SASS Wire Forum

It Goes "BOOM!"

Subdeacon Joe

Nice picture of your back yard and your new "shootin' iron" :)/>

Be careful though . . . I think the new assault weapons ban might include those. :blink:/>

But if you put a plug in the magazine so that it only holds 9 . . . . then you might be Ok . . ;)

I just got an email from the VFW post commander telling me we have been offered another tracked vehicle in addition to the M109. He wouldn't tell me what it is. Said I have to come to the meeting on Tuesday to find out. :angry:

I'm hoping it's a tad smalller than the 109. Our display space is limited. A Stuart would be perfect but I doubt they have any of those left. ;)

I just got an email from the VFW post commander telling me we have been offered another tracked vehicle in addition to the M109. He wouldn't tell me what it is. Said I have to come to the meeting on Tuesday to find out. :angry:/>

I'm hoping it's a tad smalller than the 109. Our display space is limited. A Stuart would be perfect but I doubt they have any of those left. ;)/>

"M" 109 Joe! "M!" Not "ME" 109.

Danged coffee ain't hit yet. Had some really odd mental images there. And I rather doubt there are any Luftwaffe vets at Bob's post.

M109A5 to be specific. ;)/>

Boy that KMW Donut thing sure has a whiney turbine!

UB,

What, no Sherman? :mellow:/>

Well, beggars can't be choosers. :(

It's cool and all but it is almost too... clinical... too neat. There is just something about pulling tail on an M-109, or even the M-119 towed 105mm.

I was always partial to the Jeep mounted 106's or the Ontos.

Ontos

That jeep mounted 106 was something else. Aside for the propensity to tip over, being top heavy, it was a great idea. We had two (2) in A Company. I always felt sorry for the guys when they came in from the field, and had to clean that thing. First thing was to get it off the jeep, bring it into the barracks and then strip it down and start cleaning. Us guys in the Mortar squads would take the .81 apart, clean, lube and return to the armory, take a shower and shine our boots and the 106 crews would still be at it. By that time they were usually down to reassembly. You did know that SOME ASSEMBLY IS REQUIRED, didn't you.

That said, the Ontos looks like a piece of work. Reloading under fire might be a problem though.

That jeep mounted 106 was something else. Aside for the propensity to tip over, being top heavy, it was a great idea. We had two (2) in A Company. I always felt sorry for the guys when they came in from the field, and had to clean that thing. First thing was to get it off the jeep, bring it into the barracks and then strip it down and start cleaning. Us guys in the Mortar squads would take the .81 apart, clean, lube and return to the armory, take a shower and shine our boots and the 106 crews would still be at it. By that time they were usually down to reassembly. You did know that SOME ASSEMBLY IS REQUIRED, didn't you.

That said, the Ontos looks like a piece of work. Reloading under fire might be a problem though.

"Fire" they say

Then run away. :lol:

An odd thing indeed, the Ontos. An armed recon vehicle, if I recall the original intent. Leave it to the Marines to take a Thing like that and make good use of it.

They taught us to "Improvise, Adapt, Overcome" and we did. We got to shoot one of these in training just before leaving for Vietnam in 1969. Then they took them out if Service, go figure. We did have a single 106 mm recoiless to shoot, mounted on top of the Command Post.

Jake

I want one !

Dim mule deer up in da rocks aint got a chance once I git a bead on 'em wif dis !

Archived