole USA ,,,,,,And both went the way of the dodo in less than a year ,,,,,,,, Piszzzzzzzz there went my Dollars !!!!

One restarted with a slight name change in less than 3 months ,,,,,but no money back ,,, not even an offer of reduced rates to join ....

So i have sat here wanting to go "Life" ,,,,,,,but ....

And now it's $750 ......... A lot of cash to again risk ....

Jabez Cowboy

I, too, sent a message to SASS a month or two back about establishing a payment plan for life memberships. Paying in installments is the important part for me since it is the only way I would be able to do it. The price of the lifetime membership is also important, but secondary to me. I would prefer a sliding scale based upon the age of the shooter, but I'd pay the amount determined necessary to keep SASS solvent.

At the same time, you have to ask why you want a life membership anyhow?

* Do I have ambitions towards Territorial Govenorship? No.

* Would I do it to save money over the long run? Well, since I turn 60 later this year, I don't see myself breaking even any time soon--though I would hope to keep shooting long enough for that to come true--so saving money is not my motive.

* Do I want a gold versus silver badge so badly that I'd pay that much money just to have one? I have done some semi-extravagent things in my life, but that would be over the top even for me.

So why do I want a life membership? Because I'm devoted to Cowboy Action Shooting... it is my love, my passion, and many days its even a lifestyle. I know I don't even need annual SASS membership to shoot the dozens of monthly matches available to me... but I want to BE A PART of this sport, so I pay dues. But to me the life membership would make me feel that I'm giving back to the sport that has been/continues to be so important to me, and which has gotten me through some pretty tough personal times. I've already moved out of my comfort zone to help the clubs in my area... ROI/ROII certification, work days, setting up targets and props, attend meetings, run side matches and this year doing pre-registration for the State match. I see the life membership as just a different expression of that same need to support an organization and activity held in such high regard. It is a symbolic gesture of committment.

So, if I don't ever obtain a lifetime membership, will I participate less, stop volunteering, stop helping without being asked? No, in fact when I reach retirement my level of support and participation will no doubt increase. I'm in this for the long haul... what else should a lifetime membership mean?

If SASS could work something out, that would be GREAT.

Good responses and many interesting comments! Keep them coming.

I'm going to use Morgan James response to give my reasons. I hope you don't mind, we have a lot of similar thoughts on SASS.

"You have to ask why you want a life membership anyhow?"

* Do I have ambitions towards Territorial Govenorship? Maybe, I'm only 45 and only been doing this 3 years as of 2/17/2013, I hope for another 30 years.

* Would I do it to save money over the long run? Yes, any chance I can. For me today at current rates, It would take ~19 years for me to break even with a Life membership commitment. Who knows, maybe they would finish ahead, maybe I will...

* Do I want a gold versus silver badge so badly that I'd pay that much money just to have one? No, not a reason for me.

So why do I want a life membership? Because I'm somewhat devoted to Cowboy Action Shooting... (I have a 6 yr old son, which means sports, sports, ATV riding, Jeeping, Boating, lots of other things I have to divide my time between)

I also know I don't even need annual SASS membership to shoot the dozens of monthly matches available to me... but I want to BE A PART of this sport, so I pay dues. But to me the life membership would make me feel that I'm giving back to the sport that has been/continues to be pretty important to me.

I've helped setting up targets and props and attend meetings.

I see the life membership as just a different expression of that same need to support an organization and activity held in such high regard. It is a symbolic gesture of committment.

So, if I don't ever obtain a lifetime membership, will I participate less, stop volunteering, stop helping without being asked? No, in fact when I reach retirement (for me 12-20 years?? from now) my level of support and participation will no doubt increase. I'm in this for the long haul... what else should a lifetime membership mean?

If SASS could work something out, that would be GREAT.

I've got nothing against a SASS life membership, I just think an NRA Life membership should come first. I can't afford either right now.

So, maybe SASS should allott a certain number of life memberships per year, total. Maybe some of them as prizes in a lottery?

Archived